Has anyone cruised Florida to New Jersey

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

How does Bermuda not fulfill PVSA?  We sailed from Manhattan to Bermuda and back.

You did a closed loop cruise..

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

How does Bermuda not fulfill PVSA?  We sailed from Manhattan to Bermuda and back.

PVSA is only in effect for ships embarking at one US Port and disembarking to a different US port. Round trip to the same port is a closed loop cruises and not effected by this law.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

PVSA is only in effect for ships embarking at one US Port and disembarking to a different US port. Round trip to the same port is a closed loop cruises and not effected by this law.

close, PVSA applies to both types of sailings leaving from a US port.

If the ship is returning to the same port, the ship still has to go to a "foreign port" before returning;  if returning to a different US port the ship has to visit a "distant foreign port" first. Bermuda qualifies a s a foreign port, but not a distant foreign port.

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The key is that you sailed back to your point of origin, so any foreign port would do.

but to go from one US port to a different US port you need a DISTANT FOREIGN PORT, which Aruba is.  Binaire and Curacao too.

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Oh yes it is.  The PVSA requires a foreign port on closed loop cruises.

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Oh yes it is.  The PVSA requires a foreign port on closed loop cruises.

But not a distant foreign port which in the Caribbean means calling on ABC islands. The rest of the Caribbean isn’t considered distant to allow transport between two different US cities.

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

close, PVSA applies to both types of sailings leaving from a US port.

If the ship is returning to the same port, the ship still has to go to a "foreign port" before returning;  if returning to a different US port the ship has to visit a "distant foreign port" first. Bermuda qualifies a s a foreign port, but not a distant foreign port.

Yes I am aware.

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is not correct.  PVSA covers all transport by sea from the US including ferries.  It just treats closed loop cruise differently from open jaw cruises between two different US ports.

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

This is not correct.  PVSA covers all transport by sea from the US including ferries.  It just treats closed loop cruise differently from open jaw cruises between two different US ports.

The difference is that they are required to stop at a distant foreign port between two different US ports. Which is why Bermuda doesn't qualify as a distant port for a cruise sailing from Florida to NY, NJ or Mass.

I would like to thank everyone for jumping in and providing so much information. This is a great community and very supportive. Thanks for the great tips!

I appreciate each of you! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, marci22 said:

They want $900 deposit for this cruise why so high? (regular room)

I did find that odd considering the cruise itself for an inside is only $1200.

Edited by FloriDUHMan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, marci22 said:

They want $900 deposit for this cruise why so high? (regular room)

7 hours ago, FloriDUHMan said:

I did find that odd considering the cruise itself for an inside is only $1200.

Why is this odd ?

it has always been a $450USD pp  deposit for years for a deposit 

We paid a deposit of $960;CAD for a cruise worth $1666 CAD for 2 which was 58% 

People in Retreat get upset paying 10% , the board would light with fire if they had to pay a 58% deposit 🤣

A couple times I've sailed from San Juan to New York, with stops in Bermuda, St. Thomas, Antigua, and Tortola. None of the ABC islands.    Is San Juan not considered not a U.S. port for these one-way itineraries?  

39 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why is this odd ?

it has always been a $450USD pp  deposit for years for a deposit 

We paid a deposit of $960;CAD for a cruise worth $1666 CAD for 2 which was 58% 

People in Retreat get upset paying 10% , the board would light with fire if they had to pay a 58% deposit 🤣

I recently paid $250pp deposit for another Celebrity cruise for a regular room. I thought $450 pp was for suites.

4 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I recently paid $250pp deposit for another Celebrity cruise for a regular room. I thought $450 pp was for suites.

Was it a special sale ? Or a short cruise ?

I know booking on the ship it is $100 a person,

the last sale I remember with lower deposit was 2019 and it was a $25 pp

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

A couple times I've sailed from San Juan to New York, with stops in Bermuda, St. Thomas, Antigua, and Tortola. None of the ABC islands.    Is San Juan not considered not a U.S. port for these one-way itineraries?  

There is an exception in the PVSA dealing with San Juan Repositioning 

IMG_1605.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Was it a special sale ? Or a short cruise ?

I know booking on the ship it is $100 a person,

the last sale I remember with lower deposit was 2019 and it was a $25 pp

No special sale, 8 nights. 

• Thanks 1

It would depend on the date of the cruise.  I personally like to start and finish my Caribbean cruises where it is warm.  

We found the Florida to NJ leg more than a little cooler.