Business class, No More?

Posted (edited)

No they haven't. They've just added a coach option so you can save money if you wish.  But the price with Business Class is clearly stated on the website.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BitburgBoy said:

As I’m looking at future cruises it appears that Regent has removed BC from transcontinental flights? 

Included Biz, yes. Those halcyon days of a great deal on included Biz air are over. Cruise-only fares are still high, but adding air, even coach, seems very pricey. I think we can blame the airlines and mass travel in general for this change, but I suspect Regent is not reducing base fares in any way to compensate. Just my opinion.

P.S. I wonder if they'll quote on Premium Economy now?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 2

The business add on listed for "ultimate cruises with business air is from NY JFK. If you, like most of us, fly from another city there will be a add on charge. The website recommends to do "plan my cruise" to get correct air. I'm glad we booked our next two cruises before July 1st. I think the best thing from now on is to get your own air if you can find a good fare or if you have lots of miles (we don't). The cruise fare alone has gone up also. I can't simply blame the airlines for this increase. I also noticed those included land tours from the past are gone.

Air prices have increased by huge margins. Cruise prices also but remember they always increase every 3-6 months. We are living in a very inflationary time but we are always seeing MASSIVE returns in the equity markets which are far higher than any Regent fare increases. 

I just looked at Regent’s website at cruises offered under the new terms, and have questions. Air is now add-on and is economy from “main gateways, other gateways and classes at extra cost”. So it seems that  the prior rather long list of gateways has been replaced by “main gateways” and “other gateways”. How does one find a list of these gateways? Also, under the former program, guests booking concierge it above received one night pre cruise hotel. Is that still the case? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I just looked at Regent’s website at cruises offered under the new terms, and have questions. Air is now add-on and is economy from “main gateways, other gateways and classes at extra cost”. So it seems that  the prior rather long list of gateways has been replaced by “main gateways” and “other gateways”. How does one find a list of these gateways? Also, under the former program, guests booking concierge it above received one night pre cruise hotel. Is that still the case? 

The precruise hotel is still included for concierge and above. It says this on webpage. BUT I think it’s vague about hotel to ship transfer. 

In my opinion, not much has changed except a little smoke and change in the angles of the mirrors.

18 or so months ago, cruises were priced with business air overseas with coach on domestic legs.  The prices were listed with "non use air credits" if you wanted to book your own.  Alternately, you could do "custom air" involving a fee if you wanted Regent to book it for you.  Custom air still exists.

Prices are now listed "Full Boat" including fancy air plus other extras or "Cruise Only", do the arithmetic for non-use air credit yourself.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

The precruise hotel is still included for concierge and above. It says this on webpage. BUT I think it’s vague about hotel to ship transfer. 

From the pricing terms and conditions: “FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Hotel Package applies to Guests 1 and 2 in Concierge Suites and higher and includes transfers from hotel to pier only.”

Dave

3 hours ago, forevertravel said:

The business add on listed for "ultimate cruises with business air is from NY JFK. If you, like most of us, fly from another city there will be an add on charge.

I wonder then if I fly from the west coast (LAX) to Japan or Asia or Australia, if I will see subtract from charge?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I wonder then if I fly from the west coast (LAX) to Japan or Asia or Australia, if I will see subtract from charge?

Do a dummy booking and see. It would make sense that it would be cheaper; but who knows.

Posted (edited)

Nothing has really changed.  Everyone is noticing the change because Regent instituted and it was visible to all.   But they have been doing this constantly, every time a book by date -- passes.

Contract fares are all over the place.  I still do some biz traveling as a consultant and book my own. I seen flight to South Africa as low as $5K or as high as 9K. To the Middle East from 4K to 11K

I looked at our Regent Tokyo of March 2024.  Booked in Feb 2023, the air credit was $4200 return from MCO.  By final payment the air was well over $6000.

Edited by PaulMCO

Agree with PaulMCO, not much has changed - other than presentation.  In process of booking a cruise - on short notice - bc air price quoted from JFK - When I entered my departure city - price did not change.  Believe we need to continue to do necessary research.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carolina cruisin said:

Agree with PaulMCO, not much has changed - other than presentation.  

What I have noticed is that the "Free" 3 day land pre or post land programs have disappeared from the Australian and Asian cruises.

A big difference.

They are listed  at bottom of page as available, but with a fairly high charge

13 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I suspect Regent is not reducing base fares in any way to compensate.

Why should Regent "compensate?"  They're in business to make a profit, so it's obvious that they're going to charge what they are charged for a flight.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Why should Regent "compensate?"  They're in business to make a profit, so it's obvious that they're going to charge what they are charged for a flight.

I'm talking about the base cruise fares. I.e., they used to be inclusive of business air (in North America), now they're not.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

IMHO, it hasn't changed that much - just presented differently.  Kind of an ala carte situation now - prices seem to be going up only with the normal rise of things. Did not see much difference in cost in booking my most recent cruise (after the Jul 1 change).

Here are differences I see of a February 2025 South American cruise we have booked. The included pre or post cruise land package has disappeared. The business class air is now $5,740, BUT from JFK, whereas before it was $5,450. If I check the price from Houston, the price jumps up to $8,210. But from Dallas, the price is $5,740. Go figure.

Not a popular thought, but maybe the west and east coast travelers have help pay for flights taken from the middle of the country and now we aren’t? 

I never took Regents flights, because I could always beat their price flying from Newark.    

Regent is stepping away from the rapidly rising pricing for air. They will include it if you want, but it has become so expensive that they don't want to to be associated with the rising prices that are beyond their control. Who can blame them? You can still buy it as a package...but if you have miles and/or are flexible and can travel early/late, price your own as well.

• Like 1

I haven't applied any of my 'spreadsheet geekiness' to this yet, but a cursory glance tells me that the fares have gone up noticeably.  Disappointing.  Expected, of course, but still disappointing.

For us, that was one of the things that distinguished Regent from the other cruise lines - 'one and done' shopping.  To me, it kind of cheapens the brand - but I'm not an MBA or a marketing whiz, so what the hell do I know, right?

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I haven't applied any of my 'spreadsheet geekiness' to this yet, but a cursory glance tells me that the fares have gone up noticeably.  Disappointing.  Expected, of course, but still disappointing.

For us, that was one of the things that distinguished Regent from the other cruise lines - 'one and done' shopping.  To me, it kind of cheapens the brand - but I'm not an MBA or a marketing whiz, so what the hell do I know, right?

Oh, I think you know much about this situation. Getting a “total package” from Regent was a major advantage in booking it. Pay one price and all is taken care of. Now, booking a Regent cruise (with all the necessary non-cruise services) seems like a hassle.

18 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Oh, I think you know much about this situation. Getting a “total package” from Regent was a major advantage in booking it. Pay one price and all is taken care of. Now, booking a Regent cruise (with all the necessary non-cruise services) seems like a hassle.

You can still get the 'total package" and pay one price and all is taken care of. 

Or you can more easily provide you own air...which is an option many people like.

Before we booked Regent’s air inclusive fare we always checked to see if we could do better. Usually, traveling east we couldn’t and took the air included price. Occasionally, traveling west, we could and we made our own air arrangements. 
I guess that is still the approach we will take. 

• Like 1