Help final payment is here

I'm a solo traveller and my cruise is quite expensive. I booked quite late but got a good room 5 rooms from the stairs. I was debating cancelling and rebooking until prices drop but wondering if its better to cancel and rebook after final payment. There are only about 2 good rooms left. When do prices drop usually? Can you get the same room if you cancel and rebook? Are some prople waiting for price drops so hard to get rooms?

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm a solo traveller and my cruise is quite expensive. I booked quite late but got a good room 5 rooms from the stairs. I was debating cancelling and rebooking until prices drop but wondering if its better to cancel and rebook after final payment. There are only about 2 good rooms left. When do prices drop usually? Can you get the same room if you cancel and rebook? Are some prople waiting for price drops so hard to get rooms?

Prices may never drop. It depends on the cruise, but often I have seen them do nothing but go up. If you have a room you like, I'd say it's better to stick with what you've got. No guarantees you'll get the room back even an hour later once you cancel.....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Prices my never drop for your cruise. If you cancel, your cabin becomes available to everyone including those that booked guarantees. Depending on passenger load Princess may or may not offer last minute rates. With this type of booking room selection may not be an option. If you already have a booking on a cruise you want then you should retain it. 

Edited by skynight

One you make final payment you are now into the cancellation schedule. So if you attempt to cancel and rebook, you will be subject to those rules and that schedule, meaning the fully refundable cruise fare up until final payment is now over.

You can call to refare your cabin if you think there is a better price or your TA can do that, but understand that re-faring an already booked cabin works under different rules than someone booking the cabin for the first time. 

If you really want to take this cruise, make the final payment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Travel is all about supply and demand. Currently leisure travel is in demand so price drops are far and few between. I wouldn’t rely on the price dropping.

You sound like a gambler...

Me, not so much.  I always book the room I want and then if a different situation presents itself I will investigate.  I have *never* tried to cancel and rebook.  In my mind I can see so many things going wrong...but they're probably just things only I can visualize!! 😄 Kinda like voices in my head, I guess!!

(I have only won an upgrade bid one time...but of course I knew what I was bidding on.)

• Like 2

Where is your cruise?  Some like Alaska cruises and week or shorter in the Caribbean are in higher demand than prior years.  Get a deal on those - not likely.

A very few will have price decreases like TAs.  The October TA on Regal dropped from $2300pp in a balcony to about $750 for a 21 day cruise.

So, you never know.  And oh yeah, that price went up after final.payment and not down.

Its the emerald princess canada new england cruise in mid aft. There are more aft rooms but i don’t want to move there. Thanks it sounds like i shouldn’t cancel.

• Like 2

I've taken several solo cruises. I usually book them after the final payment date. That's when I've seen the best deals. But I haven't had my heart set on a specific cruise. I look at a travel agency's website that has a page of low single supplements. Currently, there are not any bargains for Princess listed. 

Your last three questions all have variable answers. 

Will you be okay with the worst room on the ship (exaggeration) for significant savings on your cruise fare?

We book most of our cruises after the final payment date IF we see a significant price drop and/or deal.

Only you know what's best for your situation. 

• Like 1

IF there is any kind of last minute promo/price-drop, it might well come with GTY or RESERVE bookings.  In other words, you would not have any opportunity to keep the cabin you have.  Your cabin assignment could be ANYWHERE on the ship.   And you probably will not be able to change to a different location.

I believe that Princess has been offering low fares for the lowest level GTY bookings.  If you don't do the GTY, then you might not see a lower fare.

With the bidding system, many lower level categories could open up, as people upgrade to better cabins.   But, I still would not bank on any lower fares.  Not unless it is obvious that the ship is very under-booked. 

the way Princess shows fewer cabins than ever available for selection, and more and more held back for GTY bookings, it is harder to tell how heavily booked a cruise is.

57 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Its the emerald princess canada new england cruise in mid aft. There are more aft rooms but i don’t want to move there. Thanks it sounds like i shouldn’t cancel.

If you are picky about location, you probably shouldn't cancel.