What model of Reidel wine glass does Celebrity use

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Probably a lot cheaper to buy them at Winners 😉😁

Its the Vinum tasting set which has 4 different glasses. Im looking to replace 2 which broke. Can buy online but very expensive. 

21 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Its the Vinum tasting set which has 4 different glasses. Im looking to replace 2 which broke. Can buy online but very expensive. 

I guess ... tend to run ~$30 per stem.

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I was invited to a private wine and food pairing on my Ascent TA in April this year it was put on by the jewelry store onboard.   All the wines tasted were premium and above. One of the best I've ever had. 

Doubt we would get invited since we haven’t ever spent a cent in any of the on board jewelry stores

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Agree. it isnt often we ve seen Reidel workshop offered. . Been ages. but we have one offered on upcoming cruise

I just check our Sydney to Honolulu on Solstice and see if offered at a 10% discount of $82.99 per package. 

They are also offering a "Reidel Wine Workshop" for $45.99 (15% off) which is four different wines.  

Apparently the more expensive one you get to same wine in the wrong glass and then in the correct glass, unless I am nor understanding it correctly, and the less expensive one is just four wines, each in a Riedel glass designed for that wine. 

Edited by DaKahuna

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I just check our Sydney to Honolulu on Solstice and see if offered at a 10% discount of $82.99 per package. 

They are also offering a "Reidel Wine Workshop" for $45.99 (15% off) which is four different wines.  

Apparently the more expensive one you get to same wine in the wrong glass and then in the correct glass, unless I am nor understanding it correctly, and the less expensive one is just four wines, each in a Riedel glass designed for that wine. 

I just looked and on Eclipse it is tasting 4 wines. Didn’t see the more expensive one but could be the app

50 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Doubt we would get invited since we haven’t ever spent a cent in any of the on board jewelry stores

I did purchase a rather pricey piece of jewelry and a few days later was given an invitation to the premium tasting which IMO was better than any other wine and food pairing I've attended. It was presented as a wine and jewelry pairing and was surprised they didn't push anyone to buy. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I just looked and on Eclipse it is tasting 4 wines. Didn’t see the more expensive one but could be the app

I am looking at the web page, not the app. 

5 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

which sail date are you?

I'm doing a Caribbean cruise October 28th and see it offered for 20 off on my planner but I believe you now only receive 2 glasses and you pay for shipping. Probably not worth it for me. 

31 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Called X and found that it was only tasting on board. Stemware Not available to purchase. Anyone familiar with Vivant model? Happened to be in target today  4 glasses for $40.  Don’t know how to compare??

The Vivant stems are a little shorter and chunkier than the Vinum but I see no difference in the actual glass portion. None that I can tell anyway. They might be machine made rather than hand blown and probably dishwasher safe. JMO.

Vivant is Riedel's simplest line. In the US I'm pretty sure it's exclusively for Target. It's actually not mentioned on their web page (in the US).

It's a little (maybe a lot) heavier glass. Presumably still German/Austrian crystal. The stem has a seam, which bugs some people. The glass in the bowl itself is thicker. It's a good daily use piece of stemware, but doesn't have the "elegance" of the higher end lines. I've had them, and actually (sin of sins) have the stemless versions for daily use. I also have some of the Performance line (one of their higher lines), that we don't use as often as we should; the stems are too long to easily fit in the dishwasher without dropping the top rack, and my wife is scared she'll drop them and break them. And Riedel actually recommends the dishwasher for all their glasses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Vivant is Riedel's simplest line. In the US I'm pretty sure it's exclusively for Target. It's actually not mentioned on their web page (in the US).

It's a little (maybe a lot) heavier glass. Presumably still German/Austrian crystal. The stem has a seam, which bugs some people. The glass in the bowl itself is thicker. It's a good daily use piece of stemware, but doesn't have the "elegance" of the higher end lines. I've had them, and actually (sin of sins) have the stemless versions for daily use. I also have some of the Performance line (one of their higher lines), that we don't use as often as we should; the stems are too long to easily fit in the dishwasher without dropping the top rack, and my wife is scared she'll drop them and break them. And Riedel actually recommends the dishwasher for all their glasses.

I was at Winners/Homsense (live in Canada) this morning and saw them there but didn't notice the seam on the stem. I like the Vinum series which is what I purchased when I took the Reidel tasting certainly won't bother taking again if they are not offering the glasses.  Saw it on my planner for $113 Canadian thats with 20 off. No thanks.  I need to replace my Bordeaux glass which I use for cabs and a pinot noir one. 

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I was at Winners/Homsense (live in Canada) this morning and saw them there but didn't notice the seam on the stem. I like the Vinum series which is what I purchased when I took the Reidel tasting certainly won't bother taking again if they are not offering the glasses.  Saw it on my planner for $113 Canadian thats with 20 off. No thanks.  I need to replace my Bordeaux glass which I use for cabs and a pinot noir one. 

CAD $89 for two direct from Riedel. Plus shipping and tax. And their sold in pairs...

I really like mine, but their priced to buy once, not to buy replacements!

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Probably a lot cheaper to buy them at Winners 😉😁

It depends on the quality of the glass.  They make many different qualities.  I have seen them for sale at Target, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, as other retailers.  It depends on what quality of glass you want and what marketing ploy you bought into.  

Do they use Reidel  glasses for wine competitions?   🤷‍♂️

Personally wine tasted the  best when cruising down the street with my date drinking it out of a bottle wrapped in a brown paper sack that was purchased with no questions asked back in the day.   Cash was king.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Last Lion said:

Is the Captains Club wine tasting a worthwhile event?

It's ok if you're free and looking for something to do. Wines are all basic not sure may four or five merlot and a cab for sure probably from Chile.  You will not find high end wines at a free tasting 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Last Lion said:

Is the Captains Club wine tasting a worthwhile event?

It is if you want some free wine and have free time to kill.   Usually 2 reds and 2 whites.  They go over the basics about clarity, legs,  aromas, and how to act as if you know what you doing when sampling a wine. 

it depends on who is giving it.   Sometimes it is difficult to hear,  or understand the presenter as their first language isn’t English.   Drink the wine and enjoy the time.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 minutes ago, miched said:

It is if you want some free wine and have free time to kill.   Usually 2 reds and 2 whites.  They go over the basics about clarity, legs,  aromas, and how to act as if you know what you doing when sampling a wine. 

it depends on who is giving it.   Sometimes it is difficult to hear,  or understand the presenter as their first language isn’t English.   Drink the wine and enjoy the time.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I go for company at the table as I usually cruise solo and nice to chat with others. Agree with you about the presenter, most definitely not a sommelier and their English can be difficult to understand. I don't buy into the leg business. 

Posted (edited)

Well the reason that I asked this question is that I figured that the Reidel glasses on the ship would be more durable than the Vinum glasses I had previously purchased and broke.  Anyways what would be a happy medium between thin glass and durability for Reidel?  I also kind of like the variety specific part.

Edited by NMTraveller

The Reidel glasses are great.  Many different levels of them.  I have many of them as I drink and procure many different styles of wine all the time. The ones I have the higher end of the glasses are for pinot noir.  Both New World and Old World, there is a difference.  TBH very slight variances in the mid level ones but enough when you're spending a few hundred for a bottle to be noticeable.  A lot goes into wine presentation from the decanting, a very very open subject when and how.  To how much to let the wine "breath".  Reidel has a great line on all glasses, very well made, yes fragile, have broken many.  As with anything it is very specific on taste, some will never notice a difference in the wine well others will.  

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

A lot goes into wine presentation from the decanting, a very very open subject when and how.  To how much to let the wine "breath". 

There's a major difference between aeration and decanting.  The latter performs both purposes since it's done slowly, but the much simpler process of aeration definitely isn't guaranteed to deal with decanting requirements.

When decanting, one of the chief concerns is the disturbance of whatever sediment has collected over time.  I'd handle that last bottle of 2006 Cardinale pretty carefully.  On the other hand, I'd certainly consider aeration of a young, tannic red, but there's no percentage in going through the actual decanting process for a 2020 Cabernet.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Well the reason that I asked this question is that I figured that the Reidel glasses on the ship would be more durable than the Vinum glasses I had previously purchased and broke.  Anyways what would be a happy medium between thin glass and durability for Reidel?  I also kind of like the variety specific part.

I haven't seen these, but Riedel makes a line called "Extreme". Their notes are that they're designed specifically for New World wines. I assume that means fruit forward/higher alcohol wines. They are somewhat less expensive than Vinum, and the pictures at least look a bit heftier. 

There's a possibility they'll be on special on Prime Day next week. That was a Google hit tonight...

• Thanks 1