Money Saving Laundry Hack

When getting advise for our first cruise a lsdy said she and her husband ould buy a load of clothes from charity / thrift shops to wear on the cruise and they'd just throw them away afterwards!

On 7/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, Muffinz said:

I don't think we'll risk bringing some white laundry power with us in a zip lock bag.... knowing our luck we'd get stopped at Sydney airport and they'd search our suitcases and pull out a bag of 'white powder'... 😆

mind you we're staying in Sydney at the Hilton Pre Cruise and might find a coles or other small supermarket near by where we can buy some laundry powder?

but from memory I just used the bar soap in the bathroom on Celebrity to do our hand washing

Son-in-law's family were visiting from England a few years ago and decided to take everyone to the Gold Coast for a week.  His mother put washing powder in a zip lock bag (why, when she could have just bought some in Queensland) and was stopped at Sydney Airport.  Searched, taken aside for questioning and powder tested (apparently this particular brand looked very similar to the "other" white powder!).  Teenage grandchildren thought it was a great joke that grandma was being checked as being a possible drug smuggler but poor Sandra said she has never been as scared in her life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I pack my "Scrubba wash bag" and use the sheets or pods. hang everything in the closet - most always dries overnight. when I cruise with RC I pack it with me.  Princess, I use the machines. image.png.b1a65dd77ee41b48018a06313ed2fe3b.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shandryl said:

I pack my "Scrubba wash bag" and use the sheets or pods. hang everything in the closet - most always dries overnight. when I cruise with RC I pack it with me.  Princess, I use the machines. image.png.b1a65dd77ee41b48018a06313ed2fe3b.png

I’m curious as to the advantage of this gadget over hand washing. 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I would never, ever take anything on a cruise that needs ironing.

And this is why I find formal nights complicated. There are just some items that have to be ironed after being squished up in the suitcase, especially the men's shirts. 

I don't  mind ironing once for those nights. Makes for nicer photos.

But in general, I HATE ironing with a passion. The conundrum is I don't  like the feel of most polyester no iron clothing either. 

I also hate paying money for someone else to iron when that could be spent on a Mojito by the beach!

And to stay on topic ha ha - 

Hence why we bring our own laundry powder/sheets. 😉

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mycruiseobsession said:
On 7/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, cruiser3775 said:

would never, ever take anything on a cruise that needs ironing.

And this is why I find formal nights complicated. There are just some items that have to be ironed after being squished up in the suitcase

For formal nights, I wear dark coloured clothes made from knitted fabric, like light jersey (if hot weather), plus some good costume jewellery, that is bright and sparkly. I also have some tops with sequins for formal nights. Neither needs ironing. They come out of the suitcase maybe a bit crushed at the folds, but that drops out if hung in a steamy bathroom for a short while.

I also find that lightweight evening clothes are not suitable on many ships because they turn the air con down so low that you need a cover-up layer anyway.

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

For formal nights, I wear dark coloured clothes made from knitted fabric, like light jersey (if hot weather), plus some good costume jewellery, that is bright and sparkly. I also have some tops with sequins for formal nights. Neither needs ironing. They come out of the suitcase maybe a bit crushed at the folds, but that drops out if hung in a steamy bathroom for a short while.

I also find that lightweight evening clothes are not suitable on many ships because they turn the air con down so low that you need a cover-up layer anyway.

When I pack (I won't say 'we' because his lordship is a past master at weaponised incompetence 🤣), I carefully roll everything. Minimal creases and then use a wrinkle releasing spray. Works a treat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

And this is why I find formal nights complicated. There are just some items that have to be ironed after being squished up in the suitcase, especially the men's shirts. 

But in general, I HATE ironing with a passion. The conundrum is I don't  like the feel of most polyester no iron clothing either. 

I also hate paying money for someone else to iron when that could be spent on a Mojito by the beach!

Years ago both my adult children stopped ironing.  I called my daughter the Queen of Crush.

Then I decided if it was good for them it would be good for me, haven’t touched an iron in over 5 years.  Buy carefully, hang clothes in bathroom while you shower.  It works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I don’t think DW would be impressed if I started wearing sequins and costume jewellery! 😱

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Just a wash bag, but lighter than bringing a wash board.

And often hard to find a running river when you're on a cruise ship.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I wear dark coloured clothes made from knitted fabric, like light jersey

Ooh jersey, the one fabric that just loves to hug my curves and cellulite dimples.

• Haha 6

57 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

And often hard to find a running river when you're on a cruise ship.

Depends, some of the older ships can have one in the corridor coming out of one of the cabins.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Before we reached Elite on Princess we would use the laundrettes for most of our clothes but anything that needed ironing we sent to the laundry. Usually it was just Rolf's shirts and my linen pants. It was worth paying a bit to get them ironed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Before we reached Elite on Princess we would use the laundrettes for most of our clothes but anything that needed ironing we sent to the laundry. Usually it was just Rolf's shirts and my linen pants. It was worth paying a bit to get them ironed.

All I can say is that CC people are a very clean lot!🙂 Look for the sartorially elegant pax and no doubt it will be a CC contributor, that's if they ever get out of the laundry or the cabin bathroom.🤣

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

All I can say is that CC people are a very clean lot!🙂 Look for the sartorially elegant pax and no doubt it will be a CC contributor, that's if they ever get out of the laundry or the cabin bathroom.🤣

Well, I can’t speak for everyone but I put on clean underwear and a clean shirt everyday. I might get a couple of days out of a pair of shorts or trousers if I’m not sweating or getting dirty. And I certainly shower every day. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Well, I can’t speak for everyone but I put on clean underwear and a clean shirt everyday. I might get a couple of days out of a pair of shorts or trousers if I’m not sweating or getting dirty. And I certainly shower every day. 🤷‍♂️

I am glad to hear it.:classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, arxcards said:

I once brought a salad spinner (which was destined for the op shop anyway) along on a cruise with the intention of using it as a mini washing machine for my smalls.  

I honestly don't know what I was thinking.  I'm normally a necessities only packer, and don't usually subscribe to the whole "BYO pillow/hooks/salad dressing/blow up pool/kitchen sink with you on a cruise" mentality I see all over social media.

It also didn't work very well, handwashing was quicker and easier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I can sometimes get 2-3 days out of a t-shirt if it’s not dirty / sweaty…. On our cruise I alternated shirts and shorts every 2 or so days, but always wore clean underwear 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends, some of the older ships can have one in the corridor coming out of one of the cabins.

Are you sure it's the age of the ship?  Could be the age of the passenger, Depend being the operative word.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Are you sure it's the age of the ship?  Could be the age of the passenger, Depend being the operative word.

You would never see any passenger running on Princess ships, their walkers would break, :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

don’t think DW would be impressed if I started wearing sequins and costume jewellery!

Maybe you should try it. You might meet some fellow cruisers who give you a whole new attitude on life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok I hate ironing. But I have learnt how to iron fast since my kids go to private schools and the old  just hang up to dry doesn't work - it's so obvious. And wrinkle spray to me is just as much effort as a quick glide of a steam iron.

I love all the different  tips and tricks everyone uses. And I love how we all have different priorities. It's what makes the forum so entertaining!! 

One thing I have learnt  from this post though is I am definitely  looking forward  to that magic 16th cruise when I am Elite!! 

• Like 3