Money Saving Laundry Hack

4 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I never intended to open such a can of worms!

I just wanted to let people know that I’d found these pods on special at what I thought was a good price. 
I hope I haven’t offended anyone. 
If you get good results from laundry sheets, great!

If you carry a small plastic bag of laundry powder from home, great!

If you book a suite so you have extra room to hang your wet washing, great!

😁

If you want to go to Spain to get your clothes hose washed for free, great!!

• Haha 5

I've never used the cruise ship laundry (except once to iron a couple of things). I pack a bar of Sunlight soap in a zip lock and wash everything in the bathroom either in the sink or the bath (if there is one). Wring everything as much as possible and then roll tightly in a pool towel. Shirts, dresses, etc go on hangers (from the wardrobe) and hang from shower rail or towel rack and smalls over the shower rail or the in-shower clothes line (if there is one). Everything usually dries overnight. If something is still very slightly damp and I need it, there is always the in room hair dryer.  I tend to do the smalls on a daily basis so we are never caught short.

• Like 1

Yes Choice would be independent of affiliations and compensation from brands - aka thinly disguised advertising.

Seems Health Essential is not.

However my own personal experience for myself trumps any reviews, so for me laundry sheets are the winner.

but I'm sure nobody could get offended about laundry styles 🤪

and  I wouldn't say it is a can of worms - just an interesting discussion and everyone has thrown in their 2c worth

Thanks for starting it.🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

By using the two-stomp agitator?😉

In the absence of a handy rock🤣

Hey, here's a thought ...... Instead of brawling in the buffet, pax could release their pent up angst stomping on their laundry.😆

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

In all fairness I reckon "The Laundry" topic on the ships is a can of worms in general 😂

The things I have seen and heard about in those places are as drama packed as a soap opera! 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

In the absence of a handy rock🤣

Hey, here's a thought ...... Instead of brawling in the buffet, pax could release their pent up angst stomping on their laundry.😆

Or swinging a rock in a sock

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I just wanted to let people know that I’d found these pods on special at what I thought was a good price. 
I hope I haven’t offended anyone. 
If you get good results from laundry sheets, great!

If you carry a small plastic bag of laundry powder from home, great!

If you book a suite so you have extra room to hang your wet washing, great!

😁

I don't think a single week goes by where both Coles and Woolies won't have a special on one brand of laundry pods or another.

My personal recommendation is the Ka brand at Woolies, which is often the cheapest at full price yet is frequently on sale at 50% off.  But I wouldn't travel with pods - way too likely to get sticky and ooze everywhere if they get hot, wet or squeezed.  I use the Restor sheets posted above (also Woolies).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've enjoyed reading all the laundry hacks! We tend to cruise in summer temperatures so clothing is lightweight anyway. Late afternoon or when we come back from shore, we shower then hand wash the day's clothes.  I used to take laundry powder in a small cream/kid's drink bottle - never had a problem, besides, the "powder" is a very different consistency from the white powder that we hear about being smuggled across borders. These days I don't bring anything, I use the liquid soap/shower gel/shampoo & conditioner in various mixes, and take along a small bar of soap, the sort you get in accommodation when travelling, for any marks.

I pack clothes that will dry easily, ie no denim jeans. On a recent cruise with granddaughters one had a long white dress with a tightly shirred top, and whenever other granddaughter leaned up against her, or cuddled her, it would get yellow/brown sunblock marks on it, grrrr. This happened regularly! It was a nightmare to wash in the cabin, I got the marks out alright, but it was hard to dry inside, the tightly bunched top took forever 🥴

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I used to just use the supplied liquid soap to wash my smalls in the cabin, but it varies a lot in quality and especially in fragrance.  Last cruise, I bought an old fashioned cake of Sard laundry soap, and put it in a plastic soap bar container with a lid, which you can buy anywhere. It's the kind with a ribbed bottom, so the wet soap doesn't get mushy on the bottom. Works well, good to be able to rub it on stains, takes up very little room, won't deteriorate or leak, won't excite zealous Customs officers.

I use the ships clothes hangers with the twin clips to hang two pairs of underwear over the shower rose arm.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 3

Love cruising with Princess, as an Elite get laundry done for free.  Cunard also has great laundries, all free.  Pity next couple of cruises are with P&O, have to brave the laundry chaos there. Lol

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Love cruising with Princess, as an Elite get laundry done for free.  Cunard also has great laundries, all free.  Pity next couple of cruises are with P&O, have to brave the laundry chaos there. Lol

Woe is me 😭  I am still 4 cruises short to no longer need to enter the laundry!

Wow won't that be an experience  in 5 cruises time! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Go to the laundry early in the morning. The cruislings will still be recovering from the night before, so chaos averted. 🤭

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Woe is me 😭  I am still 4 cruises short to no longer need to enter the laundry!

Wow won't that be an experience  in 5 cruises time! 

There is a drawback.  As there are more and more Elites your laundry can take 2 or 3 days to be returned.  On one world cruise there were so many Elites laundry was taking up to 5 days to come back.

Still better than braving laundry rage, lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

but if you go later though the machines are already on so they are free, you just have to get the other clothes out first. 😀

And throw them on the ground?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

but if you go later though the machines are already on so they are free, you just have to get the other clothes out first. 😀

49 minutes ago, arxcards said:

And throw them on the ground?

Oh my!! You two are trying to start one of those infamous riots! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gwendy said:

There is a drawback.  As there are more and more Elites your laundry can take 2 or 3 days to be returned.  On one world cruise there were so many Elites laundry was taking up to 5 days to come back.

So what you're telling me is that I may well end up in the dreaded laundry after all?!

That's not fun! 🤷‍♀️😂

Just now, Gwendy said:

It's around 4 days currently. We planned for that.

Even though we now have the Elite laundry perk I still carry a small laundry kit for hand washing or if we need to wash something in a hurry. It consists of:

- Sard stain remover

- Sard soap

- A small travel bottle of delicates laundry detergent.

- Some laundry pods in a small plastic container so they don't get squashed.

- Jumbo zip-lock bags (the plastic bag washing machine - fill with water, detergent and clothes, seal and shake it all about).

- Inflatable clothes hangers, and I always have magnetic hooks to hang them on.

I used to carry one of those stretchy elastic clothes lines but when I checked it prior to the cruise it had perished and I never got a chance to get a new one.

So far I've only had to hand wash one item - one of my Camilla kaftans after I managed to knock half a glass of red wine over myself. Actually the silk didn't seem to absorb any of the wine and a quick wash got rid of any lingering traces. 

The laundry service has been excellent. They take such care when attaching the tags to ensure they are on a seam so don't damage the fabric. A couple of times they safety-pinned them on because the fabric was very fine. They've never shrunk anything of ours - I tested that out last year after buying some new polo shirts in Melbourne just before boarding a cruise. I wore one on the cruise, sent it in to the laundry then compared it to an unworn one.

7 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

So what you're telling me is that I may well end up in the dreaded laundry after all?!

That's not fun! 🤷‍♀️😂

It works well. Get the washing bags in early enough so you have clean clothes through to the end of your cruise. Much easier travelling with 5 days worth of clothes than 14 days. Just don't wait for a full bag of laundry to accumulate before getting your washing done. If travelling prior to the cruise, get a bag done on the first evening.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Barb has seen one first hand. They aren't pretty. It generally comes about when there is a queue for a machine, and the completed load is owned by someone who is in the buffet or getting some sunshine on deck - sometimes to return hours after the cycle is finished.

It is a pretty low act to dump the clothes. There is the other version, when they return to find their clothes all neatly folded in a pile.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Laundry pods at 10 paces!🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, arxcards said:

It works well. Get the washing bags in early enough so you have clean clothes through to the end of your cruise. Much easier travelling with 5 days worth of clothes than 14 days. Just don't wait for a full bag of laundry to accumulate before getting your washing done. If travelling prior to the cruise, get a bag done on the first evening.

We're putting ours in every couple of days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I went to use an iron once, found that the lady was swinging it around to keep someone away from a dryer. I left quickly.

Are you serious??!!! ☹️ I'm definitely doing the stomp in the cabin bathtub overnight!