Upgrade Worth it on new Sun Princess?

We are due to go on the new Sun Princess and we can upgrade our current room, a deluxe balcony to a reserve mini-suite. The additional cost is £480 (the cruise is 14 nights). We already have the premier drinks package so we would just be getting a nicer room and I presume access to the reserve restaurant and the sun deck? Can someone please let me know if this is worth it or not? Thanks

That is the total cost. I was just wondering if we would be better off putting that towards our excursions or if actually, the upgrade would greatly enhance our experience onboard. 

Posted (edited)

Only you can put a value on what you'd be willing to pay for service. With your beverage package you already have done what you feel would enhance your experience. Questions like this are impossible to answer since we don't know your income (budget) which is none of my business, , tolerance for lines or wait for dining room seating, would you do a shared table eliminating any long waits for a table in the dining room? How many people in your cabin? Look at the cabin categories and decide what fits you personally. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

I appreciate it is a difficult question to answer. This is our very first cruise and so we don't really have an understanding like seasoned pros would for value for money. We were very happy with the room we booked, but then when you see an offer for an enhancement it makes you question whether we'd be perfectly happy in the room we booked or from experience, the upgrade is a no-brainer. We would be stretching ourselves but this is for our honeymoon so we want it to be as nice as we can make it, but there is always balance with these things. 

• Like 1

I got a similar upgrade in June to a mini suite. I thought it was worth the difference- the Reserve restaurant is smaller, and you get remembered quickly so the host tends to put you at “your table” with “your servers”.

There are enhanced choices on the menu- for example in Reserve restaurant there was a veal chop (or similar) one night, whereas the veal option in the MDR was veal meatballs.

The cabin itself has more living space and a bigger shower cubicle, although the balcony wasn’t bigger. I also found a half bottle of white wine and a half bottle of red left for me.

your choice, but if I get the option again, I’m going to bid!

• Like 1

Choosing between the two often comes down to personal preference and budget. If you prioritize more space and luxurious amenities, the Reserve Mini Suite would be the better choice despite the higher cost. If having a private balcony is sufficient and you prefer to save some money, the Deluxe Balcony could be more suitable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did this and wouldn't do it again. ours was a 7 night cruise. On two nights we ate in the specialty restaurants, one night we skipped dinner, and once in the buffet. For three nights we ate in the reserve restaurant. It was nice but we still had to wait for a table ( 20 minute one night and 40 the other) so it wasn't worth it to me. 

There wasn't  a sun deck we could use with reserve because that doesn't kick in until October. 

Edit to add. We also already had a regular mini suite so that was a big factor 

Edited by juicyjuju

If I were you, I'd go for it.

It's you honeymoon, and money will always come back to you.

Time never comes back, and we're only here for so long, so enjoy it while you can!

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

You are asking very good questions!

Okay,  you mention RESERVE...  So, I am assuming you are sailing this summer, before Oct 14th.   (big changes at that time)

If this is true, make sure you know what you are getting.

RESERVE does usually refer to that dining room.  So, this can be a perk.  (but, on the SUN Princess, the two bottom levels of the three level dining room are VERY nice, with the huge AFT-wake-view windows.  If you can manage to snag a table in that area.   Go immediately upon boarding to the dining room, and let them know it is your Honeymoon!!!)

Do you have your dining reservations made?  Are you requesting a separate/private table for two?

You mention the Sun Deck...  So, by this, I am assuming that you are referring to the Cabana Deck, on both sides of the ship, on Deck 9.      ( NOT the Sanctuary Club Area, AFT, up on the top deck.  Which is for Suite guests, and some loungers are available for daily reservation/rental )

Cabana Mini-Suites THAT ARE ON DECK 9 have access to the exclusive Cabana Deck area.  On both sides... (Nice seating, Hot tub...).  There are Mini-Suites and also Cabana Mini-Suites on other decks.

Know that these Cabana Mini Suites are actually the same cabin area and layout as your Deluxe Balcony...  They are calling these Mini Suites because of the addition of the 'cabana area' between your cabin and your actual balcony.   (see deck plans, photos, videos)

All of these cabins on Deck 9 are like this.    The ones that are located on the exclusive Cabana Deck are directly ON the Cabana Deck, so perhaps not as much privacy.  Others can be just outside of your balcony on the Cabana Deck.

Again, check deck plans, photos, videos.

All of these Cabana Mini-Suites on Deck 9 do not have the standard height balcony glass and railing.

There is double-high blue glass.  This would be nice for any wind, but does change your view.  No leaning over the rail...

Yes, all of this can be very confusing!!!  Even if one is not a new cruiser!

Make sure you know the exact type of cabin. (cabana mini-suite, or regular mini-suite with RESERVE, etc)

If there are things that you are still not sure about, then ask again, and the experts will be glad to help!

Edited by Wishing on a star

We just sailed her in May 2024 in Europe, my daughter went from OV (family of 4) to mini suite, wasn't reserve at that time, she got more space and a 2nd tv with the pulldown bunk and sofa bed area. With beds down it has plenty of room to get through to balcony. About 400.00 total.   We had guarantee inside, ended up with cove balcony on deck 6. 

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

You are asking very good questions!

Okay,  you mention RESERVE...  So, I am assuming you are sailing this summer, before Oct 14th.   (big changes at that time)

If this is true, make sure you know what you are getting.

RESERVE does usually refer to that dining room.  So, this can be a perk.  (but, on the SUN Princess, the two bottom levels of the three level dining room are VERY nice, with the huge AFT-wake-view windows.  If you can manage to snag a table in that area.   Go immediately upon boarding to the dining room, and let them know it is your Honeymoon!!!)

Do you have your dining reservations made?  Are you requesting a separate/private table for two?

You mention the Sun Deck...  So, by this, I am assuming that you are referring to the Cabana Deck, on both sides of the ship, on Deck 9.      ( NOT the Sanctuary Club Area, AFT, up on the top deck.  Which is for Suite guests, and some loungers are available for daily reservation/rental )

Cabana Mini-Suites THAT ARE ON DECK 9 have access to the exclusive Cabana Deck area.  On both sides... (Nice seating, Hot tub...).  There are Mini-Suites and also Cabana Mini-Suites on other decks.

Know that these Cabana Mini Suites are actually the same cabin area and layout as your Deluxe Balcony...  They are calling these Mini Suites because of the addition of the 'cabana area' between your cabin and your actual balcony.   (see deck plans, photos, videos)

All of these cabins on Deck 9 are like this.    The ones that are located on the exclusive Cabana Deck are directly ON the Cabana Deck, so perhaps not as much privacy.  Others can be just outside of your balcony on the Cabana Deck.

Again, check deck plans, photos, videos.

All of these Cabana Mini-Suites on Deck 9 do not have the standard height balcony glass and railing.

There is double-high blue glass.  This would be nice for any wind, but does change your view.  No leaning over the rail...

Yes, all of this can be very confusing!!!  Even if one is not a new cruiser!

Make sure you know the exact type of cabin. (cabana mini-suite, or regular mini-suite with RESERVE, etc)

If there are things that you are still not sure about, then ask again, and the experts will be glad to help!

Hey, just to clarify this is a Reserve Collection Mini-Suite which is category: M1 and the location is midship. I have read a ton of info on Cabana so I know we don't have access to this area specifically. 

When you mention we should go to the dining room upon embarking, is this to book a table that we will have for the rest of the cruise when eating in the main dining? We have already booked our speciality restaurants. 

Thanks for your help!

The Mini-Suite will definitely give you more room than a Deluxe Balcony and an extra TV in the sofa area.  It's a question of how much room you need and want.  On the Sun, I find the difference in amenities negligible because all Balconies already have a sofa, whereas older Princess ships did not.  If you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin or have a port intensive itinerary, probably not worth it.

Having been upgraded to a Full Suite with this benefit, I can say it was nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.  Reserve Collection dining, in theory, will allow you to be seated any time with no or very little wait in a separate dining area.  In addition, there is an additional menu item on the menu.  I'm pretty easy going.  As long the waiters get my order right and get the food to me in a reasonable amount of time, I'm happy.  I also eat dinner later than most Americans so I'm not in line for dinner during the opening rush.  Between 7:30 and 8:00 pm, it's pretty much take any empty table in the regular MDR.  Not sure if you've made dining reservations or are sailing in September or after, but if you choose Traditional dining with Early or Late seating, getting a table in the MDR shouldn't be a problem.

As has been stated, the choice is personal.  Budgetary constraints should guide your decision as well.

It sounds like you understand all of these differences!

So, yes, this comes down to how much the larger mini-suite and the Reserve Dining Room might mean for you.  There are some upgraded menu items in Reserve.

The M1 Mini-Suite will have more room.  I believe it has a slightly larger bathroom?

Of course, you can look at the deck plans and videos, if you have not.

These Mini-Suites seem to have the standard (fairly small) balcony.

If you have a specific deluxe balcony that has one of the few deeper balconies.  That could be a factor.  But probably is not.

As mentioned, Mini-Suites used to be a nice upgrade from Balconies because the other ships did not have a sofa in balcony cabins.  Mini-Suites on other ships also have a small tub/shower combo, instead of  the very small shower with that shower curtain.  Mini-suites on other ships have a full height dining table on the balcony.  No table on standard or deluxe balconies.

But, on the Sun, Deluxe Balconies have the sofa.  The bathrooms are similar...  (no tub/shower) and the balconies are also similar.  So, not as much of a no-brainer.

Yes, if you do not have RESERVE dining, you can reserve your dining in the Main Dining Room.  Either on Deck 6 - for Traditional early or late seating.  Or on Deck 7 of the dining room for pre-reservations at any time, or walk-in. (could involve a real wait at peak times)

If you do not go with RESERVE, and want to have some reservations in the Main Dining Room for your choice of  dining times,  like same time/table/area/staff almost every night,  you would want to have this set up in your dining reservations. (on the APP).    Yes, people have had some luck getting a table they like, and asking to return there thru the cruise.  We did this on our last cruise.

We were offered an upgrade from our deluxe balcony for our 10 August Med' cruise, but I declined.

Too much of a risk ending up in a cabin with the huge glass wall or one with a rubbish view. Very happy with my deck 15 forward choice.

21 hours ago, FTerrier17 said:

I appreciate it is a difficult question to answer. This is our very first cruise and so we don't really have an understanding like seasoned pros would for value for money. We were very happy with the room we booked, but then when you see an offer for an enhancement it makes you question whether we'd be perfectly happy in the room we booked or from experience, the upgrade is a no-brainer. We would be stretching ourselves but this is for our honeymoon so we want it to be as nice as we can make it, but there is always balance with these things. 

Are you referring to a Sanctuary mini that includes reserve dining or just a reserve mini?  

I believe she said that she is referring to an M1 Mini-Suite.  This is NOT a Cabana Deck Mini or a Sanctuary Mini.   I do not believe that it could be on Deck 9 (with the double high blue glass), as these are Cabana Deck Mini-Suites.

She mentioned a sun-deck????    But I am not for sure what she was referring to, as the Cabana Deck sun deck is only for those Cabana Minis on Deck 9.   (with the double high blue glass)

And, Sanctuary class Mini-Suites go into effect after October 14.

If this is a RESERVE Mini-SUITE, then this must be sailing before Oct. 14.

Reserve category will no longer exists after that.  (except for prior bookings that are 'grandfathered in'.

On 7/11/2024 at 5:23 PM, FTerrier17 said:

If you have never cruised before, stick with what you have