Laundry

We have never sailed with Celebrity before and are excited about our upcoming cruise around Japan on Millennium in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me whether there are any irons on board Celebrity ships (doesn't look like it!) I know that there are no facilities for washing your own clothes, but I was wondering about ironing. Is there anywhere to iron your clothing or can you have just two or three items pressed (NOT washed) by the staff?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, to clarify my question: just thinking of linen/cotton shirts etc on "Evening Chic" nights. Would prefer NOT to show up to dinner in badly wrinkled clothing!

Posted (edited)

No irons or ironing boards.

There is a comprehensive list in your cabin when you board with prices for pressing, washing and dry cleaning. Not cheap but perfectly acceptable if you just want a few shirts etc pressed. Let your room attendant know what you want to send to press and fill in the form.

Usually mid cruise there is an ‘all you can squeeze in a bag’ laundry offer, much cheaper than laundry by item. This comes back folded but not pressed. Not good for delicates but great for underwear, shorts, T-shirts etc. Look out for the offer in the ‘Today’ leaflet.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Along the same lines, I purchased a 3 bag laundry deal with the Apex. Talks about 'going home bag' but I assume I can use it anytime during my cruise??? Can someone please advise if it can be used throughout the cruise.

24 minutes ago, coldinerie said:

Along the same lines, I purchased a 3 bag laundry deal with the Apex. Talks about 'going home bag' but I assume I can use it anytime during my cruise??? Can someone please advise if it can be used throughout the cruise.

Use it any time.  

3 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Sorry, to clarify my question: just thinking of linen/cotton shirts etc on "Evening Chic" nights. Would prefer NOT to show up to dinner in badly wrinkled clothing!

I bought a dewrinkle spray in travel size.  I’ve used a big size before with decent results…either this works or we will be wrinkly as well. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You can also dewrinkle your clothes by running the shower.

You can get quite a few items into a laundry bag by rolling them tight.  Look for the laundry bag sales on the holidays...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

I pack our dinner shirts with layer of cleaner plastic bag which helps keep them neat.  I lay them flat in the bottom of the suitcase and wrap the excess length over the central packed items and it works quite well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I pack our dinner shirts with layer of cleaner plastic bag which helps keep them neat.  I lay them flat in the bottom of the suitcase and wrap the excess length over the central packed items and it works quite well.  

I do the same; however, I place the pressed shirts in the cleaner bag on top of everything in the case

• Thanks 1

Just back from a June 18 cruise from Rome to Barcelona.  We had six days of vacation in Italy prior to boarding the ship, so knew we would have to use the ships laundry services.   We were never offered any "deals" or "specials" for laundry. (well, except a 10 percent off for Classics deal)  We would have done far better with a per bag price, but we had to pay per item.   There was a laundry list in which we had to complete and turn in with the items.   Our family of four accrued quiet a bill for services, but really had no choice.  I wish the return ticket on the laundered items would print the final charge of the laundry because we never saw the final price until we received our folio after the cruise. That disturbed me since I had no way to check if the charges were accurate. 

I recommend the anti wrinkle sprays for smoothing out wrinkles.  We found that in the end the wrinkles really are not that noticeable in a dim lighted dinner room. Remember we are all in the same boat when it comes to wrinkled clothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While you wouldn’t be able to see an item by item price, you could certainly see what you paid for laundry on a daily basis by looking at your Paul either on your stateroom tv or on the app, or am I going to guest relations and asking for a printout.

We bring easy to hand wash items  and do a few at a time..drip dry in the shower . We  save laundry  expenditure  for undies.

Glad we are E + and each get  a free bag.. never send anything that can shrink in very hot water,  or get ruined/ lost

Posted (edited)

I bring a cruise ship acceptable inexpensive 1 1/2" flat iron that I purchased at Target (I've never used on my hair) and am able to touch up my clothes, even my linen blouses. We sail on longer cruises and I need to do handwashing along the way. Being Elite+ we receive 2 free bags each per sailing, but after the ship's industrial washers turned some brand new items into old items after one wash...we no longer take advantage of the free laundry. Even though we get daily free laundry on Princess since we sail in a suite, I prefer to use the self-service washers instead.  The only item i feel comfortable sending to the laundry is DH's underwear😝.

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Haha 2

I was thinking of using laundry service on my next cruise because it's a 14 nighter, do you think it would be safe for 100% linen clothing?  It seems fairly indestructible at home, can be washed and dried on very high heat.

34 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

I bring a cruise ship acceptable inexpensive 1 1/2" flat iron that I purchased at Target (I've never used on my hair) and am able to touch up my clothes, even my linen blouses. We sail on longer cruises and I need to do handwashing along the way. Being Elite+ we receive 2 free bags each per sailing, but after the ship's industrial washers turned some brand new items into old items after one wash...we no longer take advantage of the free laundry. Even though we get daily free laundry on Princess since we sail in a suite, I prefer to use the self-service washers instead.  The only item i feel comfortable sending to the laundry is DH's underwear😝.

Hmmm…I plan to send some leggings, t shirts, underwear, athletic shorts…hopefully will be safe but will keep in mind to withhold anything important. 

3 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Hmmm…I plan to send some leggings, t shirts, underwear, athletic shorts…hopefully will be safe but will keep in mind to withhold anything important. 

I bought us new socks for a cruise last year and some new Hawaii Crazy Shirts t-shirts. When the socks were returned, DH asked why I brought old socks since they looked like they were washed on river rocks. The $45-$60 Hawaii t-shirts came back slightly faded. Last cruise, they shrunk a pair of DH jeans that the legs were so tight he couldn't get his feet in them and he can't wear them anymore.  One time they washed my new undergarments and nice Eddie Bauer t-shirts and everything came back with a tie dyed look.  I was reimbursed for the tie dyed items.  I'm done with ship washers. I bring my own liquid laundry detergent, lightweight thin plastic hangers and plastic clothes pins and request extra towels to roll the clothes in. I know it's a pain to handwash clothes, but I don't put alot of my nice clothes in the dryer so what's a few more items to wash?  I get free laundry bags on X, RCCL and Princess...no more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clairebearinaus said:

I was thinking of using laundry service on my next cruise because it's a 14 nighter, do you think it would be safe for 100% linen clothing?  It seems fairly indestructible at home, can be washed and dried on very high heat.

Good Luck!  I wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clairebearinaus said:

I don't remember if I ever sent linen in the laundry, but I do know that anything I have ever sent, never had a problem at all.  Undies, under shirts, t-shirts, polos, cotton/nylon/spandex blend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

Personally I would not do this!  Either be prepared to have some linen items spoilt or leave them at home!  Or hand wash, drip dry in the shower (yes a bit of a pain on holiday) and send out for pressing, with LINEN GARMENT PLEASE PRESS WITH CARE written in the instructions. We’ve found our cabin attendant will give good advice and/or check with the laundry before taking the items. 

• Thanks 1

My simple rule is if the garment would survive a hot mixed wash at home then it can go in a ship wash, if it can’t then I will not wash it on the ship.

To be honest when we first cruised I simply bought clothes I liked….Now I am very aware of volume of my cruise wardrobe and keeping it at its best when travelling and on board.

I consider and often dismiss garments that crease easy, are a heavy fabric etc. Skirts for the evening are dark coloured and none crease jersey fabric. They will last several wears on the ship looking different every night with different tops. These evening tops are light and could easily be rinsed in the sink, won’t need pressing and would dry overnight on a hanger.  If I want to look a bit dressier I can add a bit of bling! I have more or less a cruise wardrobe! I’ll bet many regular cruisers are the same…

T shirts and shorts are simply that…T shirts and shorts, if they fade who cares, they go in the wash!

Thinking about the suitability of clothes you take when travelling can prevent issues on board.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I bought us new socks for a cruise last year and some new Hawaii Crazy Shirts t-shirts. When the socks were returned, DH asked why I brought old socks since they looked like they were washed on river rocks. The $45-$60 Hawaii t-shirts came back slightly faded. Last cruise, they shrunk a pair of DH jeans that the legs were so tight he couldn't get his feet in them and he can't wear them anymore.  One time they washed my new undergarments and nice Eddie Bauer t-shirts and everything came back with a tie dyed look.  I was reimbursed for the tie dyed items.  I'm done with ship washers. I bring my own liquid laundry detergent, lightweight thin plastic hangers and plastic clothes pins and request extra towels to roll the clothes in. I know it's a pain to handwash clothes, but I don't put alot of my nice clothes in the dryer so what's a few more items to wash?  I get free laundry bags on X, RCCL and Princess...no more.

Oh joy!  I will use the laundry for the least important items.  I tend to use a hot wash at home so hopefully my things are as shrunken as possible. As a very short woman I actually try to shrink things but DH won’t be happy if his stuff is unwearable.  lol.

• Like 1

On the ship's  tour ..we saw the huge washing machines and were advised water used is HOT HOT HOT.

We get one bag each at E Plus &  send:  1 bag of all whites..cotton undies, tees and mens socks.  

For the 2nd load, we send old travel tee shirts/ shorts...with no big expectations! 

They do a great job  and fold,  but it is not a Concierge type service

.  We rec'd that once after an oily fuel blow  back on Silho.. everyone and everything at Sunset Bar  was covered in black soot, including my new white shorts.  They were specially handled & came back just like new!  But don't expect that!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hcat said:

Glad we are E + and each get  a free bag.. 

Elite+ receives 2 bags per person per cruise.  CC benefits are per person not cabin. We've always received 4 bags per sailing...even B2B we've gotten 8 free bags.  If you're happy with their laundry service...you're missing out on your benefits.  

Edited by shirazcruiser

1 hour ago, hcat said:

On the ship's  tour ..we saw the huge washing machines and were advised water used is HOT HOT HOT.

We get one bag each at E Plus &  send:  1 bag of all whites..cotton undies, tees and mens socks.  

For the 2nd load, we send old travel tee shirts/ shorts...with no big expectations! 

They do a great job  and fold,  but it is not a Concierge type service

.  We rec'd that once after an oily fuel blow  back on Silho.. everyone and everything at Sunset Bar  was covered in black soot, including my new white shorts.  They were specially handled & came back just like new!  But don't expect that!

Oh wow!  That reassures me…I’m not going to send anything special!