Help! Daughter had stroke but Cruise NOT Refunded? WHY?

Posted (edited)

Absolute night mare, while dealing with a child (regardless of adult status age) with special needs and a stroke. Many of us have cruised more and would have (maybe) caught the error beforehand. However, with a loved one having had a stroke and all that it involves, we may have missed it also. It is horribly unfortunate that the agent didn't manage this better especially when the OP said repeatedly that she wanted to cancel her daughter's passage due to a stroke. The cabin should have been cancelled, and due to age, the youth moved into another cabin. OR the daughter moved into another cabin and that adult moved into the daughters cabin. Purely on paper. Then, the daughter could have been cancelled. What a mess. I feel so bad for the OP. Hoping her daughter is well on the road to recovery and that some escalation of the details might get some resolution. Perhaps, Royal will give you some FCC(future cruise credit) if not able to make this work with insurance? May not be the best time to say this. but a good TA is worth their weight in gold! Note for those not aware, you can book on ship and once home transfer the booking  to your TA, or even easier, book on ship and have them assign the TA at that time to the cruise. You still get the on ship benefits and get to have the cruise serviced by your TA. Your TA looks  out for you. A ship agent looks out for the cruiseline. 

Edited by sandy toes
add more details
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Papau Krikac said:

Here is the major bummer-we purchased cruise insurance and after sending all the required paperwork to RCCL they denied refunding my daughters cruise monies. How is this possible? 

I don't believe that Royal is the Insurance Co.  Did you file a claim or you just requested Royal to refund for the cancellation.

14 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don't believe that Royal is the Insurance Co.  Did you file a claim or you just requested Royal to refund for the cancellation.

WOW that just might be the key! Such great detective skills. Hope this is it! 

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

The word came up a few times in the OP's responses, so I thought I'd google it... here ya go: 

What is a Klugie?
: a haphazard or makeshift solution to a problem

Also, to the OP- I hope they can work something out with you, it seems like a complicated matter all around but if someone is willing to actually work with you and hear you out, I think they'll eventually give you a solution. 

I googled it after he used it a second time.  I had thought it was just another typo in the first post because of the spelling and usage.

• Like 2

Based on the information given by the OP, they had 9 people in 4 rooms.  That means 3 rooms of 2 and one triple.

They maybe could have moved to granddaughter to the triple turning it into a quad but there are also lots of rooms on Harmony that only accommodate 3 so it is quite possible that moving the GD to another room was not even possible.  This may have been the only option to preserve the rooms and in this case all they would get back is the taxes.  

What should have happened and this would be the only refund they would be entitled to is the third guest and the daughter swap cabins putting the daughter who did not sail in as the third guest and then cancel her after that change at least getting a small amount back.

I would suggesting contacting yje executive offices and see about getting the refund gor the third guests fare.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

WOW that just might be the key! Such great detective skills. Hope this is it! 

They will need a letter from Royal for the insurance company and Royal can't provide the letter as she was technically not cancelled.  

• Like 2

Such wisdom here. It is clear you all are seasoned cruisers. One key point is we ONLY called AFTER the cruise was over to make the claim.You would think that there should be a refund if my daughter did not show up. Worse case scenario we lose the money. We are certainly thankful that  we had a great time on a great ship. We tip big because we so appreciate all the staff. As far as my daughter - she is doing GREAT. God is good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Sandy toes-GREAT Point. We are planning on another Alaska trip soon so IF its on RCCL or another I will book thru a Travel Advisor for SURE. If Royal comes thru it will be on Royal, if not another cruise line.

39 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They will need a letter from Royal for the insurance company and Royal can't provide the letter as she was technically not cancelled.  

We did get a letter when we cancelled using cruise line insurance, Royal said the notification automatically happens between the two companies.

As far as the daughter not sailing, isn't she just a no show and that is why they are only getting taxes and fees?  We were told that we had to cancel prior to the ship sailing if we were going to file a claim, whether it was a medical claim or a cancel for any reason claim.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We did get a letter when we cancelled using cruise line insurance, Royal said the notification automatically happens between the two companies.

As far as the daughter not sailing, isn't she just a no show and that is why they are only getting taxes and fees?  We were told that we had to cancel prior to the ship sailing if we were going to file a claim, whether it was a medical claim or a cancel for any reason claim.

Yhe daughter was not a no show.  Thet replaced her.  The other issurmes is they waited until after tje cruise which is also a big no.  

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Papau Krikac said:

You would think that there should be a refund if my daughter did not show up.

There should have been for the tax portion of the fare and any planner items booked under her.

Edited by Biker19

The Royal agent would not give us a cancellation letter because in her mind my Daughter did not cancel, She was replaced. AON Wrote wrote me a note "After a thorough review of the claim documentation, we have been advised that no cancellation charges were imposed on the booking by Royal since no cancellation charges are being withheld, we are closing your claim"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I get it. Is it right, no, but I get what happened. Op’s daughter and grandchild (minor) were in cabin D. Others of the family were in cabins A, B and C. When the only adult in cabin D needed to be cancelled what should have happened is that they’d move the minor to either cabin A, B or C. So the minor would have been third or fourth pax in that cabin (with a much cheaper cost than pax 1-2). Now what happened was that one adult pax from either cabin A, B or C was moved to replace op’s daughter in cabin D. So it was in RCI’s view a replacement, not a cancellation. Obviously the adult who was moved from A, B or C was cancelled from that cabin but if s/he was a third-fourth pax in that cabin it would mean that the price for the cabin D for him/her as pax 1 was going to be much higher than the price for third-fourth pax in the other cabins. 

It’s a very unfortunate and unfair situation and I am not sure how it can be resolved anymore. However I can see how it happened. The minor in that cabin D with the adult daughter who couldn’t cruise really should have been moved to another cabin A, B or C to avoid this. Keeping the minor in that cabin meant an adult needed to be moved there from one of the other cabins - so in fact the moved adult was cancelled from his/her existing cabin. There is no way to move a person from one cabin to another than cancelling that person from the first cabin. 

Sounds like an algebra test question.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yhe daughter was not a no show.  Thet replaced her.  The other issurmes is they waited until after tje cruise which is also a big no.  

Hello: We actually called before the cruise to let them know our daughter had a stroke and was not coming.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Papau Krikac said:

Hello: We actually called before the cruise to let them know our daughter had a stroke and was not coming.

The situation can be easier to understand when realizing that cruise lines actually sell whole cabins, which are usually for two, not individual berths for passengers. As an example a cabin for two will cost $3000 in total. If it has one passenger that passenger will pay the whole $3000. If there are two passengers in that cabin they each pay $1500. So the cruiseline doesn’t give a hoot if one person in a cabin is not cruising. They are only interested in how many cabins are booked.

And in op’s situation, unfortunately, the agent made them keep the fourth cabin moving one adult from another cabin to the fourth one. So it truly was not a cancellation, it was a change of passenger. Someone came to that cabin instead of the daughter. What they refund for the daughter is the tax part as she was not cruising. And if I understand correctly that was refunded. 

Now I hear you saying that ”But hang on, what if the second passenger was an adult and the daughter would have been cancelled and nobody was added. Surely the insurance would have then paid the money back for the cancellation. How do you explain that?”. Well you are right. The insurance would have paid the amount but at the same time the cruiseline would have wanted the remaining adult to pay an extra charge (usually 100% extra) for being now alone in the cabin. So at the end of the day the only thing that would have avoided this is if the fourth cabin was cancelled. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Papau Krikac said:

Here is the Genesis: 

This is the Genesis of our reservation on Wonder of the Seas – Sail date June 23 – 30 2024

June 15 2023 we sailed to Bermuda (9) people on Liberty of the Seas

During our cruise we booked (using Next Cruise) a cruise on Wonder of the Seas for June 23 -30 2024 for (9) people.  We booked a stateroom that would accommodate 6 of our party and an additional balcony for the remaining 3 of us.

Sometime later when we came home and rethought all 6 being in a stateroom with one bathroom (not ideal)  we called and changed the reservation to the following

68xxx  - xxxx

xxx– Daughter in Love and Daughter

xxx– Me, Wife, Grandson

The agent xx made the changes to the now 4 staterooms BUT unbeknownst to us he did not transfer the $900 deposit equally between all four reservations, thus cancelling reservation #xx. After several calls explaining our situation we did get the stateroom reinstated after RCCL reviewed our hour long phone conversation and said that the agent was in the wrong.  Fortunately we were able to get the same stateroom back.

February 28, 2024 we purchased travel insurance for all nine of us through AON Travel Insurance

On June 6 2024 xxx had a stroke and she would be unable to fly or go out of the country.  We needed to cancel her cruise.  I spoke with xx at AON and he directed me to tell RCCL that we will be cancelling my daughter from reservation #xx.  He was not clear on the procedure of how it would work with pulling an adult out of a minor’s room, grand daughter  being the minor.

June 10 2024 I called to cancel my daughter  I clearly stated that my daughter had a stroke and she will not be able to cruise, thus I need to cancel her reservation.  The agent acknowledged that daughter had a stroke and that I needed to cancel and he told me he was sorry for the medical emergency.  I was very concerned that if I cancelled daughter on reservation #xx that grand daughter would be cancelled also, as she had the same reservation number.  Remember at the beginning of this reservation we had a scare with the reservation being cancelled due to the $900 deposit not being distributed properly.  The converstation was led by the agent, I as a consumer do not know the terminology or procedure on how to clearly cancel a passenger off of the reservation.  The agent came back on the line after a brief hold and told me that he had to move Son off of reservation # xx to make sure that grand daughter , age 10 had an adult in her room.  Jgradsons , reservation #xx could remain in his original cabin because he had an adjoining room with his mother, , reservation #xx.  I assumed that this was the way that my daughter  would be cancelled off the reservation as this was what my initial request was.

June 12 2024 In addition to the medical reports that were sent to AON, AON requested a copy of a cancellation invoice from RCCL

June 12 2024 Called RCCL and talked to (Agent #xx) she explained to me that daughters tax was refunded on June 13, but it was Son that was cancelled out of grandsons  room and moved to daughters room.  I NEVER ASKED FOR SON TO BE CANCELLED. She told me that I will not get a cancellation letter because I did not cancell daughter she was replaced. The agent I talked to about daughters stroke knew and understood that I needed to cancel daughter. That was the whole purpose of my call.

As a loyal Emerald RCCL member and a consumer we are beyond disappointed that after an emotional event such as a stroke and doing what we thought was the correct direction of cancelling daughters cruise would result in them telling us that we did not cancel her reservation.  How does the general population outside of the industry know how to cancel other then telling your agent I need to cancel?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not familiar with two definitions:

1. Clugie

2. Daughter in Love? (Do you mean Daughter-in-law?)

I am very sorry about what happened to your daughter and I pray she is doing better now. God bless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

The insurance would have paid the amount but at the same time the cruiseline would have wanted the remaining adult to pay an extra charge (usually 100% extra) for being now alone in the cabin.

Those are separate things and the cruise line wouldn’t reprice the cabin due to the cancellation. 

3 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

The insurance would have paid the amount but at the same time the cruise line would have wanted the remaining adult to pay an extra charge (usually 100% extra) for being now alone in the cabin. So at the end of the day the only thing that would have avoided this is if the fourth cabin was cancelled. 

I believe the remaining person in that room was a minor, hence the moving of one of the other adults to that room. They should have moved the minor to one of the other rooms and cancelled that room that their daughter was in with the minor. Read the earlier posts; isn't this correct?

35 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I believe the remaining person in that room was a minor, hence the moving of one of the other adults to that room. They should have moved the minor to one of the other rooms and cancelled that room that their daughter was in with the minor. Read the earlier posts; isn't this correct?

Yes

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

1. Clugie

I am very sorry about what happened to your daughter and I pray she is doing better now. God bless.

All is well, thank the Lord. I call my daughter in law Daughter in Love...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

1. Clugie

Clugie I define as "moving things around in a way that does not make sense" "Not the way most people would handle a problem, with a goal of getting their way in the end" something like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Papau Krikac said:

Clugie I define as "moving things around in a way that does not make sense" "Not the way most people would handle a problem, with a goal of getting their way in the end" something like that.

I've heard of another word for that but I cannot say it on here (it involves the F word).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

1. Clugie

I know several people who call their DIL's that.  It's how I feel about both of ours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Papau Krikac said:

I can understand your frustration with the situation, but your daughter’s cruise was not cancelled, it was transferred to another individual which was REQUIRED because the other person in the cabin was a minor. I realize part of the problem is likely that you are not familiar with the cruise industry, but RCI did not do anything wrong. Maybe RCI could have been more sympathetic concerning your situation, but the bottom line is they did not do anything wrong and they do not owe you any kind of refund based on all the information you have provided. 

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I can understand your frustration with the situation, but your daughter’s cruise was not cancelled, it was transferred to another individual which was REQUIRED because the other person in the cabin was a minor. I realize part of the problem is likely that you are not familiar with the cruise industry, but RCI did not do anything wrong. Maybe RCI could have been more sympathetic concerning your situation, but the bottom line is they did not do anything wrong and they do not owe you any kind of refund based on all the information you have provided. 

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

At this point we are ok to simply walk away. My only wish was that the communication was better. After using 4 rooms where two were adjoining and having 8 people (One was a balcony suite) we could have made it work without paying for someone who was not there. Thanks to all. My next post will be about how much fun we had with our family onour next cruise.

• Like 3