Insurance - any benefit to Princess insurance over a big companies Cruise Insurance plan?

We are looking at insurance, and it looks like the costs are about the same.

We would automatically get the Princess Platinum coverage by Captain's Circle Status.

The other Cruise Insurance plan would have good coverage (would get the upgraded plan)

But, with them I am finding out that the Pre-existing condition waiver, and Cancel for any reason, are not possible.

I thought that they used to offer all options until Final Payment Date, but now it must be purchased when you book the cruise.

Any insight is helpful !

Posted (edited)

I think much depends on where you are cruising.  I usually only purchase Princess Protection Platinum.  But I have an excellent health plan in addition to Medicare.

When I got Covid, we were ported/just leaving St. John's Newfoundland.  Automatically denied by Medicare.  Princess/AON/my medical picked up everything else.  Cost me nothing but the insurance.  

Keep in mind that Princess insurance will also cover you with EZ Air. 

A friend of mine with only Medicare purchased AON and an outside insurance.  They only claimed outside insurance.  Outside insurance only paid remaining balance since OBC was applied to bill.  They chose not to contest payment or refile with AON.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Posted (edited)

We use tripinsurancestore.com.  I always ask many questions. 

Pre existing waiver: Most insurance companies require you at least put down a small amount to ensure you get the preexisting waiver-Usually within 21 days of your first deposit.  We request a quote right after we book, and then insure for $500.00 each. Then add more coverage as we pay.

CFAR: this usually must be purchased in the same time frame, 21 days or so. 

AARP Rewards gift card:  we insure the cost of the cards, not the full value.  My agent tells me if you have a claim, then you inform the cruise line, you don’t want  any money refunded to gift cards.  Never done this, though. 

Filing  a claim: I had one for Covid in 2022(not a crusie), processing was about three weeks.  Trip insurance store and the insurance company(IMG? I think) were very helpful. They do it try to sell you more insurance than needed. 

Try the insurance forum.  Steve, the owner answers questions, as do a few more folks. 

I might  try the Princess Insurance on our Antarctica cruise, but still keep additional medical coverage.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Edited by milolii
  • Like 1

The older we get, the better deal Princess insurance is, because age isn't a factor. And the cancel for any reason benefit is a huge plus. It would have cost twice as much if I went with the insurance the travel agent was trying to peddle. Even she said stick with Princess if CFA is important.

• Like 3

We have an annual medical travel policy plus Princess Platinum insurance for CFAR.  The best thing to do is keep up with regular doctor appointments to prove pre existing conditions are stable.  In the news today a traveller from Canada to Orlando ended up having a heart attack at Orlando airport and has to pay $600k+ because his pre existing conditions were not stable and his insurance denied his claim.

I usually buy insurance from insuremytrip.com as it is typically way less expensive than buying from the cruise line.  However, if you are finding the cruise line insurance is about the same price, then the cruise line sweeteners may make it the more attractive option.

Those insurance web sites are good!  But, we generally go directly with the National insurance carrier that offers specialized cruise insurance.   I thought they offered all coverage options, until final payment date.  Which means that you can buy the Policy up until you know you will be. going on the cruise, unless something really does happen.  But, I am thinking that might have changed.

We might just go with Princess and the included upgrade to Platinum.

I think the pre-existing and CFAR are a step up.

Dog,  ohhh, that is so sad.  I really feel for them.   I don't think we would have any issues with pre-existing.  I checked and the look-back is 60 days, and we have had no major medical care in months.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

@Wishing on a star Princess' insurance has a look back for pre-existing conditions. I forget how many days is the period.  Call the Trip Insurance Store.  They have a couple of policies that will cover you for pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase the insurance before or within 24 hours of final payment.  We have done this 2x.  For our upcoming trip, we have Princess insurance but because their medical coverage is too low and I was concerned about the pre-existing conditions, we bought a policy through the Trip Insurance store just before final payment.  We were told we could claim $500 as our travel costs so it will cover for medical at much higher limits than Princess.  Not all policies allow you to claim only part of your trip costs.  Call them to check it out.

You can buy supplemental insurance to cover shortcomings you think Princess insurance might have, and still come out ahead.

Personally, I have an annual medical insurance policy but still get the Princess policy, particularly since they subsidize it for Elites.

• Like 1