Hypothetical: Improve this "Boring" Itinerary

Next year we’re cruising from Singapore to Brisbane on the Crown Princess. I've just been looking at the itinerary and apart from KL, the ports all seem a bit "ho hum". I don’t mean to offend anyone or dis their hometown or favourite place and I’m sure we’ll find something interesting to do but the ports are all places we’ve visited before. KL, Beno, and then capital cities: Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney, Newcastle (not a capital), and Brisbane. 

If you were in charge of Princess deployment, what additional ports would you add to this itinerary, even if it extended the length of the cruise?

C8712636-56BB-44D9-8CB8-B3AC0595A186.jpeg

That sounds like a great cruise to me

I just did a dummy booking and it's $12,230 NZ with the plus fare for me and my wife

does anyone have a spare $12k (NZ) we can borrow 😄

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

I just did a dummy booking and it's $12,230 NZ with the plus fare for me and my wife

Yep, the days of cruising being a cheap holiday option are well and truly over.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Next year we’re cruising from Singapore to Brisbane on the Crown Princess. I've just been looking at the itinerary and apart from KL, the ports all seem a bit "ho hum". I don’t mean to offend anyone or dis their hometown or favourite place and I’m sure we’ll find something interesting to do but the ports are all places we’ve visited before. KL, Beno, and then capital cities: Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney, Newcastle (not a capital), and Brisbane. 

If you were in charge of Princess deployment, what additional ports would you add to this itinerary, even if it extended the length of the cruise?

Since your going West Coast I would have like some northern WA like Broome, Exmouth etc or South to Bunbury and Margaret River.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would make Newcastle an overnighter 😉

I gather this is an out of drydock return to Sydney and is scheduled to attract generic (international) passengers. Sure, you could add at least two WA ports, Kangaroo Island and a good time of year for the Fairy Penguins at Philip Island. Adding 4 days to the cruise increases the price and makes it less attractive to more people, so i can see why they have made it a basic itinerary. I gather disembark will be possible in Freo, Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney as well.

PS: Newcastle is often used as a port to align available terminal dates in Brisbane & Sydney.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Good grief! We’re paying about half that! And I thought that was pricey enough. 😱

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Yep, the days of cruising being a cheap holiday option are well and truly over.

Until you start pricing other holiday options. Then you realise that cruises still are a relatively cheap holiday. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, arxcards said:

PS: Newcastle is often used as a port to align available terminal dates in Brisbane & Sydney.

Speaking of Newcastle, has anyone been watching Travel Guides?  Sunday night was in Newcastle and it looked like a really interesting destination.  Went onto my bucket list for the next time we're that side of the country.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Good grief! We’re paying about half that! And I thought that was pricey enough. 😱

that price was for a balcony cabin with the plus package

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Speaking of Newcastle, has anyone been watching Travel Guides?  Sunday night was in Newcastle and it looked like a really interesting destination.  Went onto my bucket list for the next time we're that side of the country.  

Anyone here is free to touch base with me if they want to lay out some plans in Newcastle. As a cruise port, it is possible to have a full day while spending next to nothing. The only thing against Newcastle becoming a world class cruise port, is that it is only 2hrs north of one of the best cruise ports in the world.

That weird travel guides Fren family, sad to admit, are somewhere from around here. I have only caught highlights of Sunday's show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

that price was for a balcony cabin with the plus package

Well that explains it. 
No balcony or plus package for us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

That weird travel guides Fren family, sad to admit, are somewhere from around here. I have only caught highlights of Sunday's show.

Yes after 7 years they are past their sell by date  The couple of gentlemen are also from Newcastle and they are lovely to listen to and appreciate everything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I watched it and enjoyed it but didn't learn anything new but I've lived in the area most of my life. Yes, the Fren family are from Newcastle and so are Matt and Brett. I don't mind the Frens, they're good for a laugh. Matt and Brett discovered stuff they didn't know about. Of course the locals gave Newcastle 5 stars.

Port Stephens and Hunter Valley were included but not Lake Macquarie (which could be a blessing).

I agree, it's a boring itinerary. I'd add in at least one other Indonesian island port (not Jakarta), and more on the Aus west coast - Broome, for example. Must be others, too, but I don't know what ports are suitable for cruise ships. Exmouth? Carnarvon?   Instead of Adelaide, or as well as, you could have Kangaroo Island.  And why don't cruise ships visit King Island or Flinders Island, both great places, and Flinders has spectacular scenery. And isn't there a port on the Tasmanian East coast that cruise ships could visit, too?

I gave up watching Travel Guides, mainly because they seem to think the main thing travellers want is adrenaline producing adventures most suited to adolescents, not an appreciation of scenery or history or culture.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Port Stephens and Hunter Valley were included but not Lake Macquarie (which could be a blessing).

Not by accident. The tourism bodies and/or local providers stump-up a fair amount of cash to get the advertorial filmed in their location. Like Getaway and others, the program is produced to generate tourism income, so the reviews err on the positive side and that means they won't be filming at King St Maccas at 2am.

I am not sure why, guessing it is to do with Lake Mac tourism, but they don't feature with cruise trip tours like Newcastle, Port Stephens, Maitland & Cessnock areas do. A free shopping shuttle to Charlestown Square would make this cruise itinerary much more exciting.

It is fundamentally a repositioning cruise so the per diems etc that Princess is earning will typically be less than a normal cruise so, in many respects, they want it over as soon as possible and have no interest in extending its duration any further.  You should probably be grateful that they have chosen to do a cruise than tracks much of the Australian coast when the quicker option would've been Singapore-Bali-Darwin-Airlie Beach-Brisbane.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

why don't cruise ships visit King Island or Flinders Island, both great places

Both are probably more difficult to tender to than Norfolk Island and you know how hit and miss that is. 😱

We just do not have enough safe deep water ports or anchorages in Australia to vary the itineraries.

There is only one such port not currently in use for cruises that I can think of, which is Gove and that is way off your track.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what happened to Sherrard Island?

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Anyone here is free to touch base with me if they want to lay out some plans in Newcastle. As a cruise port, it is possible to have a full day while spending next to nothing. The only thing against Newcastle becoming a world class cruise port, is that it is only 2hrs north of one of the best cruise ports in the world.

Thank you for the invitation to contact you, you never know.  I gotta be honest, the Frens do my head in, they're so over the top and loud.  I can deal with Jonathon but the rest...bloody hell!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

…Yes, the Fren family are from Newcastle and so are Matt and Brett. I don't mind the Frens, they're good for a laugh…

37 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

…I gotta be honest, the Frens do my head in, they're so over the top and loud.  I can deal with Jonathon but the rest...bloody hell!  

DW rolls her eyes at Kevin & Janetta. They sometimes forget to pack their PMA.
The other night the show featured Tasmania. Kevin & Janetta were NOT impressed when they discovered they were going caravanning. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:
4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

why don't cruise ships visit King Island or Flinders Island, both great places

Both are probably more difficult to tender to than Norfolk Island and you know how hit and miss that is. 😱

We just do not have enough safe deep water ports or anchorages in Australia to vary the itineraries.

The Tasmania government has been upgrading the port facility at Lady Barron, a port on the southern end of Flinders Island, facing Cape Barron Island.  It still wouldn't be big enough for cruise ships, but it could be helpful as a tender port destination. It is a very beautiful area, with the sheltered waters of Franklin Sound, and many small islands.   The bigger problem is that the island has a very small population and few built facilities, and I'm not sure they would welcome cruise ships.

https://www.flinders.tas.gov.au/tasports-safe-harbour

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I'm booked to get on her on 19th Nov in Melbourne (28 nts).  Once she gets to Fremantle it also becomes a circumnavigation of Australia cruise so there will be much coming and going of passengers.  It is one of two Princess cruises that summer which Melb passengers can board, albeit in limited numbers.  The other is another circumnavigation in March 2026.  Boring itinerary but hey it's a ship that I can do a round trip from Melb on.  I'll take that.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

DW rolls her eyes at Kevin & Janetta. They sometimes forget to pack their PMA.
The other night the show featured Tasmania. Kevin & Janetta were NOT impressed when they discovered they were going caravanning. 🤣

As it happens Kevin & Janetta together with the Matt & Brett are my favourites.  I'm also becoming pretty fond of the girls (names escape me),  BTW, Grumpy reckons that I'm partial to K & J because we always like ourselves in the mirror - I've no idea what he means.  LOL!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

As it happens Kevin & Janetta together with the Matt & Brett are my favourites.  I'm also becoming pretty fond of the girls (names escape me),  BTW, Grumpy reckons that I'm partial to K & J because we always like ourselves in the mirror - I've no idea what he means.  LOL!

Keeping in mind that the show is an infomercial, I find it fun and informative to watch. And it helps with ideas of where we might holiday in the future. I like that they have a diverse cross-section of Australian society represented. It’s easy to become invested in the "characters" even the one that rub you the wrong way.   

• Like 1