Infinite Balcony Question

Just now, zitsky said:

My problem is in renovated Sky Suites like on Millie, based on pictures and reviews where the chair won’t go under the desk.

Oh zitsky, now you are making me have to search on the internet...   😄  I can't afford suites so I haven't researched those at all.

1 minute ago, TGfromTX said:

Oh zitsky, now you are making me have to search on the internet...   😄  I can't afford suites so I haven't researched those at all.

It came up in first search.  Whoever is the furniture buyer needs to be replaced...

image.png.55be9920239bc6f21d73d874029b5900.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, the penguins said:

What are S cabins?

Cabins S1s, S2s and S3s (Sky Suites).  Sorry for the confusion

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

I'll toss our family hat into the no-IV ring as well, even though none of us has set foot into one.

How can we tell that an IV wouldn't be something we'd enjoy?  Because we have the option of our own pretend IV at any time.  Space isn't an issue in the staterooms we book.  We can sit in front of our open (or closed) stateroom door with a terrific view to the world outside, or we can go out onto the veranda, park ourselves in real loungers, and enjoy it that way.  Unless the weather is inclement, we almost always prefer the latter, and especially on our annual 'chill out' TA cruises, tend to spend quite a lot of time there.  Two of the most flexible suites in the X fleet in this regard are the Sunset Suites and Penthouses of the M class.  There, you have sun or shade as you like due to the varying overhangs.

Informed by how we typically use the resources our non-IV staterooms, this provides good information for making future stateroom decisions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TGfromTX said:

It came up in first search.  Whoever is the furniture buyer needs to be replaced...

image.png.55be9920239bc6f21d73d874029b5900.png

Someone who, when speaking about getting the interior decorating gig for Celebrity, seemed to be proud of the fact that she'd never set foot aboard a cruise ship -- which is exactly how you get the kind of situation found in this photo.  And that's but one example of MANY documented ergonomic failures of that sad bit of X history.

Especially as regards staterooms, it takes a clever designer who really understand the space and storage needs of a passenger to get it right.  There's a footprint to work within, and from there, it's a matter of using it in the best way possible.  On various ocean-going and river ships over many years, we've seen it done brilliantly and poorly.  Many of the Hoppen features tended toward the latter end of the spectrum.

We have always cruised in balcony cabins, but there were none left on our most recent cruise, so we booked an IV. We did our research, and knew exactly what the IV looked like, so well aware that it wasn’t like a traditional balcony cabin with an inner door. It seemed comparable with a French balcony on a river cruise, or a Juliet balcony in a house. 

We loved it for the following reasons.

Because the AC went off when the window was open, we could have the window open at night without causing AC problems for neighbouring cabins.

There was much more privacy by the window than there is on a balcony. Didn’t hear or see either of our neighbours apart from in the hallway.

The view out from the room was virtually unobstructed in the IV. On a cooler weather cruise, it was possible to sit right by the window with a panoramic view. In a regular balcony cabin, you would have to go out onto the balcony for a similar view. We found the chairs perfectly comfortable despite our creaky joints.

We never close the blinds, so didn’t have the problem others report where one occupant wanted to sit by the window, and the other needed a darkened room to sleep. 

If we were booking another Edge class ship, we would definitely book another IV cabin. However, there was a lot we didn’t like on the Apex, so would favour an S class ship in the future.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Someone who, when speaking about getting the interior decorating gig for Celebrity, seemed to be proud of the fact that she'd never set foot aboard a cruise ship -- which is exactly how you get the kind of situation found in this photo.  And that's but one example of MANY documented ergonomic failures of that sad bit of X history.

Especially as regards staterooms, it takes a clever designer who really understand the space and storage needs of a passenger to get it right.  There's a footprint to work within, and from there, it's a matter of using it in the best way possible.  On various ocean-going and river ships over many years, we've seen it done brilliantly and poorly.  Many of the Hoppen features tended toward the latter end of the spectrum.

Understand your point and appreciate your perspective.  Though it’s not one whit of a new, or even close to, opining almost verbatim, what the never IVers have been saying for a very long time.  This topic is like a cat, though hopefully it is one it’s 9th life. 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liao said:

Understand your point and appreciate your perspective.  Though it’s not one whit of a new, or even close to, opining almost verbatim, what the never IVers have been saying for a very long time.  This topic is like a cat, though hopefully it is one it’s 9th life. 😎

The reality is there are different reasons why people post about these IV cabins:

1.  Some have stayed in them and liked the experience;

2.  Some have stayed and disliked them for a number of reasons;

3.  Others have no interest as other type cabins appeal to them like suites or SV aft cabins;

4.  Finally there are those who just are negative and whine endlessly even though they haven’t even been in one and my guess are looking for attention.

Honestly, we prefer Retreat Suites but found nothing wrong with our AQ IV or the one we stayed in for a charity.

If I missed anyone or thing please feel free to add your comments.

Thanks

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Oville said:

5. Some insult the intelligence of those that know this cabin isn't for them despite them not having stayed in one

6. Some who like IVs feel the need to try to indoctrinate those that don't like IV cabins into liking them because they really are just like balconies if you close your eyes and click your heels 3 times.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Oville said:

The reality is there are different reasons why people post about these IV cabins:

3.  Others have no interest as other type cabins appeal to them like suites or SV aft cabins;

4.  Finally there are those who just are negative and whine endlessly even though they haven’t even been in one and my guess are looking for attention.

Honestly, we prefer Retreat Suites but found nothing wrong with our AQ IV or the one we stayed in for a charity.

Thanks

5.  27% like them and 63% don't.

6.  Some people talk about being on the balcony when they are inside of the room 🤣🤣🤣

7.  Some say that they are like a Juliet ahem balcony.  But in a Juliet balcony you can at least go outside for a foot or so 🤣🤣

Pure entertainment for the newbies ...

Now can we at least get on to why a rear looking view is better than a forward and a rear view 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

26 minutes ago, RichYak said:

5. Some insult the intelligence of those that know this cabin isn't for them despite them not having stayed in one

6. Some who like IVs feel the need to try to indoctrinate those that don't like IV cabins into liking them because they really are just like balconies if you close your eyes and click your heels 3 times.

Not I, personally prefer suites and pointed out others prefer different cabins.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

5.  27% like them and 63% don't.

6.  Some people talk about being on the balcony when they are inside of the room 🤣🤣🤣

7.  Some say that they are like a Juliet ahem balcony.  But in a Juliet balcony you can at least go outside for a foot or so 🤣🤣

Pure entertainment for the newbies ...

Now can we at least get on to why a rear looking view is better than a forward and a rear view 🤣🤣🤣

Huh?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Oville said:

Huh?

A little reality check.

1.  27% IVs/73% balconies is the ratio that Royal chose for their cruise ships.  I would think that they did some research in this area.

2.  If you are "on your infinite veranda" you are not outside.  You are in your cabin.  Contrary to previous posts.

3.  On a Juliet balcony you can actually go outside for a foot or two unlike an IV.  Where you are inside your cabin.

BTW enjoy your suite real balconies 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oville said:

Thanks

People will choose with their wallet.  Yes IVs sell out and that’s great for Celebrity.  Wait, didn’t the President say on here that some people don’t like them?

It is not “whining” to say you prefer a balcony.  

Edited by zitsky

On 7/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, zitsky said:

Nor do I ever plan to, @Oville.  The people in this forum saying “but a window is better than a door!!!” “It makes the room bigger!” really make me shake my head.

Congratulations folks!  You have a window in your cabin!  

The VP of Marketing is laughing all the way to the bank.  That person could sell anything to anyone.

I would consider an IV for a cold rainy itinerary but living in Florida I know how fast the house gets warm and clammy just when I leave the sliding door open while I take the dogs out. So not a chance in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zitsky said:

People will choose with their wallet.  Yes IVs sell out and that’s great for Celebrity.  Wait, didn’t the President say on here that some people don’t like them?

It is not “whining” to say you prefer a balcony.  

Royal has it down to a percentage that like IVs and balconies.  27/73.  One would think that it would be similar for Celebrity.

IVs sells out at a lower price than real balconies on E class...  Why are they so good.  I don't get it.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would consider an IV for a cold rainy itinerary but living in Florida I know how fast the house gets warm and clammy just when I leave the sliding door open while I take the dogs out. So not a chance in the Caribbean.

So who books a cruise with a rainy itinerary?  Asking for a friend 🙈

I like the comment one poster said about having multiple Infinite balconies in their house.  😄  

Have never stayed in one, but looking forward to the new experience with a B2B on Apex.  

Like it?  Will book again.  Don't like it.  Won't.   Simple.  😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oville said:

Not I, personally prefer suites and pointed out others prefer different cabins.

But you didn’t include those who just like conventional balconies I,e. the most common type of cabin on S line ships.

Nor those who for mobility/pain issues need proper chairs that provide back support and know, without needing to sit in them because we live with these issues every day, that the furniture on E class is not suitable.

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

A little reality check.

1.  27% IVs/73% balconies is the ratio that Royal chose for their cruise ships.  I would think that they did some research in this area.

2.  If you are "on your infinite veranda" you are not outside.  You are in your cabin.  Contrary to previous posts.

3.  On a Juliet balcony you can actually go outside for a foot or two unlike an IV.  Where you are inside your cabin.

BTW enjoy your suite real balconies 🤣

Another 2:

1) The one cruise line that had extensive experience of IV cabins, Viking, choses not to have them on any of it's main Ocean going fleet ( excluding it's exploration type ).

2) None of the other main Cruise Line Groups has followed X's lead.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Another 2:

1) The one cruise line that had extensive experience of IV cabins, Viking, choses not to have them on any of it's main Ocean going fleet ( excluding it's exploration type ).

2) None of the other main Cruise Line Groups has followed X's lead.

Viking does have the Nordic balconies on the Expedition ships.  We are booked into one on Octantis.  The top half of the window slides down to open air.  

image.jpeg.77a9b17b61dea78efec11d848e37fa64.jpeg

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Viking does have the Nordic balconies on the Expedition ships.  We are booked into one on Octantis.  The top half of the window slides down to open air.  

image.jpeg.77a9b17b61dea78efec11d848e37fa64.jpeg

which is why I put "excluding the expedition type". These are for a whole different class/type of cruise. We have done Antarctica on an expedition ship (the Fram) and for that we chose an inside cabin as we knew we would out on deck taking in everything the cruise had to offer.