Letter re missed port -

Long shot ..

Did anyone on Oceania Marina Oslo to Southampton cruise July 6th -16th 2024 receive any type of letter from ships reception indicating  why we missed our port in Skagen.

If you did would you be willing to share.

I cannot seem to find mine 

It was generic no personal info was on it just the date / port and reason why missed.

TIA 

I was on that cruise and I don’t recall a letter.  The Captain made an announcement about the high winds (50 to 60knots) making it unsafe to try and get in port.  The ship was definitely rocking and rolling the night before and most of that day.

charlotte

Yes I remember the announcment, wondered why we had not yet docked.

Our insurance covers missed ports however they want proof which is understandable , reception had a document you could copy however can not locate. I have reached out to Oceania.

It was a long shot asking.

IME, for good or bad, Oceania and Regent miss more ports than any other cruise company. In about 15 cruises with the company, I believe in one of them we made every port as originally scheduled. Their manner of decision making is a positive if you believe that they err on the side of caution. I just know that in 30 plus cruises with non NCL owned companies, I can count on one hand the number of times we have missed a port. Occasionally Oceania and Regent  do not even give a reason for missing a port or significantly shortening the time in a port. They just say "for operational reasons."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisingagain2022 said:

Yes I remember the announcment, wondered why we had not yet docked.

Our insurance covers missed ports however they want proof which is understandable , reception had a document you could copy however can not locate. I have reached out to Oceania.

It was a long shot asking.

I’m sure Oceania will send you proof. When we’ve missed a port we go to reception as it happens and they send a personalised letter to the cabin. I know this doesn’t help now but it may for the future.

2 hours ago, Cruisingagain2022 said:

Our insurance covers missed ports however they want proof which is understandable ,

For no reason other than pure curiosity, what loss or damage is covered when a port is missed?   Is it nonrefundable excursion fees? 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

For no reason other than pure curiosity, what loss or damage is covered when a port is missed?   Is it nonrefundable excursion fees? 

Our insurance in the UK covers each person £150 per missed port. We missed two  last year and were reimbursed by £600.  Don’t know about tour costs on top of that.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, basor said:

The Travel Guard Preferred Plan for many States reimburses a maximum of $250 per person for missing a port

Interesting, do you have to prove that you've had losses in that amount?

39 minutes ago, ORV said:

Interesting, do you have to prove that you've had losses in that amount?

I have not had to make a claim for any of my O cruises so can't comment.  I assume you would need to have proof that the cruise missed the port.  This is in addition to loss of pre-paid excursions.

TRAVEL INCONVENIENCE BENEFITS The Company will make a one-time payment to the Insured for one occurrence of each of the following Unforeseen events, per Trip. The maximum limit payable for all Travel Inconvenience benefits combined will not exceed the Inconvenience Benefit maximum limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page.

Cruise Diversion ($250) – the Insured’s cruise does not stop at a scheduled port of call due to Inclement Weather, a Terrorist Incident, a medical incident involving another passenger on the ship, or a Natural Disaster;

This is per person so you would receive $500.00 per couple...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, basor said:

I have not had to make a claim for any of my O cruises so can't comment.  I assume you would need to have proof that the cruise missed the port.  This is in addition to loss of pre-paid excursions.

TRAVEL INCONVENIENCE BENEFITS The Company will make a one-time payment to the Insured for one occurrence of each of the following Unforeseen events, per Trip. The maximum limit payable for all Travel Inconvenience benefits combined will not exceed the Inconvenience Benefit maximum limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page.

Cruise Diversion ($250) – the Insured’s cruise does not stop at a scheduled port of call due to Inclement Weather, a Terrorist Incident, a medical incident involving another passenger on the ship, or a Natural Disaster;

This is per person so you would receive $500.00 per couple...

Interesting, if I'm reading that right it's once per trip, so if you have 2 or more missed ports it would only cover one. That's certainly better than nothing. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Interesting, if I'm reading that right it's once per trip, so if you have 2 or more missed ports it would only cover one. That's certainly better than nothing. 

Yes, you are receiving $500.00 and have no out of pocket expenses, that certainly is nice..... 1 port - $500 per port, 2 ports - $250.00 per port, 3 ports - $166.50 per port....if you did have non-refundable pre-paid private shore excursions, those cost are covered under a separate part of the policy.  

19 minutes ago, basor said:

Yes, you are receiving $500.00 and have no out of pocket expenses, that certainly is nice..... 1 port - $500 per port, 2 ports - $250.00 per port, 3 ports - $166.50 per port....if you did have non-refundable pre-paid private shore excursions, those cost are covered under a separate part of the policy.  

Thanks, occasionally we missed the ports too. Though, not that many and I never complained - we were still on the ship. But it didn’t come to my mind that we can claim the insurance. I’d remember in the future to obtain the proof of the missing ports from Oceania in case it happens again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Didn't realize missing a port is covered by insurance - good to know. Thanks for the information on the post's.

Unfortunately, not all policies or companies cover missed ports.  The devil is in the details. 

• Like 1

After reading this thread I checked my insurance and "ship diversion" was an additional coverage that is not in my policy. There are dozens of additional coverages that can be added above the "standard". (U. S.)

Mine is Travel Insured International.

• 1 month later...