Cruise Agent Do they all charge a fee?

I realize that many agents charge fees these days but from experience that was for land trips that involved many bookings such as hotels/transfers/sightseeing etc.  Is it common for agents to charge for booking an extended family on an  Alaska Cruise a fee of $200.00?

Cruise  bookings normally pay a pretty nice commission 10-12% maybe more with overrides. To me is seems high but wondered if there is an industry standard. 

7 hours ago, kathy49 said:

I realize that many agents charge fees these days but from experience that was for land trips that involved many bookings such as hotels/transfers/sightseeing etc.  Is it common for agents to charge for booking an extended family on an  Alaska Cruise a fee of $200.00?

Cruise  bookings normally pay a pretty nice commission 10-12% maybe more with overrides. To me is seems high but wondered if there is an industry standard. 

I've never had an agent who charged me a fee other than a cancellation fee, which I think is fair since they spent time with me and now won't be getting a commission.  Agents are there to save me money, not cost me money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've never had an agent who charged me a fee other than a cancellation fee, which I think is fair since they spent time with me and now won't be getting a commission.  Agents are there to save me money, not cost me money.

Question:  I think that the cancellation fee is fair.  Does this mean that you would receive an invoice from your TA after you cancel?  If so, I wonder how many people actually pay?

I think that many people here on CC are saying their Agents don't charge fees, but to me it sounds like you have been working with these agents for years and have history of booking and actually following through.

I think that if you call an Agent cold that you have never booked with before, that they have fees because they don't know you and don't know if you are going to waste their time.

You are suggesting that cruise bookings pay a "pretty nice commission" but do you also know the volume of bookings an Agent must have annually to make a decent living?

That full commission does not necessarily all go to the agent.  Some may go to the "agency" they work for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Question:  I think that the cancellation fee is fair.  Does this mean that you would receive an invoice from your TA after you cancel?  If so, I wonder how many people actually pay?

I think that many people here on CC are saying their Agents don't charge fees, but to me it sounds like you have been working with these agents for years and have history of booking and actually following through.

I think that if you call an Agent cold that you have never booked with before, that they have fees because they don't know you and don't know if you are going to waste their time.

You are suggesting that cruise bookings pay a "pretty nice commission" but do you also know the volume of bookings an Agent must have annually to make a decent living?

That full commission does not necessarily all go to the agent.  Some may go to the "agency" they work for.

I was an agent many years ago before fees were even heard of. I am aware the agents themselves do not directly get the comm. it is paid to the agency. Most agents will be compensated based on their volume and expertise.  I do get the agent not being interested in spending time with someone just 'picking their brain" and then the potential client  books elsewhere or direct. But usually an agent can sort out the shoppers vs buyers and if they know their product should be able to close the sale. Compared to many requests that an agent gets a cruise booking is not that complex.

No problem with a fee if you cancel as long as it is outlined in the details of the booking.

Or   maybe a fee upfront to have an agent do the work and share knowledge with you and that would go towards the booking if you make one? That seems fair.

Anyway thanks for the input.