Just booked

Hi kids,

Just pulled the trigger on a Feb 2026 2 week from Sydney

i know we need a visa for New Zealand. So will do that in due time. Yep, we have plenty of time. 

Got any tips, advice, I’d welcomed them all. We plan to arrive 3 days before our cruise so we can see some sites in Sydney. 

looking forward to research. 😂😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

we need a visa for New Zealand

We are currently applying for our Australia & New Zealand visas for our upcoming Oct/Nov trip.  Good for you, for booking!

Great that you are visiting our countries. You have plenty of time to check out the threads in this forum and also Ports of call forums, there is lots of information to glean through.

Perhaps provide your itinerary and cruise details as well as your interests.

• Like 5

Hi Mic,

thanks for responding. We love to see historical places and love good food. Excited to sample something I’ve never had. 😎😎

We love the beach, planning to do a harbor ferry and see the views from there, 

We are planning to arrive 3 days early now. So 2 whole days to explore. 

39 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

I would appreciate if you could send me the step by step you went thru. I forgot we need one for Australia, thanks for reminding me. 

You need to download the apps for both the Australian and NZ evisa although you can apply online for the NZeTA without downloading the app.

These links will help -

Subclass 601 Electronic Travel Authority (homeaffairs.gov.au)

NZeTA

This is the standard advice we give to friends travelling to Sydney/Oz, prices approximate.

Circular Quay is where the ferries leave from, and where the ship docks. There is a train station there as well. Also buses, taxis, tourist and souvenir shops, pubs, cafes, restaurants, McDonalds, Starbucks.

Blue Mountains (2 hours from Sydney) - catch a train from Sydney to Katoomba station. There is a hop on hop off bus which costs $55 (USD37) and your pass is good for three days, but you can see a lot in one day. Has 29 stops, great value. (There are lots of coach day tours from Sydney that cover a lot of territory. Some tours also stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park and the Olympic Complex at Homebush.)

Kiama (2 hours south from Sydney) - catch a train from Sydney to Kiama station. Beaches, blowhole, lovely coast. Nice day trip.

Sydney Harbour - catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Cost is cheap, around $9. Great views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. On arrival at Manly follow the crowds down the Corso to the beach. Heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs. Another nice ferry ride back to Circular Quay. You can also catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo, has to be the best view of any Zoo in the world. Buy your Zoo and ferry tickets at Wharf 4, Circular Quay.

Sydney - The Rocks - historic area, lots of old buildings, nice old pubs, lots of opportunities for Bridge photos, restaurants and shopping. Get off train at Circular Quay, head on foot into the area where the bridge is. Or just next to where the ship docks at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Sydney Opera House and Botanic Gardens - get off train at Circular Quay and walk towards and around opera house, the gardens on the other side are the start of the Botanic Gardens. Food and drinks are available everywhere.
Other places of interest in this area - NSW Art Gallery, Museum, St Mary's Cathedral. All are located just after the Botanic gardens and are easily walkable.

Darling Harbour and Chinatown - located a short walk from Town Hall Station. Restaurants, bars, shopping, markets, aquarium, cruises. Lots to see and do.

Bondi Beach - bus 333 leaves from Museum Station, Sydney. Can also catch train from Martin Place to Bondi Junction, bus leaves from station to beach.

• Like 8

To add to Rosie's great advice about Manly - go over in the afternoon. Once you reach the surf beach turn right and do the walk to Shelly Beach. Look out for the small sea creature sculptures along the way. There are plenty of seats along the way if you just feel like sitting and enjoying the ocean views for a while. Then head back to Manly for dinner and get the ferry back once it starts getting dark.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

To add to Rosie's great advice about Manly - go over in the afternoon. Once you reach the surf beach turn right and do the walk to Shelly Beach. Look out for the small sea creature sculptures along the way. There are plenty of seats along the way if you just feel like sitting and enjoying the ocean views for a while. Then head back to Manly for dinner and get the ferry back once it starts getting dark.

Great advice. I was brought up on the Northern Beaches and Manly is definitely worth seeing.

56 minutes ago, RosieCanberra said:

This is the standard advice

This is fabulous.  Thank you so much. Altho we are doing the B2B RT in and out of Melbourne we are flying over to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef & then to Sydney for a few land based days. Thank you so much for this info!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

We love to see historical places

I just want to put in a word for one of the most overlooked historical places in Sydney, which is Cadman's Cottage.

It's not exactly spectacular, but it is the second or third oldest building in Sydney (depending on who you ask), built in 1816.

It's biggest advantage is that it is literally across the road from the OPT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to ask this, sorry.

What hotels are nearby the port that we should check out? We plan to arrive 3 days early. This will be our 52nd anniversary trip. Old and still going. LOL

Thank you friends. 

• Like 3

The OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) is conveniently located in the CBD, between the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, and is serviced by the Circular Quay train station and passenger ferries. 

We are looking at staying at the Rendezvous Hotel for our cruise in November as it’s one of the closest to the terminal but there are many hotels "nearby" depending on your definition of that term. 😁

8A12249E-E35F-4CBF-9E72-91D8AA17CF06.jpeg

01401784-5FA2-45A8-BDFA-85488215F2E8.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

I forgot to ask this, sorry.

What hotels are nearby the port that we should check out? We plan to arrive 3 days early. This will be our 52nd anniversary trip. Old and still going. LOL

Thank you friends. 

What is your budget?

I would agree that staying close to the terminal in Circular Quay is an ideal spot. As well as being walking distance on boarding day, it is so handy to the CQ transport hub mentioned earlier. So many can be pricey though, especially rooms with a view of the harbour.

The Sydney Harbour hotel is in the Rocks and a very close to the terminal. Not a lot of frills, but comfortable. There are nice 5-star hotels at Park Hyatt, Pullman Quay Grand, Four Seasons - each at a price. My preferred in between for price, comfort & convenience is the Sydney Harbour Marriot.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

For what it is worth we have booked the Sebel Quay West Suites. We felt the location suited our needs, even though we will not be boarding our cruise in Sydney.

@RosieCanberra Thanks for the great list of things to do, even though we are fortunate to be meeting CC friends in Sydney, we will have plenty of time on our own to explore whatever we can see in 3 short days (plus a port stop on our cruise).

@pooh/tiggerHave a great time planning your adventure.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

We are looking at staying at the Rendezvous Hotel for our cruise in November as it’s one of the closest to the terminal

I've stayed at the Rendezvous, and it's a good choice and has kitchenette. But it is quite low down, so don't plan on having a good view from your window of the Opera House. When a cruise ship is in port, it completely blocks the view in that direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

For that you could just about rent the Opera House. 😎

That’s max Sinbad. I prefer not spending that though. 

Thanks cruiser. Great info

😂😂 

I’m hoping for less that so we can save money for a couple excursions in Sydney. We will have 2 full days available. Can’t wait to see the beauty and taste great food and maybe, sample some great beer. We like Peroni but will swap for something similar that is local. Like Mannys a lot too.

• Like 2