Salon tipping

desibee

Prices for haircut, style, and blowout was around what I would pay on land for my hair so I decided to try something new and get my hair cut in the salon the first night of our cruise.  I've never used the salon on a ship before so I'm just wondering how gratuities work.  I know they charge a certain percentage in gratuities.  Is it also customary to tip the hair stylist personally?  If so, how much is expected?  Can you use your OBC for gratuities or should you tip in cash only?

Posted (edited)

If you were to add an additional gratuity and did not do so in cash, it would be charged to your stateroom account and any OBC on the account would be credited towards the payment.  As that is typically ship sponsored OBC, they would pay the gratuity instead of you. IMO that would be the better option.

But I also agree that if a gratuity is added to the charge, I would not feel the need to add more.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

3 minutes ago, desibee said:

Prices for haircut, style, and blowout was around what I would pay on land for my hair so I decided to try something new and get my hair cut in the salon the first night of our cruise.  I've never used the salon on a ship before so I'm just wondering how gratuities work.  I know they charge a certain percentage in gratuities.  Is it also customary to tip the hair stylist personally?  If so, how much is expected?  Can you use your OBC for gratuities or should you tip in cash only?

I got a haircut on the Edge, I forget the cost, but they did add 18% and called it a "service charge".  I asked the attendant if that was the gratuity and did it go to the barber.  They literally hemmed and hawed and stammered, well it is a service charge as it says on the slip.  OK I asked, does the service charge go to the stylist?  She said, well maybe part of it but I don't know how much.  HUH???  I did not leave any additional, it was clear to me they were fishing for more $$.  After that, unfortunately for me, I was one deck up in my suite and used the stairs that I had to pass by the salon every time.  They became obnoxious begging me to come in.  Suffice to say, I did not and will not ever again use the salon on a Celebrity ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, hcat said:

service charge is also added to the bill for any products purchased..so I stopped buying!

Why would a service charge be added to a product such as a bottle of shampoo? Thats just crazy. Do they also add service charge if you purchase something from one of their onboard stores? 

When companies or businesses put a gratuity/ service charge on the bill , that is where it stops for me.

I understand people need to make a living , but if their company charges the fee , it is up to them to decide if what they end up getting from the company is satisfactory or not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liao said:

Suffice to say, I did not and will not ever again use the salon on a Celebrity ship.

The fishing for extra tips and the relentless up-selling of products, when all you wanted was a massage, are why I will stick to land based salons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

service charge is also added to the bill for any products purchased..so I stopped buying!

I used to buy a product at some salon or spa visits but not when I learned abt the  extra.charges.

Skipped  getting a hair mousse  last time.. it was a huge size, quite expensive and would incur the fee.

(items are usually cheaper on line w/ discounts and free ship and samples)

Sometimes you can find something u need in the cosmetic/ perfume store or liquor/ sundries store that has various items.

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Why would a service charge be added to a product such as a bottle of shampoo? Thats just crazy. Do they also add service charge if you purchase something from one of their onboard stores? 

I can't answer for the spas as we've never purchased anything there.  But adding a service charge to an item purchased in the spa IMO would be ridiculous. There is no service charges added to any other onboard store purchases.  Forced additional charges (other than legitimate taxes) not related to a retail item itself IMO is disgraceful.  At sea or on land.

19 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I can't answer for the spas as we've never purchased anything there.  But adding a service charge to an item purchased in the spa IMO would be ridiculous. There is no service charges added to any other onboard store purchases.  Forced additional charges (other than legitimate taxes) not related to a retail item itself IMO is disgraceful.  At sea or on land.

Even paying 20% gratuities on a bottle of water is absurd. They are kept at the bar and if you ask for one they just hand it to you and charge your card; its not like you're asking them to make you a drink. Rules are rules but this one I don't agree with. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I will just stick to paying the included gratuity and not worry about extra.  Hopefully they won't try to upsell me if I politely let them know I don't intend to bring any products home with me.

I had a haircut at a spa on another cruise line. I'm assuming (I know, never assume) that the tipping is probably handled in a similar way. I asked. The tip is divided into thirds. The spa gets a third, the person providing the service gets a third and I don't remember the other third - think it goes to the company that supplies the spas to the ship.

1 hour ago, vswan said:

think it goes to the company that supplies the spas to the ship

So wrong. They're already making a killing on the sales.