Shorts vs. Pants: Why the Debate? Are Pants Really That Challenging?

On 7/25/2024 at 5:49 AM, sparks1093 said:

Many would read "no" as prohibited, yes? 🙂 I just read Carnival's FAQ and they say "not permitted" but specify gym or basketball shorts, leaving open the possibility of Bermuda shorts.

Today "No'" means "YES" with an attitude.

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Whether any of us like it or not our culture has become much more casual. I attended a funeral yesterday and I wasn't really surprised to spot a couple of folks wearing shorts (shorts with pockets and needing a belt, not gym shorts). I figure if they are willing to wear them at a funeral they won't have any problem wearing them to dinner on a cruise.

Yeah. I tried once to say wear what you'd wear to your grandmother's for a special dinner. That didn't work 🙂

51 minutes ago, clo said:

Yeah. I tried once to say wear what you'd wear to your grandmother's for a special dinner. That didn't work 🙂

My grandparents all lived in Miami. We wore shorts constantly 🙂

32 minutes ago, wcook said:

My grandparents all lived in Miami. We wore shorts constantly 🙂

All my family was in Atlanta where it gets really hot and humid. But no shorts when going to Grandmother's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Where are these people from who people wear long pants and collared shirts on  pool decks.

Uh, scratch that second "people".   

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Seriously some posters are living in the past. Our culture has changed to less formal dress and more freedom of dress. The ones claiming sophistication are actually not sophisticated. Sophisticated people adjust to changing times. 

Parochial thinking is not the same as sophistication.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

You also can (able to/capable of) walk in the Birthday suit.

You equate wearing a baseball cap in public with not wearing clothes at all? One is a fashion choice, the other is a chargeable offense in most jurisdictions. 🙄 

I like baseball caps. They keep the sun out of my eyes, hide my messy hair, prevent UV from getting to the bald spot and when worn in the MDR enrage sanctimonious stuffed shirts who are way more involved in what I'm wearing than I am. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, K32682 said:

and when worn in the MDR

I don't like them they're worn indoors. And all but one of your reasons have to do with being outside. And if you didn't wear a cap your hair probably wouldn't be (too) messy.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, K32682 said:

You equate wearing a baseball cap in public with not wearing clothes at all? One is a fashion choice, the other is a chargeable offense in most jurisdictions. 🙄 

I like baseball caps. They keep the sun out of my eyes, hide my messy hair, prevent UV from getting to the bald spot and when worn in the MDR enrage sanctimonious stuffed shirts who are way more involved in what I'm wearing than I am. 

I’m not questioning details of your valid reasons at all.  Simply, your reply (“because I can”) became a catalyst (so to speak) to my non-standard spontaneous reaction.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

All my family was in Atlanta where it gets really hot and humid. But no shorts when going to Grandmother's.

I guess that depends on the time and place and attitude of grandma.

My father is a great grandfather  - we all certainly wear shorts going to his place.

In fact he wears them himself.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never worn shorts to a restaurant on sea or land .I cannot recall the last time I wore shorts,possibly at age 5.

That's fine -  I dont think anybody is saying anyone else has to wear shorts if they dont want to.

But you not doing so, doesn't mean nobody else should.

2 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

I guess that depends on the time and place and attitude of grandma.

My father is a great grandfather  - we all certainly wear shorts going to his place.

In fact he wears them himself.

Oh, sorry. I was talking about dinners. Like Sunday dinners.

I think title of OP rather than " Why the Debate? Are Pants Really That Challenging?" should be "Why the Debate - Other people dress differently to me -  is that really so challenging to accept?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, VelvetSkeeter said:

And it should go without saying, but please spare those around you from wearing man sandals or flip flops with your caterpillar toes and talons showing.

Agree 100% 😂 I have seen gnarly/fugus looking toenails wearing man sandals Yuck! 🤢 It's hard not to notice but there it is when you are PW'ing Cheers! 🍹 

Edited by shandryl
  • Haha 1

what does PW'ing stand for?

You are on a cruise- men (and women) are going to have toes showing. That's just life

You don't see them when people  are seated at meals though.

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I think title of OP rather than " Why the Debate? Are Pants Really That Challenging?" should be "Why the Debate - Other people dress differently to me -  is that really so challenging to accept?"

But that wasn't the question the OP had.

You are free to start a thread with that title if you want to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kristelle said:

That's fine -  I dont think anybody is saying anyone else has to wear shorts if they dont want to.

But you not doing so, doesn't mean nobody else should.

You are correct

16 hours ago, shandryl said:

Agree 100% 😂 I have seen gnarly/fugus looking toenails wearing man sandals Yuck! 🤢 It's hard not to notice but there it is when you are PW'ing Cheers! 🍹 

But as bad in my fashionista daughter's opinion is mandals with socks!!!!

19 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

But that wasn't the question the OP had.

You are free to start a thread with that title if you want to.

No need - everything is being said on the topic here.

• Like 1

I am one of those who do not pack long pants. Sorry, my vacation, my rule, but will add, I also do not use the MDR or specialty restaurants. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, KarlK said:

I am one of those who do not pack long pants. Sorry, my vacation, my rule, but will add, I also do not use the MDR or specialty restaurants. 

Caribbean cruises?  If there is anywhere that relaxed dress is warranted, that would seem to be the place.  

• Like 1