Disembarkation - how to plan onward transfer

Hi, we will be cruising on Odyssey of the Seas, docking at Rome Civitatecchia at 5am on a Sunday in late August  I'm aware it can take several hours to disembark, and to be honest, we are not morning people so I'm very happy to leave as late as allowed.  I understand we will not be told when our slot to disembark will be until we are already on the ship (would this be the day before?)

Once we leave the ship we need to transfer to a hotel in Rome.  I'm looking into transfer options (e.g. private transfer, maybe train if it's not too difficult) but I'm not sure how to plan it if we don't know what time we will get off.  I'm travelling with two kids so trying to be as efficient as possible.

What do other people do?  If we decide to book a private transfer, do we need to put the latest possible time and and hang about if we get off early?  And if yes, what's a realistic sort of time (again, we will not be volunteering to be first off haha!! but I have no idea if the latest disembarkation is more like 8am or more like 10am etc)

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Even if last call for everyone to exit the ship is later, it is common that everyone is asked to be out of their cabins earlier.  I seem to recall by 8:00 or 8:30 but can't remember if that was RCI.  Maybe someone can confirm.    

Assuming you won't carry it off, you will need a little time to collect your luggage before exiting the terminal building to catch your ride.  If I were in the 8:30 group, I would probably tell the ride 9-ish.  They will wait if you get held up.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TCNLondon said:

I'm travelling with two kids so trying to be as efficient as possible.

What transportation to use depends on the kids’ ability to help and the final destination. If they can help and you are going to some place near a train station, the train could be an option. If not, plan for a private car. The ports of call section or your Roll Call thread may have some details. 

• Thanks 1

It is a little bit of a walk once you get out of the port area to the train station and then a bit of a ride (thinking 40-50 minutes).  Then once you are at the main station in Rome, you'd have to grab some other transport (metro, taxi, uber, etc) to get to your hotel.  It depends on how well you can manage your baggage, walk, etc, and your budget.  By myself, I'd do the train no worries.  With kids (keeping in mind mine is younger), I'd do a transfer. 

I've only done transfers once in Rome and used RomeinLimo and that was a good experience.  Any company you choose does this a lot so I'm sure they can also give you some good advice about timing, where to get picked up, etc.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TCNLondon said:

Hi, we will be cruising on Odyssey of the Seas, docking at Rome Civitatecchia at 5am on a Sunday in late August  I'm aware it can take several hours to disembark, and to be honest, we are not morning people so I'm very happy to leave as late as allowed.  I understand we will not be told when our slot to disembark will be until we are already on the ship (would this be the day before?)

Once we leave the ship we need to transfer to a hotel in Rome.  I'm looking into transfer options (e.g. private transfer, maybe train if it's not too difficult) but I'm not sure how to plan it if we don't know what time we will get off.  I'm travelling with two kids so trying to be as efficient as possible.

What do other people do?  If we decide to book a private transfer, do we need to put the latest possible time and and hang about if we get off early?  And if yes, what's a realistic sort of time (again, we will not be volunteering to be first off haha!! but I have no idea if the latest disembarkation is more like 8am or more like 10am etc)

Thank you!

We did a ship excursion that hit the highlights in Rome before dropping us at a downtown train station where we got a taxi.

I mention this because it was one of the better excursions I have ever taken on a Royal cruise.

• Like 2

They will be making enough noise onboard with announcements etc there is no chance of a lie in on that last day sadly! You will need to be out of your cabin by 8 and all breakfast venues will close at 8.30.  

If you arrange a driver for 9, that will have let the rush die down, and you should be in Rome just after 10.

I have used Civitavecchia Cab Service several times without issue. They will collect you from the ship side as you leave the terminal.

There will be a little questionaire thingie in the app that you complete with info of what time you want to leave the ship. It usually appears by day 2. 

• Like 2

Thank you to all, that's super helpful.  🙏

Knowing what my husband and kids are like, if the latest we need to be out of the room by is 8am, we will be out of the room by 8.05am.  😂  

Then walk down to breakfast to grab the last remnants before they close (story of our lives, no matter what time breakfast closes at!).

I assume we'll be done eating by 8.40am, then to the meeting point to disembark (8.45am-9am)  

We'll need to pick up our bags, so I'm assuming that takes around 15 minutes.

Therefore I think we could be ready to be picked up between 9am - 9.15am.

I've looked at train timings and have decided to take a shared shuttle which gives a nice balance of convenience vs price. (Thanks to those who gave recommendations!)

And will reserve the train experience for the return to the airport, since our hotel is 1 stop from Termini station and it looks like an easy journey from there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TCNLondon said:

Thank you to all, that's super helpful.  🙏

Knowing what my husband and kids are like, if the latest we need to be out of the room by is 8am, we will be out of the room by 8.05am.  😂  

Then walk down to breakfast to grab the last remnants before they close (story of our lives, no matter what time breakfast closes at!).

I assume we'll be done eating by 8.40am, then to the meeting point to disembark (8.45am-9am)  

We'll need to pick up our bags, so I'm assuming that takes around 15 minutes.

Therefore I think we could be ready to be picked up between 9am - 9.15am.

I've looked at train timings and have decided to take a shared shuttle which gives a nice balance of convenience vs price. (Thanks to those who gave recommendations!)

And will reserve the train experience for the return to the airport, since our hotel is 1 stop from Termini station and it looks like an easy journey from there.

Give BoB'S Limo Rome a quick look. We have used them several times and always had a good experience.  Four people in a shared Van would run about $ 175 total.  Ship and terminal will be cleared by 10am. 

• Like 1