Longtime Cruiser is going to try RC... need help please!

Posted (edited)

I just booked Harmony of the Seas for my Husband, daughter and I. We are used to Princess and Holland America, but decided to try a change.   I have a few questions and appreciate your expertise/ recent experience. (We did one RC cruise back in 2017 and things have changed).

1. How do you go about keeping wi-fi costs under control? $75 a day for the 3 of us seems outrageous. Do you have any insider tips?

2. What are extra pay for experiences on this ship? What would you recommend? Daughter is 18. This will be a chill out beachy vibe cruise for us.

3. We do not want the drink package---we like a few drinks but not all day long.  Any tips are greatly appreciated. Will probably drink mostly beer with occasional cocktail, glass of wine with dinner. Not into sodas.

4. How about the food and choices? Is Izumi a good choice for the money?  Suggestions? 

5. Any recommended ship excursions in Costa Maya? (been to all of these ports before).Maybe better to stay on ship?

Thank you for your time.

NanaGail

Edited by shiner6
add

1. Most people I know buy 1 plan for 1 device and then logon/ logoff and share the password.

2. Not familiar with this.

3. Do you have ANY status? If so, you get (2) 50% coupons per person with status good for wine & beer.  Best beer bargain is the 25oz Foster's Oil Can for $9.50 (and you can use the coupon on it).  They do have "drink of the day" and that is usually a few dollars cheaper, around $11. 

4. We don't normally believe in paying extra for food when decent food is already free, but I have always run into deals on all the specialty restaurants once on board, normally BOGO or 50% off type deals - for slow days (aka. NOT sea days).

5. No info.

Good luck!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

I just booked Harmony of the Seas for my Husband, daughter and I. We are used to Princess and Holland America, but decided to try a change.   I have a few questions and appreciate your expertise/ recent experience. (We did one RC cruise back in 2017 and things have changed).

1. How do you go about keeping wi-fi costs under control? $75 a day for the 3 of us seems outrageous. Do you have any insider tips?

Look at 1 person 3 devices if you all need to be logged in at once or you can share a 1 or 2 device package. If The Key (VIP pass) is similar in cost to internet, it may be worth it for your group instead.

2. What are extra pay for experiences on this ship? What would you recommend? Daughter is 18. This will be a chill out beachy vibe cruise for us.

Starbucks, specialty dining, escape room, spa are all extra. Mini golf, slides, zipline are included. There is no pool in the adults only are and our trip in summer the pools were packed. We did not do any paid activities onboard.

3. We do not want the drink package---we like a few drinks but not all day long.  Any tips are greatly appreciated. Will probably drink mostly beer with occasional cocktail, glass of wine with dinner. Not into sodas.

We do get the non-alcoholic refreshment package. It includes bottled water, lattes, mocktails, milkshakes, soda etc. but there is plenty to drink without a package and if you are only getting a special drink or 2 per day, just pay al a carte

4. How about the food and choices? Is Izumi a good choice for the money?  Suggestions? 

We did not try Izumi but a lot of people like it. We did go to Jaime's Italian for lunch and it was ok (I put it in chain restaurant quality) and dinner 1 night at Chops which was wonderful. If you want to try specialty dining, look into the dining plans. Personally I thought the main dining was good every night and not sure the value with specialty but have considered the 3 night plan.

5. Any recommended ship excursions in Costa Maya? (been to all of these ports before).Maybe better to stay on ship?

We did Chacchoben Extreme through Victor Bodden tours rather than a cruise excursion. The ruins were very interesting and the guide was an archaeologist but it was extremely hot and humid in June. The extreme part I have mixed feelings about. They did provide food, drinks, and it was at 7 colors lagoon which was beautiful and refreshing, but the food was just ok, the drinks were meh, and the silty algae feel in the water wasn't great.

Thank you for your time.

NanaGail

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

Thank you for your time.

NanaGail

They usually have "bucket of beer "specials , purchasing these and splitting them up will be a good option

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you Scubaslayer, LobsterStalker and pghflyer! This is very valuable info for us. If I purchase the wi-fi plan and use 2 devices, can my daughter use one at the same time? I have 2 phones.

1 minute ago, shiner6 said:

Thank you Scubaslayer, LobsterStalker and pghflyer! This is very valuable info for us. If I purchase the wi-fi plan and use 2 devices, can my daughter use one at the same time? I have 2 phones.

If you get a plan for 2 devices, only 2 devices can be logged on at the same time. So for her to get on, she would be kicking off one of the phones. If sharing with others, put down ground rules. We tried sharing a 2 device plan with 2 teens and it was an argument every time we needed to get online. Do you need both phones online at the same time? When we travel I have my phone and laptop but if I'm on the laptop, I don't need my phone connected at that time.

• Like 1

@shiner6 we've been on several RCCL cruises, including Harmony, and have never bought a drink package (alcoholic or otherwise) or spent a dime on the specialty restaurants. If you want the occasional beer or mixed drink, you can get that at any bar and it's charged to your Seapass card (with something like an 18% gratuity). We do that a couple of times during a cruise. 

As for the internet, you're on a cruise; put the devices away and enjoy the ship and the ports. We have only purchased internet once and that was a couple of years ago when one son was taking a summer class in college and needed some internet time. We purchased it for one device and would take turns logging in and out -- son would watch his class lectures, I'd check email, etc. 

I don't recall any pay-extra activities on Harmony, other than a cupcake decorating class or things like that.  (My thought is, if you can do it on land, why pay extra to do it on a ship? 😄 ) They have built some little shaded cabana things on the upper decks of Harmony that you can rent for some crazy amount of $$ a day, but there's plenty of shade available elsewhere. 

We've been to Costa Maya twice; the first time, some of us did the bird sanctuary that's right at the cruise pier; the second time, we didn't get off the ship. Hope this info helps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiner6 said:

We push each other us!  You can buy 1 plan for 2 devices.  It will be cheaper than buying 2 plans.

• Like 1

I think your questions have been answered in previous posts. I would add if you are interested in going to a speciality restaurant, I would recommend either Chops or 150 Central Park. I like Harmony, but it is my least favorite Oasis class ship because there is no pool in the Solarium. However, for a lot of people this isn’t an issue. 

We don't buy internet online.  We might send our adult children a text using free wifi in an island bar or cafe.  

Do you have the Royal Caribbean app on your phone yet?  It'll show you for-pay experiences onboard -- because they want you to go ahead and reserve /pay.  Keep an eye on this app as your cruise draws nearer, and you'll get more information about your cruise's no-cost shows, movies, etc. 

Drinks you'll get without cost:  Water, lemonade, tea (iced or hot), basic coffee, sometimes fruit punch, and (at breakfast) milk and juice.  If you want other drinks -- alcohol, smoothies, milkshakes -- you can "pay as you go" and probably spend much less than the drink package.  The cheapest beer you can buy is the pitcher in Playmakers' Sports Bar, though you know the pros and cons of buying a pitcher -- maybe that's an indulgence for an at-sea afternoon.  

We never do up-charge food, as we're happy with the standard food.  You can see the menu for Izumi and other specialty restaurants on the above-mentioned Royal Caribbean phone app. 

Check your itinerary to see how long you're going to be in Costa Maya -- it's sometimes a half-day island, and that'll matter for your plans.  They've built quite a few shops, activities, etc. right by the port.  Check You Tube for a "walk-through".  Likely you'd be happy hanging around the port.  

2- most things are free , entertainment on harmony is excellent, great broadway play Grease, ice show is also really good , aqua show is fantastic. Normally good piano player in schooner, good guitar player singer in pub etc etc . For a specialty restaurant I would do chops at lunch still can get a good steak and way less cost than dinner . You can bring on two bottles of wine .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The cheapest beer you can buy is the pitcher in Playmakers' Sports Bar, though you know the pros and cons of buying a pitcher -- maybe that's an indulgence for an at-sea afternoon.  

Just an FYI, Harmony does not have Playmakers. 

For Internet access, its cheaper for one person to buy a plan for how many devices need access at the same time e.g. buy a plan for 2 devices and share password is less expensive than two people buying plans for one device each. Then DW & DH share one device password and DD gets her own device password for example. It is true that mom and dad will have to switch between the two of them but are saving some money.

• Like 2

Last time we were on Harmony, they had a donut area across from the Dog House on deck 6.  Our assistant waiter worked there during mornings and told us the donuts there were made fresh in the Dog House kitchen while the ones in the buffet were made overnight.  Much better (plus he went in the back room and got a fresh tray for us).

Solarium has less shade than other Oasis class ships, but there is some by the Solarium Bar.  The Solarium Bistro is a good place for breakfast - much less crowded than Windjammer.  You can also access the wings above the bridge from the Solarium.

Escape the Rubicon escape room is extra charge.  So are the ship tours.

We share a single internet login. 

We have never bought a specialty dining meal, although sometimes at dinner we will order the Chops filet (around $12-16).  If specialty dining isn't selling the staff will wander around the ship with discounts.  Lots of free food outlets on this ship.

Seating for shows will open 45 minutes before the show if you have a reservation.  You can reserve production show, water show and ice show in advance of sailing.  Best seating in ice show is mid-side, and right side isn't used for suites/key/high Crown&Anchor.  They will sometimes add another ice or water show during the cruise, no reservations.

The biggest thing you will notice about Royal is they close the buffet between breakfast/lunch/dinner.  Totally unlike Princess.  So coming back from an excursion might not have anything significant open.  

• Like 1

One thing not mentioned is that you can bring two bottles of wine per adult with you in cabin.  Bring your favorite from home, and your waiter can serve you.  Or use a "portable bar" aka stanley cup or other if you want to bring a drink from your cabin elsewhere on ship.

11 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

One thing not mentioned is that you can bring two bottles of wine per adult with you in cabin.  Bring your favorite from home, and your waiter can serve you.  Or use a "portable bar" aka stanley cup or other if you want to bring a drink from your cabin elsewhere on ship.

It's 1 bottle per adult in the cabin, not 2.  Sorry.

• Like 1

If you mostly need internet in the cabin or when you are all together, and are technically savvy, you can share one internet connection between three people simultaneously. If one of you has an android phone, it likely supports creating a WIFI hotspot when connected to the internet over WIFI. It will drain the battery of the phone that makes the hotspot so a portable battery for that phone would help. If you all have iPhones, you can purchase a travel router that enables you to share a single internet connection. This only works when you are all close by each other.

If you only need the internet to text each other while on board, the Royal app has a free messaging facility that you can use to stay in touch. Unfortunately it does not support notifications so you need to check the app frequently to see if a message has arrived.

I consider Izumi to be a pretty good specialty restaurant option. If you mostly like sushi rolls, don't bother with the prix fix option as they give you only half-portion sushi rolls and it includes desert which I don't think is all that good. Instead just reserve for a la carte dining and you will get full size sushi rolls that are good for sharing. Also note that the prices in Izumi are the same for both dinner and lunch so I only go there for dinner. 

5 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Not really - as it is not enforced if you stay close to the official rule....

The official rule is 1 bottle per adult of drinking age.  It used to be 2 bottles per cabin, so you could often get away with 2 bottles per person.

20 hours ago, LeeW said:

Best seating in ice show is mid-side, and right side isn't used for suites/key/high Crown&Anchor.

The ice show is also best from a front-row seat!  It's worth arriving early 

20 hours ago, LeeW said:

So coming back from an excursion might not have anything significant open.  

Pizza is always open in the afternoons.  The only negative is that it seems to be everyone's go-to, and the lines can build up -- but they move fast.  

17 hours ago, topanga49er said:

If you BYO to the MDR, you may be charged a corking fee -- or you may not.  If you want to be safe and avoid it, open your wine in your cabin and bring your glass to the MDR.  Ask your cabin steward for glasses.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you BYO to the MDR, you may be charged a corking fee -- or you may not.  If you want to be safe and avoid it, open your wine in your cabin and bring your glass to the MDR.  Ask your cabin steward for glasses.  

There has never ever been a report of anybody being charged a or the corking fee - so no need to worry about it!

1. I would get the 1 person - 2 device plan, and share the password between you. Take turns, two of you on at a time.

2. I wouldn’t worry about any advance purchase on ship activities, unless someone is interested in cupcake making or sushi making. My 20 something daughters are not interested in those. 
3. Drinks - you could bring the 2 bottles of wine for your cabin, buy the buckets of beer for pool days, and possibly buy the Refreshment package for your daughter (bottled water, specialty coffees from the Promenade Cafe, virgin cocktails, smoothies from the Vitality Spa)

4. Izumi - we really enjoyed Izumi Hibachi, very typical to a land based Hibachi, which we enjoy. We have not tried Izumi Sushi.

5. I’m no help on Costa Maya, haven’t been there in awhile

Have Fun!

15 hours ago, eel said:

Unfortunately it does not support notifications so you need to check the app frequently to see if a message has arrived.

It does support notifications, but they're so unreliable that the second half of your post is still very true.

• Like 1