West bound transatlantic cruise questions

IDL

Are westbound transatlantic cruises from Europe to the USA generally at full capacity or less?  It looks like most are in October so I am assuming few children on these cruises do to the time of year and length. 

1 minute ago, IDL said:

Are westbound transatlantic cruises from Europe to the USA generally at full capacity or less?  It looks like most are in October so I am assuming few children on these cruises do to the time of year and length. 

We love the WB TA's and have been sailing on them for over10 years. Yes there are fewer children, and yes the ones we've been on (all with Celebrity) have sailed full.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TA's are very popular and even though they may be near sold out they are generally less packed due to fewer children and families traveling with more than 2 per cabin. 

We have mostly done annual WB TA's in the past 23 years and love them.   Booked on Silhouette for this year in November.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IDL said:

The beauty of a west bound vs east bound is you have at least 10 more hours on board! 

• Haha 1

Jim, what sailing are you on? I've been watching a few TA this fall & one has many openings still. Final payment due in a few weeks so if there's a price drop, we would consider going. But prices still high right now. 

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

The beauty of a west bound vs east bound is you have at least 10 more hours on board! 

Only 6 hours difference between Spain or Italy and Florida, but a very good point all the same.  We always look forward to those little cards on the bed that remind us to set our clocks back an hour!

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

Only 6 hours difference between Spain or Italy and Florida, but a very good point all the same.  We always look forward to those little cards on the bed that remind us to set our clocks back an hour!

True, but you would lose those six hours sailing east. So... there is at least 10 hours more sailing time with the cruise going west (than going east).  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yep, my calculation was based on 5 hours from Lisbon. If the time difference is 6 hours, you get a full half day (12 hours) extra going west compared to the same trip east in the opposite direction. 😉

1 hour ago, canderson said:

We always look forward to those little cards on the bed that remind us to set our clocks back an hour!

Yes, those are the best!  We did one eastbound TA and did NOT enjoy those little cards taking an hour away.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, IDL said:

Here is one data point: we did the westbound TA on Constellation in Oct 2022 (15 nights, Rome to Tampa) and there were 8 kids under 18 years old on board according to the Camp At Sea counselors.  By the way, there were four counselors onboard so the kids:counselor ratio was pretty good!

9B9730FC-106D-4BC4-8D28-33F00BFAC37C.jpe

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Yes, those are the best!  We did one eastbound TA and did NOT enjoy those little cards taking an hour away.

I do east and west transatlantic.  I lose sleep going east and get it back going west.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Here is one data point: we did the westbound TA on Constellation in Oct 2022 (15 nights, Rome to Tampa) and there were 8 kids under 18 years old on board according to the Camp At Sea counselors.  By the way, there were four counselors onboard so the kids:counselor ratio was pretty good!

9B9730FC-106D-4BC4-8D28-33F00BFAC37C.jpe

We had a similar counselor to children ratio on a New England/Canadian cruise due the time of year- counselors basically had little to do. 

We love the WB TA’s. Sailing one in October. It was originally full, but now that final payment is upon us, more cabins are opening up. We have always experienced very few to no kids and the kids that were on board were toddlers

9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder if the child count will be low on the Lisbon to Argentina cruise 🤔

Do a lot people from Brazil and Argentina cruise Celebrity or would they cruise on MSC ? 

Don't let that keep you up at night...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder if the child count will be low on the Lisbon to Argentina cruise 🤔

Do a lot people from Brazil and Argentina cruise Celebrity or would they cruise on MSC ? 

School will be the primary factor no matter the point of disembarkation.  Kid counts can be expected to be low.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I need to book one of these..westbound TA sounds great..get the long flight out of the way right off the bat. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I need to book one of these..westbound TA sounds great..get the long flight out of the way right off the bat. 

There's definitely something to be said for that as well.  When we first gave thought to the idea of a Transatlantic "repo" cruise as they were called back in the day, we weighted all of the pros and cons, and decided that if only one TA per year would be enough, a westbound would be our choice for this and a number of other reasons (e.g., the aforementioned GAIN of an hour of sleep once and again, rather than a loss!).

Back then, the ships rarely sailed at anywhere near capacity on these cruises.  It took some years before a hard core set of devotees formed and started filling the cabins.  Now it's not at all unusual to meet some of the same folks westbound year after year.  It's a cruise that caters to those who enjoy the "ship as a destination", not dissimilar from folks who take cruises with numerous ports, but who no longer get off the ship.  And since they've become popular, they're no longer the bargain they once were, either.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

There's definitely something to be said for that as well.  When we first gave thought to the idea of a Transatlantic "repo" cruise as they were called back in the day, we weighted all of the pros and cons, and decided that if only one TA per year would be enough, a westbound would be our choice for this and a number of other reasons (e.g., the aforementioned GAIN of an hour of sleep once and again, rather than a loss!).

Back then, the ships rarely sailed at anywhere near capacity on these cruises.  It took some years before a hard core set of devotees formed and started filling the cabins.  Now it's not at all unusual to meet some of the same folks westbound year after year.  It's a cruise that caters to those who enjoy the "ship as a destination", not dissimilar from folks who take cruises with numerous ports, but who no longer get off the ship.  And since they've become popular, they're no longer the bargain they once were, either.

I miss all the good stuff..I still want to do it, I only live 30 minutes from ATL..lots of non stops over to Europe…I really enjoy sea days..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I miss all the good stuff..I still want to do it, I only live 30 minutes from ATL..lots of non stops over to Europe…I really enjoy sea days..

Given the similarity in ports, we usually look to see which ship is making the slowest run.  We really enjoyed taking the WB TA on Silver Dawn last year, not least of which was because it was a slower crossing, total of 15nts vs. the 14, 13 or even 12 we see for some itineraries on Celebrity.

The 16nt Connie westbound Rome > Tampa TA for 2025 is already FULLY BOOKED for the Retreat cabins!  That's a testament to that hard core TA crowd I was mentioning.  If you want to join that party, it's a wait list or bust.

Edited by canderson
yet more tiny keyboard typoz

Posted (edited)

Watch out with the acronyms there, @Ex-Airbalancer !!!

I'd be surprised if they've actually got any suites blocked out for that 16nt Constellation TA next November, though.

Edit:

Turns out they have qty 1 S1 available.

Edited by canderson

9 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Jim, what sailing are you on? I've been watching a few TA this fall & one has many openings still. Final payment due in a few weeks so if there's a price drop, we would consider going. But prices still high right now. 

We are on November 16 Silhouette. 

Silhouette still has about 45 cabins open  -   It is not uncommon to see cancellations at or near final payment date.   Not sure of which category you are looking for but the prices I see are:

Inside $940 pp

Veranda Guarantee $990pp

Concierge  1,330 PP

Aqua 1,701 pp

SS   $5,740

Sunset Sky Suite $5,839