Future Cruise Deposits: Info Please

Robkat

This is a quick question about FCDs.

If we use FCDs for our deposits on a potential upcoming cruise, and then if, for some reason, we have to cancel that cruise, are the FCDs then returned to our accounts?  Understanding, of course, that there are expiry dates, but assuming that this is all done within the allotted time periods.  

We assume this would be the case, but then we wanted to ensure that the FCDs wouldn't be forfeited by a cancellation.

Thanks for your help.

Well, not always.

TA Star was cancelled by Princess. My FCD were returned as a FCC that I used towards another 15 day cruise without the $100 ppOBC.

Today my FCD were put back into my account when I cancelled a cruise.

2 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

And its immediate, within seconds

Not in my case. I was told it would be returned as a FCD, never happened and I gave up.

4 minutes ago, dog said:

Well, not always.

TA Star was cancelled by Princess. My FCD were returned as a FCC that I used towards another 15 day cruise without the $100 ppOBC.

Today my FCD were put back into my account when I cancelled a cruise.

We have never had that happen.  They have always been returned immediately upon our canceling.  🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have never had that happen.  They have always been returned immediately upon our canceling.  🤷‍♂️

Yes, same.  This was a real hassle - a lot of emailing back and forth and I finally gave up and told them to apply it to my final payment on another cruise, rather then wait to have it expire.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dog said:

Not in my case. I was told it would be returned as a FCD, never happened and I gave up.

I know you had that issue but normally, it is put back immediately.  

34 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I know you had that issue but normally, it is put back immediately.  

I wonder if it had anything to do with the Star TA being switched from Southampton to Barcelona departure- I did not accept- filled in form asking to give me back my deposit.

We cancelled and rebooked a cruise recently and the FCD was NOT transferred to the new booking. I received a refund to the credit card with which I had paid for it. This was the result of a huge issue with Princess Promotions (I know, I know ... I should have read the threads here first). To their credit, they did apply an onboard credit equal to what we had lost with the cancellation.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. 

It's interesting to read how various situations played out.  

I will say,  though, that it doesn't seem like Princess is uniform or constant on how it deals with FCDs.  

Good to be aware of things.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Similarly, my Aug 2025 Star Princess cruise booking was cancelled (by Princess), but instead of returning it back as a FCD it was converted to FCC. When I rebooked for another cruise for Aug 2025, I had to notify my Princess CVP to convert my FCC back to a FCD and restore my $100 OBC offer. It was a bit of effort to get them to do it, as it was escalated to his supervisor to approve the reconversion back to FCD instead of paying a bigger deposit for the rebooked cruise.

Edited by akaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For the first time in years I’m thinking of NOT buying a FCD on upcoming cruise. 
When this started you had 4 years to use it so I often bought a couple.

then it switched to must book within 2 years of purchase .. ok I get as it’s a liability on their books.

now it’s only a year. 
With so many $99 deposits with extra OBC promos, it’s a toss up whether it makes sense to buy ahead. 

Edited by remydiva
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fisherwoman said:

I cancelled a cruise in May and I'm still waiting for the FCD to be returned to my credit card.  Should I be calling Princess or are they slow?

I can only relate my experience from 2020 when we had 3 cancelled cruises.

You'll want to look at when you purchased that FCD.

If less than a year since FCD purchase, then just cancelled the cruise, it should have gone back to your account so you could reapply within a year of purchase. Unless chose to cancel and requested a refund. In which case you should have received a refund.

If you didn't request a refund, or reapply it, you should receive it after the year is up. Check your Princess account. It should still be there.

If your FCD purchase was more than a calendar year ago, let's say you bought it and applied it in April of '23, and you cancelled your cruise for May of '24, then your money should not be your account. You should have received a refund. Then yes, call. 

Policies change and I hope my recollections of 4 years ago do not mislead you. But certainly check purchase date and your account before calling.

6 hours ago, akaCruiser said:

Similarly, my Aug 2025 Star Princess cruise booking was cancelled (by Princess), but instead of returning it back as a FCD it was converted to FCC. When I rebooked for another cruise for Aug 2025, I had to notify my Princess CVP to convert my FCC back to a FCD and restore my $100 OBC offer. It was a bit of effort to get them to do it, as it was escalated to his supervisor to approve the reconversion back to FCD instead of paying a bigger deposit for the rebooked cruise.

So, similar to me.

My FCD turned to a FCC was still applied to the cancelled Star cruise, that was also an issue with the way this was dealt with.

i will no longer buy FCD as the $99 deposit with agency OBC suits me better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dog said:

So, similar to me.

My FCD turned to a FCC was still applied to the cancelled Star cruise, that was also an issue with the way this was dealt with.

i will no longer buy FCD as the $99 deposit with agency OBC suits me better.

Yeah, I have to agree, as previously it was up to two years for the FCD, but know it seems that they have shorten it to just one year, which really doesn't do that much as a future booking option

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fisherwoman said:

I cancelled a cruise in May and I'm still waiting for the FCD to be returned to my credit card.  Should I be calling Princess or are they slow?

I would, mine goes back to my account as a credit immediately so I can book a different cruise.  

• 1 month later...

Purchasing a FCD.

Haven’t been onboard for a while, but will be onboard soon.

Just confirming please, it is still a simple process to purchase 1 or 2 FCDs onboard using the app.

Also, in the past I have gone into the Future Cruise Sales office onboard, purchased a FCD and immediately had it applied to a brand new booking all done in the office.

Is that still the case, or has the system changed ?

1 minute ago, Tranquility Base said:

Purchasing a FCD.

Just confirming please, it is still a simple process to purchase 1 or 2 FCDs onboard using the app.

Also, in the past I have gone into the Future Cruise Sales office onboard, purchased a FCD and immediately had it applied to a brand new booking all done in the office.

Yes, you can purchase them thru the app.  As many as you like!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Yes, I did this on my recent cruise Aug 3-10th on Sky Princess.

I waited a day (not sure I had to)  and was able to go to the Future Cruise Desk and book a cruise for 2026 using the 2 FCD's I bought the day before on the App.

Bonus I was not given the pitch for the promotion !

Edited by ColoradoMom!!
  • Thanks 1

Yes. You can purchase using the Princess App, or you can fill out an order form and drop it at the Future Cruise Sales department. Thee was a drop box on my last cruise.

You can book cruises on board. You will receive the same benefit of the $100 deposit plus the OBC as if you used an FCD. Personally I like to just purchase the FCDs and then search for the cruise(s) once at home and away from the cruise ship "high". 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Purchasing a FCD.

Yea we even ordered FCD on the app while we were on the phone with our CVP who then entered them onto our cruise all in 3 minutes

• Thanks 1