Norwegian Fjords - changes afoot?

BigAl94

10 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Havila is similar as Hurtigruten. 
It’s a competitor. 
Same sailing and ports of call on the classic coastal sailing. 

Ships in the Havila fleet is brand new. 
Hurtigruten has older ships. 
I haven’t sailed on Havila, just seen her in port. 
Ships look great and the amenities onboard are very nice 👍🏻 

So I personally is very tempted to test them💙

The introduction of Havila was intended to provide completion for Hurtigruten which has always enjoyed a monopoly on this route. I maybe cynical but I wonder if the decision to allow a competitor was due to Hurtigruten now being British owned rather than Norwegian.

We have cruised Hurtigruten twice - classic Round-trip 12 night over Christmas/ New Year and Antarctica including South Georgia and the Falklands on the Fram.

We loved the whole experience. Cabins are functional rather than luxurious, the food local/traditional instead of bland, entertainment low key a piano bar, interesting talks and on Fram shows featuring the crew (everyone from the Captain down ). Great viewing lounges and deck space.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The introduction of Havila was intended to provide completion for Hurtigruten which has always enjoyed a monopoly on this route. I maybe cynical but I wonder if the decision to allow a competitor was due to Hurtigruten now being British owned rather than Norwegian.

We have cruised Hurtigruten twice - classic Round-trip 12 night over Christmas/ New Year and Antarctica including South Georgia and the Falklands on the Fram.

We loved the whole experience. Cabins are functional rather than luxurious, the food local/traditional instead of bland, entertainment low key a piano bar, interesting talks and on Fram shows featuring the crew (everyone from the Captain down ). Great viewing lounges and deck space.

It was not a governmental decision from only the Norwegian government. 

Norway is not a eu-member, but we are a Schengen member and Eøs.... So due to this, we are obliged to put everything as an open contest to be able to deliver offers for services from all eu/eøs countries. 

So ESA decidet that the monopoly of Hurtigruten was a big problem of the tender freedom for this service. 

That's why they had to spilt the Hurtigruten/coastal service into 2 vendors.

Im personally very against this "harassment" from ESA since we are not a eu member. And when EU says jump, we must jump asap.... And have nothing to say about. 

We used our NO card once and it backfired heavily, so the Norwegian government is not keen on using the opportunity to say NO...... We used it for the postal service. And we have had a really tuff time after that no, if we have raised a concern or wish to say no to something. 

This happened before Hurtigruten was sold to English "hands".

My big concern and something that has been discussed heavily in Norway is the ownership of Havila. 

They have lots of Russian cooperated things in this company. So when they received their new ships after a heavy delay.... they could not get insurance due to the problems in Russia. 

So it has a very bitter sweet taste in my mouth.....

After lots of back and forth, fixing the company structure, they were able to get insurance as needed to be able to sail in Norwegian waters.... But still...... 

I personally are very happy for Hurtigruten, it's the "classic" and they deliver a very good product in destinasjon and expedition sailing. We use them as the local ferry several times;) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

It was not a governmental decision from only the Norwegian government. 

Norway is not a eu-member, but we are a Schengen member and Eøs.... So due to this, we are obliged to put everything as an open contest to be able to deliver offers for services from all eu/eøs countries. 

So ESA decidet that the monopoly of Hurtigruten was a big problem of the tender freedom for this service. 

That's why they had to spilt the Hurtigruten/coastal service into 2 vendors.

Im personally very against this "harassment" from ESA since we are not a eu member. And when EU says jump, we must jump asap.... And have nothing to say about. 

We used our NO card once and it backfired heavily, so the Norwegian government is not keen on using the opportunity to say NO...... We used it for the postal service. And we have had a really tuff time after that no, if we have raised a concern or wish to say no to something. 

This happened before Hurtigruten was sold to English "hands".

My big concern and something that has been discussed heavily in Norway is the ownership of Havila. 

They have lots of Russian cooperated things in this company. So when they received their new ships after a heavy delay.... they could not get insurance due to the problems in Russia. 

So it has a very bitter sweet taste in my mouth.....

After lots of back and forth, fixing the company structure, they were able to get insurance as needed to be able to sail in Norwegian waters.... But still...... 

I personally are very happy for Hurtigruten, it's the "classic" and they deliver a very good product in destinasjon and expedition sailing. We use them as the local ferry several times;) 

So much for my conspiracy theory.

Oh well British or Norwegian owned the overall Hurtigruten experience is still great. 

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2024 at 6:56 AM, NMTraveller said:

The other issue is that Celebrity is putting E class ships on these itineraries.  Not good for a scenic cruise unless you are in a suite and have access to the front of the ship.

I was on the same cruise.  While I did have access to the front of the ship, the wind barriers made it tough to photograph in that direction.  I found that there were very good views from the open areas near the walking track (where I didn't have issues with the glass).  Eden also has great views from the back of the ship.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I had access to the front I actually spent a good amount of time in other areas during the early morning sail in and the afternoon sail out through the fjords.  🙂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

I was on the same cruise.  While I did have access to the front of the ship, the wind barriers made it tough to photograph in that direction.  I found that there were very good views from the open areas near the walking track (where I didn't have issues with the glass).  Eden also has great views from the back of the ship.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I had access to the front I actually spent a good amount of time in other areas during the early morning sail in and the afternoon sail out through the fjords.  🙂

I have been on quite a few smaller ships going through the Panamal Canal locks,  New Zealand South Island etc. with views of the front and back. While someone may take a quick glance to the back,  everyone is always looking forwards.  Why settle for something sub optimal?  The rear views just do not do it.  If the rear was the best place on the ship,  then the bridge would be back there and they would be navigating from the rear 😉

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)

That's fine.  I just wanted to add my experience.  I also prefer looking forward, but actually preferred looking forward from the walking path for the views.  They were better from there.  They don't keep the forward glass clean. 😉 

ETA - I understand where you are coming from.  I booked a Retreat cabin for that very reason, and while I really enjoyed it, I honestly was kind of disappointed that I couldn't get in front of the glass to get clear photos.

Edited by MMMCruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

If the rear was the best place on the ship,  then the bridge would be back there and they would be navigating from the rear 😉

Ever look a the location of the pilot house on freighters (even the Lakes ships) built in the last 50 years?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 6:37 AM, Norwaylady said:

Electric plug for cruise ships has been available for a longer time in several ports in Norway. But the cruise ships has not been able to use it, unless the ship has been rebuild or it is newer. 

Seems to be an issue at many ports. I always picture the ship pulling up, somebody dropping one of those orange extension cords down, only to discover it has the wrong plugs. Then there’s a big scramble as they look for an adapter. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is the best time of the year for a fjord cruise?  We have cruised Milford Sound and Patagonia in southern Hemisphere but never Norway.

Depends on what you are looking for.

With cruise lines like X you do very little actual "scenic/Fjord cruising"  and so you are limited to Spring to Autumn/Fall. The ports you visit get very crowded in peak season and at some the passengers more than double the town's population.

If you want to really see the Fjords you need a cruise line like Hurtigruten - it's 12 night Classic Roundtrip includes 34 ports and a 100 fjords. We did the trip over Christmas and the New Year and the perpetual "twilight" made the trip especially magical. Our excursions included: an Ice Hotel, A Sledge ride over the snow with Husky dogs on Christmas Day, a midnight exclusive concert in  Trondheim Cathedral plus several appearances of the Northern Lights.

Milford, Dusky and Doubtful Sounds experience  -  another magical day - we stayed on deck the whole day and whereas at the start you could hardly move there were so many passengers on deck by the end the we practically had the deck to ourselves.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Depends on what you are looking for.

With cruise lines like X you do very little actual "scenic/Fjord cruising"  and so you are limited to Spring to Autumn/Fall. The ports you visit get very crowded in peak season and at some the passengers more than double the town's population.

If you want to really see the Fjords you need a cruise line like Hurtigruten - it's 12 night Classic Roundtrip includes 34 ports and a 100 fjords. We did the trip over Christmas and the New Year and the perpetual "twilight" made the trip especially magical. Our excursions included: an Ice Hotel, A Sledge ride over the snow with Husky dogs on Christmas Day, a midnight exclusive concert in  Trondheim Cathedral plus several appearances of the Northern Lights.

Milford, Dusky and Doubtful Sounds experience  -  another magical day - we stayed on deck the whole day and whereas at the start you could hardly move there were so many passengers on deck by the end the we practically had the deck to ourselves.

What is the reason you cannot see the fjords on Celebrity?  They don't go there?  They don't let you outside to see the view?

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is the reason you cannot see the fjords on Celebrity?  They don't go there?  They don't let you outside to see the view?

Might be worth looking at the handful of X itineraries that touch Norway.  Easy to search.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Might be worth looking at the handful of X itineraries that touch Norway.  Easy to search.

I already have.  Which is why I ask about them in this thread.

Edited by zitsky

Just now, zitsky said:

I already have.  Which is why I think it's relevant to ask about them in this thread.

Then you already know exactly why you don't see much in the way of fjords on a Celebrity cruise.  Itinerary.

If you want a full Norway sailing, I recommend a round trip Hurtigruten sailing. 
Or some of the longer X sailings. 

Apex has 12/14n sailings in August 2025. 
They cover great distances and ports of call. 
It’s scenic cruising along Helgeland coastline and you stop in great ports of call AND get fjords🥰🇳🇴

31 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

If you want a full Norway sailing, I recommend a round trip Hurtigruten sailing. 
Or some of the longer X sailings. 

Apex has 12/14n sailings in August 2025. 
They cover great distances and ports of call. 
It’s scenic cruising along Helgeland coastline and you stop in great ports of call AND get fjords🥰🇳🇴

Thanks.  I appreciate that and we will look into that.

I notice Apex cruises from Southhampton, UK and Eclipse cruises from Amsterdam.  We would like the longer cruise on Apex but we would certainly want a Sky Suite for the balcony.  Hasn't Apex and all Edge class removed the forward viewing lounge?  Eclipse is shorter but we could get a balcony for less money plus we could explore Amsterdam before or after.  We do have friends in London so maybe that's an excuse to see them before a cruise on Apex.

Regarding the zero emissions zones in the Norwegian Heritage areas from 2026 it has long been discussed whether a transition period should be introduced to cater for the tourism industry in Flåm and Geiranger - I do not know the final proposal for the transition period until 2032 for the large cruis  ships, but there will certainly be restrictions with regard to emissions, including quality and type of fuel, how old ships must be and access to Lindstrøm when the ship is in port.

For the time being I expect the Aoex will be able to meet the ‘new 2032’  requirements.

1 minute ago, hallasm said:

Regarding the zero emissions zones in the Norwegian Heritage areas from 2026 it has long been discussed whether a transition period should be introduced to cater for the tourism industry in Flåm and Geiranger - I do not know the final proposal for the transition period until 2032 for the large cruis  ships, but there will certainly be restrictions with regard to emissions, including quality and type of fuel, how old ships must be and access to Lindstrøm when the ship is in port.

For the time being I expect the Aoex will be able to meet the ‘new 2032’  requirements.

What about the Eclipse, sailing from Amsterdam?  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What about the Eclipse, sailing from Amsterdam?  Thanks.

She has shorter sailings as you say. So they will only cover western coast of Norway 🇳🇴 

You will still get a fjord and the Norwegian 🇳🇴 coastal areas. 
But you will not cross the artic circle ️ and you will not have all the scenery changes when you sail further north. 
So it’s a decision of what you want to see and visit🥰

27 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

So it’s a decision of what you want to see and visit🥰

I think we've become convinced that to really see the fjords, one should take a Hurtigruten cruise with a far more tailored itinerary.  When it comes to fjords, the Celebrity (and other big line) itineraries remind me more of the bus excursions that 'pass by' most of the good stuff while the guide in the front of the bus tells you what you just passed 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were just on a cruise to Norway last month on the Sky Princess and can't wait to visit @Norwaylady's beautiful country again in 2025. First on the June 7-day Eclipse cruise mentioned above,

image.png.6d188121f42f97653eacbeea8025e09c.png

and then again in August on the Viking Neptune! We've never cruised with Viking before. But their itinerary, which includes 2 days in Longyearbyen, looked too awesome to pass up! 

image.png.ef720a226836e91a2b5e885b7cf1eadf.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

I think we've become convinced that to really see the fjords, one should take a Hurtigruten cruise with a far more tailored itinerary.  When it comes to fjords, the Celebrity (and other big line) itineraries remind me more of the bus excursions that 'pass by' most of the good stuff while the guide in the front of the bus tells you what you just passed 😉

Yes, in many ways a decent comparison. 

I sail Hurtigruten on a regular basis for distance a to b…( for us it’s the ferry ride to family) 

And we have sailed a full round trip. 

But there are some things that are different on Hurtigruten and a classic cruise line. 

On Hurtigruten you have more stops, it covers 34 stops. 
For me, it’s the local ferry and mail boat. 
For tourists it’s a cruise. 

The ships are smaller than a X or Royal cruise, think AZ in size. 

Food is really good and local food on Hurtigruten. 
Entertainment is very different from a cruise line. No show, or big events. 

So there are pros and cons of what YOUR preferences are about.

Its very important to think about what you want and in what pace of travel and activity you are looking for😇 

I’m very open for a new Hurtigruten adventure/HX expedition or some of their special Norwegian sailings. 

On the other hand I’m very ready to do a “full Norwegian cruise” on a bells and whistle cruise😂😂🥰🇳🇴🇳🇴🇳🇴️