The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 29th, 2024

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The VA finally came thru with approval for a pair of glasses after my exam a couple of months ago so I went to the local optical company to pick out a pair this morning.  Not sure why they picked this company as it seems to be more expensive then the other ones in town.

Sorry to see that so many of us are having difficulty getting up and down stairs in their house.  We have a two story house and have been thinking that maybe we should move to a one story house because of things like carrying laundry up and down the stairs as we age.  I wonder if a cost effective alternative to installing an elevator would be those mechanical chair things that are used with existing stairs.  Do any of us dailyites have any experience with them?

Ray

Ray - we moved out of our split entry house & had this one built....I call it my "fractured hip" house (I'm a retired ortho RN) -- only 2 steps to enter & everything we need is on the entry level.  There is a basement accessed by stairs (6 - landing - 7) with 2 bedrooms, rec room, bathroom & a whatever room that has storage shelves, upright freezer & a dog bathtub....no real reason to go down there except to clean it when we're expecting company, which we are in September, so plenty of time to get it in shape.

Edited by 57redbird
more info
  • Like 16

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ray we've been having the same discussion.  Our problem is the stairs don't go straight up, there's a small landing and then a turn to the rest of the stairs.  I supposed it could be done, but would cost more than a straight shot.

My Dear Dad actually looked into putting a small elevator in his house and had it arranged but then he passed away before it was begun.  

We have the same kind of stairs.  I think the curved rather than the straight version would work.

Ray

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, today I went over to neighbor Brenda's house for our chat and was late to lunch at my house.  DH waited.  😉  They haven't sold their home because a deal just fell through, but they have another interested party coming to see it tomorrow.  So fingers crossed.  The only other news is her husband is bored sitting at home and not planning motorcoach trips.  So he found a job to do on Facebook driving vehicles for delivery for Ford and another company I hadn't heard of before.  Most are customized trucks for businesses and he enjoys delivering them to places here in Georgia and even Florida.  He loves to drive and is keeping his skills sharp for when he goes back on the road again in his motorhome.

But ironically Brenda's house has a stair lift to their lower level and it curves at the bottom.  It was installed for her DF Copeland who lived with them when they first moved in.  Unfortunately he passed away from Covid in August 2021 about 8 months after they moved in.  They also remodeled the shower in his bathroom to be a low lip walk-in shower.  So this house is set up for disabled individuals.  Here's a photo taken from the web of a real estate company.  Their stairs look a little wider than most people have but it can be done if you decide to look into it Ray @USN59-79 and Carolyn @Cruising-along.

other_interiors featured at 1111 Satilla Ct, Griffin, GA 30223

Edited by StLouisCruisers
clarification
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The VA finally came thru with approval for a pair of glasses after my exam a couple of months ago so I went to the local optical company to pick out a pair this morning.  Not sure why they picked this company as it seems to be more expensive then the other ones in town.

Sorry to see that so many of us are having difficulty getting up and down stairs in their house.  We have a two story house and have been thinking that maybe we should move to a one story house because of things like carrying laundry up and down the stairs as we age.  I wonder if a cost effective alternative to installing an elevator would be those mechanical chair things that are used with existing stairs.  Do any of us dailyites have any experience with them?

Ray

33 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ray we've been having the same discussion.  Our problem is the stairs don't go straight up, there's a small landing and then a turn to the rest of the stairs.  I supposed it could be done, but would cost more than a straight shot.

My Dear Dad actually looked into putting a small elevator in his house and had it arranged but then he passed away before it was begun.  

My DMIL had one of the chair lifts and it worked very well for her.  Her stairs were 4 straight and then a corner and up another six or so.  It kept her in her home which she loved. 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, today I went over to neighbor Brenda's house for our chat and was late to lunch at my house.  DH waited.  😉  They haven't sold their home because a deal just fell through, but they have another interested party coming to see it tomorrow.  So fingers crossed.  The only other news is her husband is bored sitting at home and not planning motorcoach trips.  So he found a job to do on Facebook driving vehicles for delivery for Ford and another company I hadn't heard of before.  Most are customized trucks for businesses and he enjoys delivering them to places here in Georgia and even Florida.  He loves to drive and is keeping his skills sharp for when he goes back on the road again in his motorhome.

But ironically Brenda's house has a stair lift to their lower level and it curves at the bottom.  It was installed for her DF Copeland who lived with them when they first moved in.  Unfortunately he passed away from Covid in August 2021 about 8 months after they moved in.  They also remodeled the shower in his bathroom to be a walk in tub.  So this house is set up for disabled individuals.  Here's a photo taken from the web of a real estate company.  Their stairs look a little wider than most people have but it can be done if you decide to look into it Ray @USN59-79 and Carolyn @Cruising-along.

Thanks for the picture.  Looks like the width of the stairs is an important consideration.  Ours are 36" wide.  

Ray

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We're on Vashon, directly across from Sea-Tac airport. And the rain we did have that reset our weather gauge was 0.015" so it barely counts. Sadly, the rain here didn't last and everything is dry again. I hope some more shows up. Everyone I spoke with this morning agreed it was a lovely, cloudy PNW day😅.

I had to go outside to see if it's still raining here.  It has stopped for now, everything is still very wet, and the chance of precipitation goes up more later today.  I don't think it's done here!

17 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We have the same kind of stairs.  I think the curved rather than the straight version would work.

Ray

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

But ironically Brenda's house has a stair lift to their lower level and it curves at the bottom.  It was installed for her DF Copeland who lived with them when they first moved in.  Unfortunately he passed away from Covid in August 2021 about 8 months after they moved in.  They also remodeled the shower in his bathroom to be a low lip walk-in shower.  So this house is set up for disabled individuals.  Here's a photo taken from the web of a real estate company.  Their stairs look a little wider than most people have but it can be done if you decide to look into it Ray @USN59-79 and Carolyn @Cruising-along.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

My DMIL had one of the chair lifts and it worked very well for her.  Her stairs were 4 straight and then a corner and up another six.  It kept her in her home which she loved. 

Thank you, good to know!

Ray @USN59-79 our stairs are also 36 inches wide.  Please let us know here if you decide to go with this. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Time for a quick afternoon check-in.  

@grapau27my comforting thoughts as you remember Pauline's DD father today.  What a nice way to remember him and the day of his passing.

@SusieKIslandGirlyou made me laugh. 

@USN59-79friends of ours who live in a very small town had one installed in their home going directly into the basement so they could continue living in their own place.  A neighbour down the street from us has a chair lift installed and theirs looks very similar to the photograph provided - both families are pleased with the results.

DH decided to use his skills (?) to try to fix the garage door opener . . . yeah, well.  His DS came over, took one look and started making phone calls - we should be getting a couple of quotes over the next day or two to replace the opener.  LOL

Have a great evening, all!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, highscar said:

@Haljo1935paid a little more but worth it bringing so memories many years ago with my girls.  Gave it to my great granddaughter who immediately took the glasses off the wore them herself. 

I never found out what my mom did with mine - she was in great shape, even the pull string still worked ☺️

I hope your GGD enjoys her and creates some nice memories. 😎

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Time for a quick afternoon check-in.  

@grapau27my comforting thoughts as you remember Pauline's DD father today.  What a nice way to remember him and the day of his passing.

@SusieKIslandGirlyou made me laugh. 

@USN59-79friends of ours who live in a very small town had one installed in their home going directly into the basement so they could continue living in their own place.  A neighbour down the street from us has a chair lift installed and theirs looks very similar to the photograph provided - both families are pleased with the results.

DH decided to use his skills (?) to try to fix the garage door opener . . . yeah, well.  His DS came over, took one look and started making phone calls - we should be getting a couple of quotes over the next day or two to replace the opener.  LOL

Have a great evening, all!

Thank you Gerry for your kind thoughts.

It is sunny and 68°F here at 09.44am in North East England.

• Like 4