Cunard experience for Australians?

I am tempted by a 17 days segment of the Cunard Queen Anne world cruise 2025, which has been re-routed away from the Red Sea, and now goes from Singapore to Cape Town.  The brand new ship looks great, though maybe a little bigger than I would prefer. 

My main worry is whether I would enjoy the formality of Cunard. I'm not a fan of dressing up, and don't own any formal evening clothes. I don't want to buy any either, but I can make an effort to find appropriate evening clothes. I have enjoyed HAL cruises, and put a high priority on food and wine, and have enjoyed some of the more upmarket entertainment on HAL.

I'm more worried that I will be out of place with the "typical" sophisticated Cunard cruiser.  Would appreciate comments from any Australian cruisers who have been on a Cunard cruise.

• Like 4

Half a dozen Cunard cruises under the cummerbund. 

If you don't enjoy dressing up, or "formal attire", then Cunard may not be the right fit for you.

The vast majority of passengers WILL dress up. Tuxes (and more), nice gowns,  jacket and tie for gentlemen as a minimum for "regular" nights.

Daytime is laid back and "resort casual".

You CAN rent formal wear on board, but that stuff is EXPENSIVE to rent and they don't have TOO many pieces.

If you like an upmarket experience without the formal nights, (at least not many of them), HAL is very good. Or Seabourn, if the budget allows it.

Celebrity also has excellent ships and service and is a lot more contemporary. 

🙂

• Thanks 1

We have done one, back in 2016, and whole I had a tuxedo with me, formal night was not as formal as I expected. Yes many men were in tuxedos 30%, many more in dark suits 50% but also many more with not even a black jacket 20%.

The women were similarly dressed, ball gowns, cocktail dresses, evening chic, there was a lot more variety and a bit of being went a long way to fancy up their outfits.

I wouldn't  worry too much, we had one man onboard that never got out of shorts for the entire cruise, the buffet was good enough for him (it was good). And another man at our table had a tracksuit jacket for his jacket, wore it into the dining room and then hung it over his chair.

We do have another cunard cruise in December.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been on Cunard (on wish list) but a friend has several times. For her last cruise she borrowed one of my blingy evening dresses which went down a treat apparently. Bit sad that my clothes put on the Ritz whilst I stayed at home in a jeans and t shirt.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

One of Cunard's features is the sense of occasion, which involves making an effort to dress the part on most evenings. While you can get around it, I can't see the point of trying to make a Cunard cruise like any other.

Cunard isn't about sophistication though.

• Like 4

We are going on our 5th Cunard cruise in November and as others have said, it can be a bit formal. In saying that, being a segment of a world cruise it might be more formal than QE will be from Sydney. I don’t think they enforce jackets for men every night. With ladies, cocktail dresses or trousers and a sparkle top will suffice.

I think QA would be an amazing experience and one that I would go on in a heartbeat. You certainly won’t be out of place.

PS If it is a formal night you can always do the Lido Buffet if you don’t want to dress up. Food there is amazing and sometimes better than the Brittania dining Room, which I don’t consider any better than any other line.

• Like 2

I've only been on one Cunard cruise, while the ship's decor and the dress code were elevated compared to regular cruise lines, I wouldn't say the clientele were any more sophisticated than usual.  They were just regular people, on average a bit older than on other cruise lines.  Food and service were on par with my experience on other cruise lines - generally very good with some stand outs and some disappointments.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone.  I was planning to go to Africa (a safari is on the bucket list) and getting there on a cruise seems like a great idea. There are more choices in 2025, now the Suez canal is out of the picture, and I'd like to try Cunard.  I can make myself presentable for formal nights, and I like what I read about facilities onboard. Now I just have to find the budget!

• Like 1

I suspect the 2025 Princess world cruise will end up going via Africa, like we did this year. I doubt the conflicts around Suez will be resolved by then, to the point where it is safe to cruise through there. So that might be an alternative if Cunard isn't viable.

• Like 1

Princess has already announced the world cruise will be going via Cape Town in 2025. I did look at the itinerary for the Melbourne to Cape Town segment, but it has too few ports and too many sea days for me, compared to the Cunard itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I suspect the 2025 Princess world cruise will end up going via Africa, like we did this year. I doubt the conflicts around Suez will be resolved by then, to the point where it is safe to cruise through there. So that might be an alternative if Cunard isn't viable.

The way things are going in M.E. region, I can't see much change before maybe 2050

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone.  I was planning to go to Africa (a safari is on the bucket list) and getting there on a cruise seems like a great idea. There are more choices in 2025, now the Suez canal is out of the picture, and I'd like to try Cunard.  I can make myself presentable for formal nights, and I like what I read about facilities onboard. Now I just have to find the budget!

One thing we like about Cunard is the guest speakers. On our next cruise we have Michelle Payne and Kate Cerbrano. We will be looking forward to their stories. South Africa is certainly an interesting country, you will enjoy it! I envy you thinking of going on QA.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We sailed with Cunard again in late May, disembarking in June, for Queen Anne's naming voyage.  The ship is beautiful, both in decor and ambience, although yes, we found her just a little too large for us.  Queen Elizabeth last year was perfect.  We were fortunate to enjoy Queens Grill, both voyages, where the cuisine was superb, as was service and the convivial company around us. 

Cunard offers a different experience, in that it has several formal theme evenings (usually no more than one or two per week).  The themes are the same for all Cunard ships:  Black and White, Red and Gold, Roaring Twenties, Masked (think Venetian masks).  You only need a touch of colour or a mask added to your chosen evening wear to salute the theme, and many people don't even bother to do that anyway.  The men usually don a dinner jacket and bow tie, but a dark suit or even a tailored jacket with day tie is often seen.  On this last voyage, a circumnavigation of the British Isles and Ireland, several men looked resplendent in kilts.  Some women dress in either cocktail dresses or long gowns, but the majority (including me) were in evening pants and dressy tops.  A string of pears can instantly transform smart day wear to elegant evening wear, btw. 

Guest Lecturers were really engaging, and the shows we witnessed were really enjoyable.  Tours were the same, although this last time we tended to stay more aboard, as we both contracted upper respiratory infections (not Covid, so there are other pesky bugs in these times).  For other evenings, DH wore a normal collared shirt and a tailored jacket, usually sans tie.  Many men wore simply the collared shirt, but the air conditioning calls for the jacket.  They seem to crank it up as the evening wears on.  A good way to clear the restaurant by 9.30-10pm.

Cunard staff members are simply wonderful:  skilled, efficient, helpful, polite, attentive, friendly, and so generous with their time and advice.

Having said all that, dressing for a formal evening is not mandatory.  I'm reading between the lines that any hesitation you have is because of perceived formality.  Guests are free to dress as they normally would in the evening, and enjoy the buffet ("Lido" on all Cunarders except the new Queen Anne, where it is now called "Artisan" food hall).  Just like Mic, we saw a few in shorts and polos on formal evenings in the pub, so I'm guessing they enjoyed eating in Artisan.  The traditional pub is a fantastic, casual spot with live music and other entertainment every evening, but only on Queen Elizabeth have I seen dinner served there.  Lunch (think good fish and chips, etc.) is available in the pub ("Golden Lion") on Queen Anne) every day.

I think you will really enjoy your planned Cunard experience.  We've sailed on too many lines to list, but I think it's probably the most relaxing of all.  The only proviso is as I mentioned at the beginning of these remarks:  Queen Anne is a big ship.

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Avocados may be a nice in-between, heavier than pears and not ax mushy when ripe, but lighter than pineapples.

Well, they're not called avocado pears for nothing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You have all convinced me. Thanks so much for all the words of advice and encouragement. My wonderful cruise travel agent has searched around for my particular cabin requirements and found me a good balcony cabin in a location I like.  So I've booked it! Whoo Hoo!! Queen Anne Singapore to Cape Town, 18 days in March next year.   Cunard are actually having a sale of sorts with reduced deposits and generous on board credit, which reduces the pain a little, though it still wouldn't make it to the El Cheapo cruise list.  Now I've just got to organise some airfares plus a safari to add at the end of the cruise.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 7:55 AM, cruiser3775 said:

I did the reverse itinerary in 2016 on Queen Victoria, Cape Town to Fremantle. As there are a lot of sea days, there was an excellent lecture program. Cunard is particularly good in that field.  My husband grudgingly took a suit, but wore shorts the rest of the time.  His slacks and a short sleeved shirt were fine most nights in the MDR. Women have much more flexibility.

Many Cunard cruisers are definitely not sophisticated!

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 4

I have always wanted to go on a cruise liner.  I missed the earlier versions.  So I may one day go on Cunard.  I would be satisfied to eat in the buffet when necessary. I know I would enjoy the lectures and the library.  I could take one dressy dress for dancing.  Do they have dancing hosts for single passengers?

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have always wanted to go on a cruise liner.  I missed the earlier versions.  So I may one day go on Cunard.  I would be satisfied to eat in the buffet when necessary. I know I would enjoy the lectures and the library.  I could take one dressy dress for dancing.  Do they have dancing hosts for single passengers?

QM2 is the only cruise liner out of the Cunard fleet. In 2016 they had dance hosts, not sure if they still do but can find our in December.The buffet was awesome but of course it lacks the atmosphere , service and presentation of a dining room.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:37 PM, cruiser3775 said:

You have all convinced me. Thanks so much for all the words of advice and encouragement. My wonderful cruise travel agent has searched around for my particular cabin requirements and found me a good balcony cabin in a location I like.  So I've booked it! Whoo Hoo!! Queen Anne Singapore to Cape Town, 18 days in March next year.   Cunard are actually having a sale of sorts with reduced deposits and generous on board credit, which reduces the pain a little, though it still wouldn't make it to the El Cheapo cruise list.  Now I've just got to organise some airfares plus a safari to add at the end of the cruise.

Woohoo!  The magic of making decision to make booking!  Well done!  Sounds like a perfect itinerary to do on Cunard.

What are your ports of call?

Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Mauritius, Durban, Cape Town (overnight).

Plus 10 sea days.

It's not cheap, but a short enough segment of the world cruise to be affordable for me. I wanted a balcony cabin but there are actually some reasonable deals if you book twin share of an interior cabin, plus I got $US460 OBC and a lower deposit.

• Like 1