A couple of days short on Insurance.

5 hours ago, sandancer said:

Today I started checking with other insurers and have been quoted £4800 if worldwide is included. Our cruise is 35 nights and SS only cover 35 days. That means from midnight on the last night until we arrive in Southampton we will be uninsured. My head is telling me to be sensible but it’s such a short time. I am wondering if it’s possible to take out a policy that would just cover for a few days. Any suggestions?

So its only from midnight until you dock in Southampton.....6 hours at the most ? ...but will probably be less than that.....mmmm....think I could be tempted to risk it unless you could find a cheap cover for a couple of days. Have you asked SS what the extra cost would be  to extend for the few hours?

5 minutes ago, janny444 said:

So its only from midnight until you dock in Southampton.....6 hours at the most ? ...but will probably be less than that.....mmmm....think I could be tempted to risk it unless you could find a cheap cover for a couple of days. Have you asked SS what the extra cost would be  to extend for the few hours?

I certainly have but they don’t extend even for a few hours. It was the agent I spoke to who told me that other people have taken the chance. She said they don’t recommend it but said it was up to us. 

12 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I certainly have but they don’t extend even for a few hours. It was the agent I spoke to who told me that other people have taken the chance. She said they don’t recommend it but said it was up to us. 

What is your last port of call before you dock at Southampton ?

16 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Think it has been mentioned before but if you are still going to carry on cruising/holidaying abroad and maybe only need European cover take out another annual insurance that kicks in the day before your present insurance expires....just a thought

8 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Think it has been mentioned before but if you are still going to carry on cruising/holidaying abroad and maybe only need European cover take out another annual insurance that kicks in the day before your present insurance expires....just a thought

It is not that our insurance expires during the cruise. It is that our policy only allows 34 nights. Once we have our renewal quote we can make a decision. 

3 minutes ago, sandancer said:

It is not that our insurance expires during the cruise. It is that our policy only allows 34 nights. Once we have our renewal quote we can make a decision. 

Yes I understand....its 35 days but 34 nights 🙂 

On 8/1/2024 at 4:12 AM, molecrochip said:

Check the wording but usually annual policies cover trips started during the life of the policy - so you’d be fine.

I believe that is incorrect, but every policy wording is different and worth checking. 

On 8/5/2024 at 11:45 AM, sandancer said:

I am wondering if it’s possible to take out a policy that would just cover for a few days. Any suggestions?

With your situation and Indiaiana's problem when taking out a new policy for a few days

hit's the problem of .. You declare that your holiday has not started, amongst other things.

I had this problem a few years ago. 

The only real option would be to tick the auto renew box in those situations and 

take it from there.

On 8/5/2024 at 5:12 PM, sandancer said:

I'm not an expert, but  do wonder if their maximum duration is 34 nights and yours is longer, does that mean the extra few hours isn't covered, or the whole ,non compliant cruise ?.

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Just the last few hours 

In that case when you go to bed you will be insured and when you wake up you will be in Southampton. Sleep safely.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2024 at 11:45 AM, sandancer said:

Today I started checking with other insurers and have been quoted £4800 if worldwide is included. Our cruise is 35 nights and SS only cover 35 days. That means from midnight on the last night until we arrive in Southampton we will be uninsured. My head is telling me to be sensible but it’s such a short time. I am wondering if it’s possible to take out a policy that would just cover for a few days. Any suggestions?

I think I would risk that one!  It is possible to get one day insurance - I have done it in the past.  I don't know how they would view being on a ship but in effect you are in the UK surely when you are in the Channel/Southampton water? 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:57 PM, zap99 said:

I'm not an expert, but  do wonder if their maximum duration is 34 nights and yours is longer, does that mean the extra few hours isn't covered, or the whole ,non compliant cruise ?.

zapp99, I checked this the other day - you are covered for the maximum number of days allowed on the policy - then cover stops.

• Like 1