Children and Hot Tubs on HAL Ships/ are the rules enforced?

I think it's worse when a bunch of drunks take over the hot tubs and are very loud and obnoxious.  I've seen bartenders over serve these people and watch the show.  There is no monitoring by staff onboard.  They don't want confrontations.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2024 at 5:56 PM, slavetoabunny said:

I don't know about HAL, but we were on NCL last December and every single day the kids camp would take over one of the two hot tubs in the adult only area.  They monopolized it the entire day.  I told my husband he should just go hop in with them and see if they say anything, LOL!

On our first NCL cruise the camp kids with their counselors watching were diving into the pool despite a no diving rule.

On 8/6/2024 at 9:28 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's too young. Little kids (under 5 or 6) don't thermoregulate well and can become overheated quickly. Ditto for a lot of seniors with health issues. 

I guess if a senior is wearing a diaper they should not go in either.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I guess if a senior is wearing a diaper they should not go in either.

I try not to think about that. That's one of many reasons I don't go into hot tubs.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/7/2024 at 12:01 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I try not to think about that. That's one of many reasons I don't go into hot tubs.

I think I will opt out after all. 

On 8/3/2024 at 10:48 PM, bcummin said:

Our grandchildren loved the Lido pool on our family June 22 Eurodam Alaska cruise, especially during rough waters.  They were supervised by parents.  No need for Kids Club, because they had so many cousins.  🙂 

I saw peaceful hot tubs, usually with family adults.

Barbara 

Yes, We took our extended family on the Koningsdam to Alaska a few years ago. Everyone had a wonderful time, we still talk about it. All of our children were supervised and raised to behave in public. They know the consequences of not behaving- means they will not be allowed travel privileges in the future.  We continue to have great family vacations.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 9:44 PM, grannyshell said:

We sailed in June aboard Oosterdam with our 12 yo DGD. There were quite a few kids of all ages and I was pleasantly surprised to see all of them well behaved and supervised. The most noise around the Lido pool was from a group of adults playing ping pong.

What is "DGD"?

• Like 1

IMHO. I think a big part of the dissatisfaction with cruising comes down to people's behavior while on the ship. Much of this is not within the cruise company's control.  You may try to alleviate some of this by purchasing upgrades to distance yourself from the masses (THE CRUISE LINE EXEC'S ARE WELL AWARE OF THIS TACTIC AND ARE USING IT FOR PROFIT).

If you are willing to pay more, you may have a better cruise experience (in your opinion only, because the ones who ruin it for others will not change their behavior).

When so many people are occupying contained space for extended periods of time, rules must be communicated and enforced clearly. Sadly, this is not the case right now.

• Thanks 1

Only area I've seen the rules strictly enforced is the spa, where a mother was beside herself that they would not allow her two teenagers into the thermal suite, but nothing gets past those spa women, not when thousands of dollars in treatments are at stake.  

22 hours ago, bcummin said:

Dear Grand Daughter

Thanks, I had no idea!

Not a Facebook, Instagram, tik tok  guy so I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, shiner6 said:

IMHO. I think a big part of the dissatisfaction with cruising comes down to people's behavior while on the ship. Much of this is not within the cruise company's control.  You may try to alleviate some of this by purchasing upgrades to distance yourself from the masses (THE CRUISE LINE EXEC'S ARE WELL AWARE OF THIS TACTIC AND ARE USING IT FOR PROFIT).

If you are willing to pay more, you may have a better cruise experience (in your opinion only, because the ones who ruin it for others will not change their behavior).

When so many people are occupying contained space for extended periods of time, rules must be communicated and enforced clearly. Sadly, this is not the case right now.

Chair hogs, loud music, screaming kids, lack of shade (not all of this on HAL) are why I don't risk a cruise without a balcony. I want to know there will be somewhere that I can find fresh air and peace. 

• Like 3

We were on a back to back where the second week was over American Thanksgiving.

As Canadians our Thanksgiving is one day not one long week. Never again will we travel during that week again. 

400 boisterous youngsters flooded the ship the second week. What an eye opener.

The aft pool and hot tubs which were an adult haven of tranquility the first languorous week 

were transformed into a raucous, screaming outdoor maelstrom during the last 7 long days..

A ships officer standing by the aft bar was powerless under the on slot of high pitched noise.

The irony was while docked in Puerto Rico a large Carnival ship was ensconced next to us festooned with a roller coaster and rope climbing park.. 400 tearful faces were glued to this behemoth wondering why their parents stuck them on our ship of scooters and walkers when they could have been been shouting with joy on that floating amusement park!!

A lesson learned and a disaster never to be repeated!!

Bob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobpell54 said:

We were on a back to back where the second week was over American Thanksgiving.

As Canadians our Thanksgiving is one day not one long week. Never again will we travel during that week again. 

American Thanksgiving is also just one day.  Schools are not in session for only two days during Thanksgiving week, not the entire week.  Any children on that cruise may have been playing hookie.  As a dual-citizen, I celebrate both Canadian and American Thanksgiving, and I will be on a HAL ship this November for another Thanksgiving cruise.  I have done a few, and I don't remember excess children.  People's experiences differ, I guess.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kay S said:

American Thanksgiving is also just one day.  Schools are not in session for only two days during Thanksgiving week, not the entire week.  Any children on that cruise may have been playing hookie.  As a dual-citizen, I celebrate both Canadian and American Thanksgiving, and I will be on a HAL ship this November for another Thanksgiving cruise.  I have done a few, and I don't remember excess children.  People's experiences differ, I guess.

I think the B2B was the issue. Most were probably on only for one of the cruises. A longer itinerary likely would have been different.

We took a Volendam 18 day to Hawaii over American Thanksgiving and I think we saw about 5 children onboard. 
I have no interest in going in a hot tub regardless.

Edited by sunviking90

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

Schools are not in session for only two days during Thanksgiving week, not the entire week.

Here in the Bay Area schools are now off for the entire Thanksgiving week.  It's been that way for quite a few years.  Families now don't worry about needing to pull kids from class that week to go on the 7-day cruises, thus the very crowded cruises even on HAL.

~Nancy