First Oceania cruise

NJ Gal

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Specialty Reservations, whatever date yours open for booking, that means roughly 12:01 a.m. EST for you. Sometimes it isn’t exactly 12:01 but very close as we have been hung up getting to the booking site exactly at midnight EST.  If you wait until your normal wake up time that day, you will have missed some opportunities. If you can be flexible on table size and time, restaurants open at 6:30 p.m., you can be more successful, also whether you are willing to share a table with other guests can be of benefit. Like I said before, don’t waste a reservation on the first night. 
In a PH you are reserving 75 days ahead of sailing so the only people who can book ahead of you are in the Super Suites; Owners, Vista and Oceania Suites. Your opportunities abound 👍🤪🤞. You should have no problem getting your allocation of Specialties and then some, your Butler has “Friends” and they know their success means better gratuities in the end 😇👍. Since you will meet many veteran O cruisers on board, normal is 60% Repeaters, you never know who might invite you to dinner. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Just to be clear…that means that here in NorCal, I can book at 9:01 pm the night before?

4 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

…that means that here in NorCal, I can book at 9:01 pm the night before?

Yep, here in the Midwest wife calls right after 2300 hours. Central time. 

• Like 1

@MEFIowa

All Specialty reservations are based on Availability and everyone has access to those reservations. When there are openings on any given night and time, it is possible to request an extra reservation. I did not mean to imply anything negative nor that we were inappropriately paying for access.  Any gratuities shared with staff is meant to say Thank You for a wonderful cruise experience. We realize they all work very hard under sometimes difficult conditions, I recall our Room Steward who had to clean up our Bathroom, TWICE, because a guest down the way had flushed a washcloth down the toilet and our toilet backed up and flooded our bathroom. 
We really enjoy our Oceania family and we try to meet and get to know the staff on board. We have been blessed to be tracked down on board by a Butler who had served us in 2017 and remembered us. A Room Steward who tracked us down at a tour event as she was on board on her Honeymoon as a passenger and remembered us from a Baltic trip several years prior. Or a Butler from another O ship tracking us down in Key West to just say hello while we were walking around town with guests from our ship, what a surprise. We just enjoy making friends of the staff AND the other guests. 
Sorry if there was any unintended misunderstanding. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

@FolsomMike And when we have been on vacation in Hawaii on that magic day, it was a mere 6:00 p.m. I just notate my Calendar and up pops my reminder the day prior so I don’t forget to log on. 
I can say I have encountered a booking glitch or two so I use  the TA to use their O contacts to fix a reservation problem that I may have created the night before. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though an implication here is that what the "your Butler has Friends" provides comes at the expense of the G-B cabin passengers. I fail to see much positive if one class gets to screw over another contra the rules on reservations. No problem with them getting up front what is per the rules, but not if the rules are violated to favor them. And it must be why we're reading about "tips" paid to staff to reserve pool lounges/chaises in violation of O's published claims to the contrary, forbidden such reservations.

It’s “per rules” having a Butler in PH and above. They are there for the reason. One of their tasks is checking availability for additional reservations at specialty restaurants for their guests. These reservations are “first come first served” and it’s not a surprise that some times Butlers come first. Sorry if you still think that not everything is fair in life all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

...   Any gratuities shared with staff is meant to say Thank You for a wonderful cruise experience. We realize they all work very hard under sometimes difficult condition ... We really enjoy our Oceania family and we try to meet and get to know the staff on board. ... A Room Steward who tracked us down at a tour event as she was on board on her Honeymoon as a passenger and remembered us from a Baltic trip several years prior.  We just enjoy making friends of the staff AND the other guests....

Yes, we try hard to meet and get to know the O crew & staff, and even the contractors in the boutiques. Ran into our Room Steward from our 1st cruise on 12/2021 on Riviera on Sirena 11/2022. We instantly recognized each other, shook hands, and talked about things. (He was on Deck 4 getting ready to return to India at the end of the cruise.) We've always added our own additional gratuity to the Room Steward and Cabin Attendant each cruise. I've enjoyed having lunch with one of the Jewelry staff and walked the fitness track with a very tall man from Belarus, a boutique employee, a couple times. It is fascinating what they have to say about life on board.

3 minutes ago, osandomir said:

It’s “per rules” having a Butler in PH and above. They are there for the reason. One of their tasks is checking availability for additional reservations at specialty restaurants for their guests. These reservations are “first come first served” and it’s not a surprise that some times Butlers come first....

That's not the issue, for that is the rules and I'm OK with that. And that wasn't explicitly set forth in the post I was commenting on. The implication was different. We all should KNOW about checking the dinner reservation early if we want to try to add a reservation that evening.

This is just my opinion, but I really think so many cruisers are wrapped up in getting reservations for a specialty restaurant.  Personally, I don't think they are that more special from the food you can get at the dining room.  So much angst is put into getting a reservation.  We never call at midnight. We call two or three days later, and we get a table at all the specialties available on our cruise.  If it's Marina or Riveria we don't particularly care for the food at Jaques, so we leave that reservation for others who do like it.  We do like to eat about 8:00 and prefer to share a table so I know that is why it's so easy for us to get a table.

On our last cruise on Nautica a couple of weeks ago the food at Toscano was really good.  The food in Polo was meh.  My husband said the lamb chops in the dining room were just as good as what he got there, and my French Onion Soup was awful.  The cheese on top wasn't melty but grainy.  I let my husband taste it and he agreed it was really bad.  I would have complained but we were having dinner with another couple and really enjoying ourselves, so I let it go.  I only took a few bites, and I wondered why the waiter didn't ask what the matter was when I sent it back.  But it doesn't matter.  My entree was fine and after dessert I sure didn't go to bed hungry.

I really think getting a specialty restaurant is not so much about having good food but the status of having a reservation.  So many talking about their reservation that night.  If that's what makes them happy, so be it but I like the relaxation of not having to worry about my reservation.  I like eating when I want to.  And we've never had a problem making an extra reservation once on board.  Again, that might be because the times we prefer, and we do like to share a table. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Daniel A Now you see the comparisons based on other brands and categories be both have cruised. Your questions were my questions before I sailed.  A couple of clarifications based on both our past experiences:

Making your initial Specialty Restaurant Reservations:  Go on line, to the specially restaurant reservation section and see the earliest you can make your reservations to get the date and time you want. Just because we all have one guaranteed reservation for each specialty restaurant it does not mean the restaurant won't fill up quick. 

Embarkment Day:  That hint from an above poster is dead on.  For what ever reason, the first night has open reservations.  This added to Penthouse and above have access to earlier boarding then other staterooms, snag that reservation before you do anything else.  

Penthouse and Above Butler Service:  Your example is polo grill.  As nice as eating in you suite is, it is always a better experience in the restaurant.  Try it once and let us know your feelings.  

Coffee for Breakfast:  May I suggest if you like coffee to get a cup from the Barista then go to breakfast.  Much better coffee at the Barista and not dining venue has an issue with that. 

Realistic Expectations:  Just because a guest is in a Penthouse or above, does not guaranteed they will get a restaurant reservation the day and time they want once they get on the ship.  Their odds are higher but know that it does not always happen.  The higher the category of suite, the higher the chances.  I know this because I had a very interesting conversation with my butler off the record. Nothing new about this benefit.  All that said, this system is SO much better then I was was used to in the past. 

Outdoor Spa Sundeck in the Front of the Ship:  Not sure the ship you are on but the bigger ones have this area which is complementary to Penthouse and above.  Bring your own drink, this area is my favorite place on the ship on a nice day. 

Complementary Laundry Service/Pressing:  There are rules and time frames.  Don't miss out.  Ask your butler and take FULL advantage of this great amenity.  This is for Concierge level and above and with Concierge level it is done by room steward. 

Since this is your first venture into Oceania, I will attach a document I wrote.  FAQ for Oceania. Some of the items may have changed with Oceania when to the "Simply More" program.  However, the main content should be interesting, Enjoy. 

Oceania_Cruises_FAQ.pdf 378.47 kB · 288 downloads

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Gary, Where would I find your article on Celebrity Retreat?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, travelfreelasvegas said:

Gary, Where would I find your article on Celebrity Retreat?

@travelfreelasvegas I never did an article on Celebrity Retreat.  I did the original "Secrets of the Haven Luxury Experience" in 2019.  Followed by the "Secrets of the Haven Luxury Experience" updated 2022.  Sorry for any misunderstandings. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

18 minutes ago, travelfreelasvegas said:

Outdoor Spa Sundeck in the Front of the Ship:  Not sure the ship you are on but the bigger ones have this area which is complementary to Penthouse and above.  Bring your own drink, this area is my favorite place on the ship on a nice day. 

Gary, this area is open to Concierge and above.

Terri

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I really think getting a specialty restaurant is not so much about having good food but the status of having a reservation.

At least for me (& us) it's not.   I completely agree that the non-specialty dining options are also good options, but we really enjoyed Red Ginger.   

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

I'm no expert, with but one O cruise under my belt, but ... we sailed last year.   

a) others had different experiences, but we never could get good wifi.   Even when having a coffee.   We watched others FaceTime, while we never could.   Hopefully that is a one off -- or they improved the link capacity since then given all the starlink services going onboard cruise ships these days.

I don't if you talked to them, but they might have purchased the upgraded internet. It's not any faster, but it unlocks the streaming, which is probably what Facetime works best with. But I've heard others say that they've used Facetime with the standard internet. 

6 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Thank you-I’ve got the date on my calendar for when I can book specialty reservations, and I will definitely try to make a few for our 18 night cruise. Thanks to everyone for helping out. We are looking forward to trying Oceania for the first time. we have previously cruised as Amira and the two are often compared.

Looks like you'll get 3 reservations in each Restaurant, so you'll have 6 total. You'll be able to book them at 60 days out, which gets you 15 days ahead of the bulk of the ship. With 6 reservations you might need to be a little flexible on times, especially if you want 2 tops. If you are willing to share for those nights then it opens up many more options on the times available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iowananny said:

Personally, I don't think they are that more special from the food you can get at the dining room. 

I agree. I enjoy the GDR. Yes, the specialities are generally somewhat better but only Toscana would meet my "holiday restaurant challenge" - if this was a restaurant near home, would I become a regular. And it really only meets it because we're becoming a bit disenchanted with the Italian place we go to regularly. But, on the other side of that coin, I don't think we'll make a reservation for Red Ginger on the next trip. We've found it quite disappointing both times we've eaten there (Marina & Vista). 

1 hour ago, iowananny said:

I really think getting a specialty restaurant is not so much about having good food but the status of having a reservation.  So many talking about their reservation that night.  If that's what makes them happy, so be it

I tend to agree with you.  I won't be able to do a reservation until next week, but I don't think my cruise will be ruined if I have to eat a little later and also share a table.  Reading all these posts about reservations hierarchy is kind of off-putting (to me.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

I tend to agree with you.  I won't be able to do a reservation until next week, but I don't think my cruise will be ruined if I have to eat a little later and also share a table.  Reading all these posts about reservations hierarchy is kind of off-putting (to me.)

I'll just say:  we had to do the same and it worked out -- we went four times on our 18 day cruise.   Don't let this be your deciding factor.   take a look online for sample MDR and buffet choices - the only caveat I have:   we went in with super high expectations due to "finest cuisine at sea".   Due to that we were let down from time-to-time.   But by no means was the food bad.   Even if you don't do speciality dining.   And as I said earlier - just check in at dinner time to see if there are openings, as often there are. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On a previous post, (possibly on a different thread), I was left with the impression that OBC on Oceania isn't refundable.  I can understand some OBC is nonrefundable, such as shareholder OBC, but I have more than $500 in OBC from my TA.  If I don't spend that, will I get that money refunded?

TIA

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

On a previous post, (possibly on a different thread), I was left with the impression that OBC on Oceania isn't refundable.  I can understand some OBC is nonrefundable, such as shareholder OBC, but I have more than $500 in OBC from my TA.  If I don't spend that, will I get that money refunded?

TIA

OBC from your TA is refundable . It’s only ship and/or status provided OBC that is not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On our recent Vista cruise, we had both kinds of OBC. We originally had our Simply More excursion credits and then we had refundable OBC from our travel agent. We had paid for extra excursions, so we had used our Simply More credits and paid for the additional amount with a credit card to get the 25% discount before the cruise. When several of our excursions were canceled while we were on board, the extra money (above the $300 per person Simply More credit) we had paid was refunded to our onboard account, not back to our credit card.

Once the gratuities had been deducted from that amount, we had several hundred dollars of refundable credit to use. There wasn't anything we wanted to spend it on so we went to reception to get it refunded. We were told that the amount would either be refunded to our credit card at  the end of the cruise or sent back to our TA so it could be refunded to us - the person at the desk couldn't tell us what would happen. Unfortunately, we went the night before the official letter was sent to tell you it was ok to get your refund, and we were told that unless we had the letter there was a service fee to get our credit back in cash. I find that to be a very strange policy.

The next morning, letter in hand, we went down to reception and were able to withdraw the money in cash. I would have prefered to get it refunded to the credit card, but I didn't want the delay of it going to the TA and maybe getting it weeks later.

We also had a port cancellation on the last day and the port fees were refunded to the account, so we went and withdrew that in cash also.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lorimay said:

On our recent Vista cruise, we had both kinds of OBC. We originally had our Simply More excursion credits and then we had refundable OBC from our travel agent. We had paid for extra excursions, so we had used our Simply More credits and paid for the additional amount with a credit card to get the 25% discount before the cruise. When several of our excursions were canceled while we were on board, the extra money (above the $300 per person Simply More credit) we had paid was refunded to our onboard account, not back to our credit card.

Once the gratuities had been deducted from that amount, we had several hundred dollars of refundable credit to use. There wasn't anything we wanted to spend it on so we went to reception to get it refunded. We were told that the amount would either be refunded to our credit card at  the end of the cruise or sent back to our TA so it could be refunded to us - the person at the desk couldn't tell us what would happen. Unfortunately, we went the night before the official letter was sent to tell you it was ok to get your refund, and we were told that unless we had the letter there was a service fee to get our credit back in cash. I find that to be a very strange policy.

The next morning, letter in hand, we went down to reception and were able to withdraw the money in cash. I would have prefered to get it refunded to the credit card, but I didn't want the delay of it going to the TA and maybe getting it weeks later.

We also had a port cancellation on the last day and the port fees were refunded to the account, so we went and withdrew that in cash also.

So, I would need to collect my refundable OBC while I'm still onboard?  (If I don't want it being routed to me through my TA?)

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So, I would need to collect my refundable OBC while I'm still onboard?  (If I don't want it being routed to me through my TA?)

I have a TA, but the refund came directly to me. It was in the form of a paper check though...maybe because I paid for the cruise with one card (the one with travel insurance) and registered a different card for online payments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorimay said:

Have always requested cash refund of OBC, from desk, after letter received.  Did not have any fee to pay.  Is fee something new?

I think she mentioned the fee because we were there before we had officially received the letter. Although it was waiting at our cabin when we went there an hour later. I think we jumped the gun by a few hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1