Tipping

SipeShape

10 minutes ago, trbarton said:

A agree & since I’m usually at the same table/waitstaff for dinner each night, on the last night, I give the waiter & assistant waiter something. It has nothing to do what they get from the ship. 

I also hand something to the stateroom steward at the end of the cruise. 

Tom😁

And my favorite bartenders. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

From a country that doesn't understand the tipping culture - we find it's great that Princess simplify it and simply charge us a pre-paid amount added to our bill.. and then we don't have to think about it again. Let's not over complicate it.. 😆.

Exactly. Pay up front and relax without carrying dollars around.

8 hours ago, tserface said:

With bartenders I always give $1 or $2 extra per drink.  They always seem to appreciate it.  I know the gratuity is built in, but it's an easy gesture and easy enough to care a few $1's in your pocket each day.

I am sure anyone would appreciate receiving $1 or $2 extra per drink, for simply doing the job they are paid to do!! I know I would 😀.

8 hours ago, tserface said:
4 hours ago, memoak said:

If you only pay the CA you are tipping way way below 15.% for all your meals. And 15% is well below the norm in the states especially in LA

I don't understand the relevance of this 😕.

Princess have made this simple by setting an amount that is to cover on board gratuities. I cannot believe I am reading yet another 'tipping' thread - but I can't help it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, enjoysailing said:

Exactly. Pay up front and relax without carrying dollars around.

I am sure anyone would appreciate receiving $1 or $2 extra per drink, for simply doing the job they are paid to do!! I know I would 😀.

Princess have made this simple by setting an amount that is to cover on board gratuities. I cannot believe I am reading yet another 'tipping' thread - but I can't help it. 

You've quoted that many people in just one post.. that nobody can work out who you're replying to and what you're trying to say.. haha

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

You've quoted that many people in just one post.. that nobody can work out who you're replying to and what you're trying to say.. haha

That's really odd, and I apologise.

But, the post I see, that I wrote, is set out very differently to the one you quoted!! It shows the original quotes along with the person that wrote it, and also the time it was written. Each one followed by my comment.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

I can see each reply to each quote and know exactly what enjoysailing is saying. Not sure what you are seeing.

And I agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I can see each reply to each quote and know exactly what enjoysailing is saying. Not sure what you are seeing.

And I agree.

I'm just seeing a jumbled mess.. 🤣

3 minutes ago, laslomas said:

And I agree.

And which one of the 4 quotes are you agreeing with.. haha

21 minutes ago, enjoysailing said:

I agree.

I wish my customers would tip me when they place an order with my company. Instead, all the profit goes to my Boss, but I am still happy working for him.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

This may help - what I posted, and see, and in my opinion not a jumbled mess.. I wonder if it makes a difference how you are viewing Cruise Critic. On my laptop and Android phone it is fine.

Screenshot(39).thumb.png.e66b69fc162962ffc0ca6a975b8039ee.png

16 minutes ago, enjoysailing said:

This may help - what I posted, and see, and in my opinion not a jumbled mess.. I wonder if it makes a difference how you are viewing Cruise Critic. On my laptop and Android phone it is fine.

Screenshot(39).thumb.png.e66b69fc162962ffc0ca6a975b8039ee.png

That's a mess lol. You've quoted me.. then tserface twice.. then memoak.. then chucked in a post of yours. 

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I can see the quotes and subsequent replies correctly, it must be an issue at your end. Have you turned quotes off?

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I was referring to tipping whether through cash tips or CA. Wait folk on ship or on land in US do not get a large salary 

Out of interest what are the salaries for cruise ship employees?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I was referring to tipping whether through cash tips or CA. Wait folk on ship or on land in US do not get a large salary 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Boku said:

It's hard to make comparisons to land based jobs. It varies by job title and experience, of course. But also by county of origin. Some countries tax on maritime income and some don't.  

I got to know the night shift guy in the IC on one cruise. He told me for his job classification, he makes US$1k/mo working his contract out of India.  Two contracts a year with two months off in between. He pays no tax on income to India. He said someone in his position contracted from the US would make $5k/mo. In the US, the income is taxable. Room and board are included as is medical care while onboard. On another cruise, a steward told me they pay for internet.

I am relating what I was told, two guys just chatting at 4 or 5 AM before things got busy. It is not from reading bona fide Princess job pay scales or job postings.

Musician, CD, engineering and bridge officer salaries are not in the tipping pool AFAIK, but those can be looked up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In the UK we have a minimum wage where anyone over 21 gets £11.44 (2024 rate) per hour, approx $14.60, irrespective of the industry they work in. This is why a lot of UK citizens don’t tip like Americans do.

Edited by Boku
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

If you only pay the CA you are tipping way way below 15.% for all your meals. And 15% is well below the norm in the states especially in LA

5 hours ago, enjoysailing said:

I think that the point being made is that if you add up the total cost/value of the food, beverages and housekeeping you are receiving each day and view that through the 15%-18% lens, you will see that the automatic CA doesn't come close to meeting that mark.  That assumes that one views a stay in a cabin and meals in the ship's dining venues to be the functional equivalent of staying in a hotel in a city and eating out in restaurants.   

14 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I think that the point being made is that if you add up the total cost/value of the food, beverages and housekeeping you are receiving each day and view that through the 15%-18% lens, you will see that the automatic CA doesn't come close to meeting that mark.  That assumes that one views a stay in a cabin and meals in the ship's dining venues to be the functional equivalent of staying in a hotel in a city and eating out in restaurants.   

$90 per person per day of services @ .18 = $16.20

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$90 per person per day of services @ .18 = $16.20

$90 is a bit light for a full day on a ship at "vacation" prices (as opposed to "my home town" prices.)

Breakfast = $12

Lunch = $20

Dinner (App = $12; Entrée = $24; Dessert = $8) = $44

Coffee = $5

Non-Alcoholic Beverage = $4

Alcoholic Beverages = $25**

Total = $110

18% = $19.80.  Add in $3 per day for housekeeping and you get to $22.80.

**Given the 15 drink inclusion with the Packages, $25 is probably way below what many (most?) people with Packages consume in a typical day.  It may be representative of what people without packages spend.  But I am would bet that for guests with Packages, the $110 per day can easily get up to $140.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, memoak said:

Actually I'm paying much more in reserve class for the same menu. At $60- $125 pp pd I'm paying for an elevated service not elevated food so I've over paid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Actually I'm paying much more in reserve class for the same menu. At $60- $125 pp pd I'm paying for an elevated service not elevated food so I've over paid.

cabin location - whether important to you or not ...

the 'extra' food selection

what else?

not sure we would ever specifically book reserve class 

• Like 1

As long as people pay the normal Crew Appreciation that is automatically added to your folio, I believe that the decision to tip extra is entirely up to each individual with no shame. I tip extra but don't chastise others who don't.

On a recent tipping thread, a poster stated that he was adamantly opposed to tipping extra, then went on to say that his cabin steward did an excellent job, so he tipped him $250.00. 🙀

A bit over the top!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Teechur said:

As long as people pay the normal Crew Appreciation that is automatically added to your folio, I believe that the decision to tip extra is entirely up to each individual with no shame. I tip extra but don't chastise others who don't.

On a recent tipping thread, a poster stated that he was adamantly opposed to tipping extra, then went on to say that his cabin steward did an excellent job, so he tipped him $250.00. 🙀

A bit over the top!

It’s not the ones who don’t want to tip extra that is perfectly alright. It is the people who pull the CA because they claim not to believe in tipping who bug me

• Like 5
  • Haha 2