Eurodam True Aft (wake view) rooms advice

xenna

Hello.  I was wondering if I could get some advice or just general information on the true aft rooms on the Eurodam.  I am going to Alaska next May on the Eurodam.  I have cruised many times but never on Holland nor have I ever stayed in the back aft rooms.  Upon reading many post on here I think I may want to see how this room is.  I have read the views are just amazing in these types of rooms if cruising to Alaska.  So a few questions.

1.  Do the balconies have full cover?  I have tried to find up close pictures of the back from the sides and straight on and it seems like it sort of steps in with each deck height.  Then some pictures look like the back of the ship is not angled but straight.   Will people be looking down on me?  If or I should say when it rains will I still be able to sit out there?

2. I am looking at deck 4.  All of deck 8 aft rooms are already booked.  I have read about how awesome it is to be close to the water on deck 4.  Has anyone stayed on this deck and did you like it?  

I really appreciate any advice anyone has for me.  Like I said this is my first time on Holland and I am super excited to be on this ship.  I have read through many posts and did a search with the search bar and I am not getting a lot of information that I need.  I am sure this is user error. LOL.

Posted (edited)

You will love the NS aft wrap cabins.  The views are amazing and the space is wonderful.  We were on the Oosterdam for 3 weeks on deck 8 and avoided deck 4 because of the window washing machinery that was in your view.  This may not be the case on the Eurodam but see if you can find a recent photo of the aft of the ship.  Aft photos of the Oosterdam this summer still show the window washing machinery in the view of aft cabins.  On some ships aft cabins on deck 5 are almost totally covered.  There are posts everyday of ships that are in Alaskan ports.  You might check and see if you can get a good view of the aft of the Eurodam on one of these.  What a great cruise you and your friend will have.  Cherie.   P.S.  just googled aft view photos of Eurodam.  It looks like the window washing machinery is on the side of the aft wrap suites, not on the very aft like Oosterdam.

Edited by cccole

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@cccole, I am not getting that the OP is asking about Neptune Suites.

You are so right!!!!  I thought I saw aft corner in the thread.  Sorry for responding incorrectly.  Cherie

Yes not the Neptune Suites.  Well, not this time anyways. LOL.  Thank you for that advice for the future. What do you mean about looking at a post of ships in Alaska ports to see if I can see the back of the Eurodam?  Do you mean on webcams or looking at a particular forum thread here on this site?

@Crew News Roger, you are probably one of the most experienced aft cabin gurus for Alaska cruises!  Any comments to help the OP?  I know you have discussed the balcony coverage question before.

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, xenna said:

Yes not the Neptune Suites.  Well, not this time anyways. LOL.  Thank you for that advice for the future. What do you mean about looking at a post of ships in Alaska ports to see if I can see the back of the Eurodam?  Do you mean on webcams or looking at a particular forum thread here on this site?

There is usually a daily thread on the HAL forum about ships in Alaskan ports and you can see them in port.  Today there is a thread "Nieuw Amstedam in Juneau on August 8".   I think the Eurodam may be in Europe now though.  But google aft photos of the Holland America Eurodam and you will see lots of photos.  And some people love the shade of Deck 5 aft cabins but I love the sun.  On Deck 8 there was shade if we wanted it but also sun.  JMO.   Cherie

Edited by cccole

Xenna - On August 5, the Eurodam was in Juneau.  Not sure if you can see the webcam for Juneau for the 5th.  But there is commentary re the Eurodam on that thread.  Cherie

1 hour ago, xenna said:

Hello.  I was wondering if I could get some advice or just general information on the true aft rooms on the Eurodam.  I am going to Alaska next May on the Eurodam.  I have cruised many times but never on Holland nor have I ever stayed in the back aft rooms.  Upon reading many post on here I think I may want to see how this room is.  I have read the views are just amazing in these types of rooms if cruising to Alaska.  So a few questions.

1.  Do the balconies have full cover?  I have tried to find up close pictures of the back from the sides and straight on and it seems like it sort of steps in with each deck height.  Then some pictures look like the back of the ship is not angled but straight.   Will people be looking down on me?  If or I should say when it rains will I still be able to sit out there?

2. I am looking at deck 4.  All of deck 8 aft rooms are already booked.  I have read about how awesome it is to be close to the water on deck 4.  Has anyone stayed on this deck and did you like it?  

I really appreciate any advice anyone has for me.  Like I said this is my first time on Holland and I am super excited to be on this ship.  I have read through many posts and did a search with the search bar and I am not getting a lot of information that I need.  I am sure this is user error. LOL.

With the exception of a handful of HAL cruises, I sail exclusively in aft staterooms.  Prior to 2016, i sailed in aft-corner Neptune Suites.  Now as a solo traveler I prefer Decks 5,6, or 7 as all are surrounded by non-public areas that can be noisy  while I am sleeping.  On the latter subject, the sound of the wake provides the most soothing sleep I have ever experienced.

1.  The balconies are sightly staggered.  If you stand at the balcony railing,those above can see you.

2.  Since I stay only on decks surrounded by sleeping rooms, I cannot comment on Decks 4 or 8.

Aft-facing staterooms in Alaska are ideal for seeing/photographing the scenery on both sides of the ship without having to leave your stateroom, even while you're still wearing your pajamas.  In addition, you can enjoy your balcony while the ship is moving as there is no wind or rain. 

Aft-facing staterooms are just a short elevator ride to the Lido Market Buffet and the Main Dining Room.  The Room Service kitchen is a short elevator ride up which means your hot food will be hot while those in the front of the ship will not.

There is a USB-A port at each bedside that are not fast charging.

Some random tips for first time HAL cruisers;

• Your Room Steward can remove the contents of your minibar so that you can use for your own items.  Gallon-size Ziploc bags hold a saucer of sliced cheese from the Lido Market Buffet.
  • The Room Service Breakfast card that you hang on your door the night before allows write-in items such as: bran muffins,
  • There is a free late snack served at 10:30 PM if you want a little something before bed.
  • The port time listed on your itinerary is the time that the first passengers can leave the ship which means you need to be on your balcony an hour before to get photos of the scenery.
  • You can enjoy Glacier Bar from your mostly-covered balcony and avoid the crowds at the public railings.
  • Book any excursions that include flights ASAP as seats are limited.
  • You can order from the Main Dining Room menu and eat in your stateroom/balcony.
  • Complimentary coffee and tea are available in the Lido Market 24/7.
  • Only a few of the 24/7 Room Service Menu items have a charge.

Make sure you join your roll call and keep asking questions to help in your planning.

There is link in the lower right corner of my signature with lots of menus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, xenna said:

Hi xenna,

My name is Leanne, and I do a sail in/sail away thread for Juneau in the summer and for Fort Lauderdale in the winter.

The Eurodam sails in with the Koningsdam every Monday, but she always docks with her aft away from the camera.  Her sister ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam docks aft to the camera.  if you look at this thread, you will be able to get a good port side photo: 

If you look at post #21, you will see how the aft is tiered.  There will be protection for you.  Also, in the sail in threads, there is a link to the Juneau Webcam.

Enjoy your cruise....I just got back from Alaska a month ago, and was on the Koningsdam.  It was a fabulous cruise!

L.

• Like 1

Welcome to HAL!

In AK, we prefer the lower decks to get as close as possible to the water. Yes, there is an ability for those above to see part of the deck below, but it's not the full deck - we sit back closer to the door so only when we're standing at the rail would we be visible. 

Since we consider the aft cabins to be the best location, we'll take any deck if our preferred deck isn't available.

We do enjoy the views from Exploration Central when going through Glacier Bay. It's a walk from the aft cabin, but it's worth it for another perspective. 

These are from the Eurodam last May.

20230502_115751.thumb.jpg.c54da4612483e3d35c905471d03f38fd.jpg

20230502_101013.thumb.jpg.cd1214bbe5d0f8279d5034e03400a770.jpg

20230502_111004.thumb.jpg.9ed020377ad009169e2ce03879e588e0.jpg

20230502_120244.thumb.jpg.52e50d3286948593e32518642cd5c5fb.jpg

And, of course, the Dutch Pea Soup that's served that day.

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.211995d60d6be4fbe252987d40874fca.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, julia said:

@xenna  If you find ANY available aft balconies on an Alaskan cruise, grab it immediately!  

Lol.  I probably will after reading the responses that I have received.

• Like 1

@cccole.  Thank you for all of the tips and information.  I will look into all of your suggestions today. I love looking at webcams and did not think about this.  This is very helpful. 

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

With the exception of a handful of HAL cruises, I sail exclusively in aft staterooms.  Prior to 2016, i sailed in aft-corner Neptune Suites.  Now as a solo traveler I prefer Decks 5,6, or 7 as all are surrounded by non-public areas that can be noisy  while I am sleeping.  On the latter subject, the sound of the wake provides the most soothing sleep I have ever experienced.

1.  The balconies are sightly staggered.  If you stand at the balcony railing,those above can see you.

2.  Since I stay only on decks surrounded by sleeping rooms, I cannot comment on Decks 4 or 8.

Aft-facing staterooms in Alaska are ideal for seeing/photographing the scenery on both sides of the ship without having to leave your stateroom, even while you're still wearing your pajamas.  In addition, you can enjoy your balcony while the ship is moving as there is no wind or rain. 

Aft-facing staterooms are just a short elevator ride to the Lido Market Buffet and the Main Dining Room.  The Room Service kitchen is a short elevator ride up which means your hot food will be hot while those in the front of the ship will not.

There is a USB-A port at each bedside that are not fast charging.

Some random tips for first time HAL cruisers;

• Your Room Steward can remove the contents of your minibar so that you can use for your own items.  Gallon-size Ziploc bags hold a saucer of sliced cheese from the Lido Market Buffet.
  • The Room Service Breakfast card that you hang on your door the night before allows write-in items such as: bran muffins,
  • There is a free late snack served at 10:30 PM if you want a little something before bed.
  • The port time listed on your itinerary is the time that the first passengers can leave the ship which means you need to be on your balcony an hour before to get photos of the scenery.
  • You can enjoy Glacier Bar from your mostly-covered balcony and avoid the crowds at the public railings.
  • Book any excursions that include flights ASAP as seats are limited.
  • You can order from the Main Dining Room menu and eat in your stateroom/balcony.
  • Complimentary coffee and tea are available in the Lido Market 24/7.
  • Only a few of the 24/7 Room Service Menu items have a charge.

Make sure you join your roll call and keep asking questions to help in your planning.

There is link in the lower right corner of my signature with lots of menus.

Wow.  Thank you for all this detailed information. I had no idea about the roll call thread.  This is so helpful.  I really appreciate your time in posting all of this information. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leerathje said:

Hi xenna,

My name is Leanne, and I do a sail in/sail away thread for Juneau in the summer and for Fort Lauderdale in the winter.

The Eurodam sails in with the Koningsdam every Monday, but she always docks with her aft away from the camera.  Her sister ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam docks aft to the camera.  if you look at this thread, you will be able to get a good port side photo: 

If you look at post #21, you will see how the aft is tiered.  There will be protection for you.  Also, in the sail in threads, there is a link to the Juneau Webcam.

Enjoy your cruise....I just got back from Alaska a month ago, and was on the Koningsdam.  It was a fabulous cruise!

L.

Thank you for the advice. I have booked marked the thread that you mentioned and I will now watch the webcam site.  

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome to HAL!

In AK, we prefer the lower decks to get as close as possible to the water. Yes, there is an ability for those above to see part of the deck below, but it's not the full deck - we sit back closer to the door so only when we're standing at the rail would we be visible. 

Since we consider the aft cabins to be the best location, we'll take any deck if our preferred deck isn't available.

We do enjoy the views from Exploration Central when going through Glacier Bay. It's a walk from the aft cabin, but it's worth it for another perspective. 

These are from the Eurodam last May.

20230502_115751.thumb.jpg.c54da4612483e3d35c905471d03f38fd.jpg

20230502_101013.thumb.jpg.cd1214bbe5d0f8279d5034e03400a770.jpg

20230502_111004.thumb.jpg.9ed020377ad009169e2ce03879e588e0.jpg

20230502_120244.thumb.jpg.52e50d3286948593e32518642cd5c5fb.jpg

And, of course, the Dutch Pea Soup that's served that day.

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.211995d60d6be4fbe252987d40874fca.jpg

Thank you for the pictures.  I think that I would like the room that is near the water.  That would be deck 4.  I am going to book this weekend so I hope that there are some left.  If not then hopefully a few are still left on any deck in the back at this point.

Now without making it too complicated have you considered Club Orange? It looks as though you want a VB cabin. If they are available and C.O. Is available (you have to check this as it is limited) Then you can book and pay for a veranda guarantee plus the costs for C.O. which is shown below and choose your own (more expensive) VB cabin.

Sounds complicated I know and you have to do the maths if it is worth it for you, in our case paying the extra for C.O. was cheaper and we got a few extra perks.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

3 hours ago, xenna said:

Thank you for the pictures.  I think that I would like the room that is near the water.  That would be deck 4.  I am going to book this weekend so I hope that there are some left.  If not then hopefully a few are still left on any deck in the back at this point.

I'm excited for you!! We have been blessed to have whales join us for breakfast, watch a mama bear teaching her 3 cubs to fish, and watch otters play all from the comfort of an aft cabin.

No wildlife in these pictures (they're all on my computer now), but these are some deck 4 and deck aft views.

20231101_163908.thumb.jpg.caafcb49c0d528138adff8fe61616fdc.jpg

20231101_054459.thumb.jpg.2776a77cee3c495700a84740e5c9a112.jpg

20231101_054449.thumb.jpg.b02ae8c8edf9f7dc3b77c0dd49d95fc6.jpg

20231031_061044.thumb.jpg.9d2e44a0f3d9fb1f305160acea07ee78.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm excited for you!! We have been blessed to have whales join us for breakfast, watch a mama bear teaching her 3 cubs to fish, and watch otters play all from the comfort of an aft cabin.

No wildlife in these pictures (they're all on my computer now), but these are some deck 4 and deck aft views.

20231101_163908.thumb.jpg.caafcb49c0d528138adff8fe61616fdc.jpg

20231101_054459.thumb.jpg.2776a77cee3c495700a84740e5c9a112.jpg

20231101_054449.thumb.jpg.b02ae8c8edf9f7dc3b77c0dd49d95fc6.jpg

20231031_061044.thumb.jpg.9d2e44a0f3d9fb1f305160acea07ee78.jpg

Oh wow!! That looks amazing!  I will let you know if I am able to get a back aft room.  I can't book until tomorrow evening so hopefully some of the rooms will be available still.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Now without making it too complicated have you considered Club Orange? It looks as though you want a VB cabin. If they are available and C.O. Is available (you have to check this as it is limited) Then you can book and pay for a veranda guarantee plus the costs for C.O. which is shown below and choose your own (more expensive) VB cabin.

Sounds complicated I know and you have to do the maths if it is worth it for you, in our case paying the extra for C.O. was cheaper and we got a few extra perks.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

I will read up on that and do some math to see how it turns out. Thank you for the suggestion.

And bring a cheap baby monitor set up…..lets you turn your room TV to the TV channel giving explanation/ commentary  about what you are seeing and you (on the balcony) can actually hear it!  

I’ve been on CC for years, but this one tip made it for me! Spent several cruises frustrated…could hear commentary in room but couldn’t see, or could see without hearing commentary.  A baby monitor solved the problem.

Barbara M. In NH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Avery's Gram said:

And bring a cheap baby monitor set up…..lets you turn your room TV to the TV channel giving explanation/ commentary  about what you are seeing and you (on the balcony) can actually hear it!  

I’ve been on CC for years, but this one tip made it for me! Spent several cruises frustrated…could hear commentary in room but couldn’t see, or could see without hearing commentary.  A baby monitor solved the problem.

Barbara M. In NH

Great idea! Any recommendations as to which one? My "baby" is 37 years old, so my experience is limited 😉

Sue/WDW1972