What is a discontinued service/amenity you miss the most from a cruise?

17 hours ago, clo said:

We've actually asked for once a day cabin service. AM.

I'm surprised that anyone feels that way.  

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't believe all cruise lines did that. Having the lesser cabin service coincide with the increase in the daily gratuity was something specific to NCL.

And Royal Caribbean.  

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were actually booked with a future cruise at the time they were increasing the DSC. They gave the option of paying the gratuity at the rate it was before the increase if you would pay it advance.

That might affect one cruise, but it's the ongoing reduction in service /coupled with the higher fees that bother me.  

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:
17 hours ago, clo said:

We've actually asked for once a day cabin service. AM.

I'm surprised that anyone feels that way.  

I'm surprised that anyone wants/needs twice a day. Why do you?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, clo said:

In such a small space, it's nice to have things straightened up.  Getting into a bed that's been made feels nicer than a bed that's messy from an afternoon nap.  Having all fresh towels and an empty wastebasket is nicer.  Is it a need?  No, but little about cruising is a need, and it's something we've always enjoyed. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

In such a small space, it's nice to have things straightened up, trash removed, wet towels replaced more often.  Is it a need?  No, but little about cruising is a need, and it's something we've always enjoyed. 

We don't make messes and we make little trash. And I tell them from day 1 not to replace towels unless we have left them on the floor. We use our towels, at home and traveling, far more than one day. It's one of those 'tree hugger' things I love doing. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, clo said:

We don't make messes and we make little trash. And I tell them from day 1 not to replace towels unless we have left them on the floor. We use our towels, at home and traveling, far more than one day. It's one of those 'tree hugger' things I love doing. 

Good for you, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate twice a day service.  

We use our towels multiple times at home -- where we have space to spread them out -- but in a small bathroom, especially when we have more than two people, the towels don't get dry.  

51 minutes ago, clo said:

Why not just cut back to once a week cabin service (with fresh towels dropped-off every few days).  And we certainly do not need more then 2 meals a day.  Tis a slippery slope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Good for you, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate twice a day service.  

We use our towels multiple times at home -- where we have space to spread them out -- but in a small bathroom, especially when we have more than two people, the towels don't get dry.  

Okey dokey.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Why not just cut back to once a week cabin service (with fresh towels dropped-off every few days).  And we certainly do not need more then 2 meals a day.  Tis a slippery slope.

Tee hee. I remember when we were on our Norwegian coastal cruise a few years ago. The ship had only 100 pax so one place to eat. And they served dinner-equivalent meals for lunch and dinner. Just too much food for me. The breakfast included meats and cheeses, so I would sneak out a piece of ham and a piece of cheese and a couple slices of bread and make myself a sandwich for lunch. I still chuckle over it.

norwegianlunch.jpg

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Wait, what? If you took away half the meals, that would still leave more than two!  😄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

This.

I find it quite outrageous that towels are replaced after every use.

Its ridiculously unnecessary.

We always tell the staff not to replace them of we have folded them and hung them

And I can make my own bed, if I need to.

• Like 1

I agree that there are lines that will provide the things that are missing from the major lines.

I do remember when Princess had lunch in the MDR every day and it was popular.

Additional items that used to be provided on major lines -

Variety in the MDR, many seafood options - not just shrimp or salmon; many meat options usually beef and an additional meat like lamb, quail, pork, and others; appetizer variety, hot and cold soups, hot and cold appetizers, and salads.  Yes, the MDR had more choices than many specialty restaurants do now. 

More live music - string groups, dance bands ( ballroom and pop), orchestras for the shows.

We accept the changes and finds things to enjoy.  We try not to deny the facts or judge what other cruisers prefer.  The lines that provide lots of options usually are the most popular.

• Like 4

The only thing I really miss with once a day cabin service is not having an idea of when your steward is coming. If s/he hasn’t been there it makes it hard to take an afternoon nap. The rest is no big deal to me. 

14 hours ago, DarrenM said:

On vacation? Hell no! 🤣

I don't think my cabin has to be serviced 2x a day but I loved coming back from dinner and having my bed turned down and a chocolate on the pillow.

I miss chocolates on pillows, true promenade decks (I know some older ships still have them--we sometimes book them because of that), real libraries and the wonderful food that used to be available in the MDR.  It's still good, but slowly slipping.

I don't mind once a day service.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DarrenM said:

This.

I find it quite outrageous that towels are replaced after every use.

Its ridiculously unnecessary.

We always tell the staff not to replace them of we have folded them and hung them

Well, we love having the morning service. We DON'T make our bed at home so it's a real treat. But if we're back in the cabin in the afternoon, we can read on the sofa or on the bed without turning back the covers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I actually cant imagine spending the afternoon in the cabin.

There's so much to explore on the ships these days.

We once decided that we were going to sit on the balcony one afternoon sea day.

I was bored within 5 minutes. lol

Hard to people watch too sat in your own little room.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:46 PM, Airbear232 said:

1- 2 a day cabin service

2-  chocolate night 

3- full service in MDR 

4- warm bread in MDR

5- cruise compass printed

6- skeet shooting (saw this was done way back, and think it’d be fun)

7- tux rentals

8- observed dress code in MDR

Sounds like you need to try a different line! Celebrity still has most of those. 

• Like 1

There are a few things that I look back on and miss:

• A crew member carrying my tray to the table in the buffet
  • Casual dining in the buffet in the evening. Celebrity had this for a few years. A plated, served dinner in a separate area of the buffet. Small selection of entrees served by crew members in training
  • Sorbet in the afternoon on the pool deck

The new ships on Costa have done away with fridges in the cabins. From an environmental point of view, its a no brainer. Do miss somewhere to keep cold drinks cool, though. 

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

The new ships on Costa have done away with fridges in the cabins. From an environmental point of view, its a no brainer. Do miss somewhere to keep cold drinks cool, though. 

☹️☹️☹️

14 hours ago, DarrenM said:

We were 'gifted' balconies/verandas twice. Waste a time for us. We hate the heat so rarely went out on them.

I just tired at some point later in the say. I'm a tested out 'extreme extrovert' so I tire more easily than some. Just like to stretch out on the bed and read/edit photos/rarely nap.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:52 AM, DarrenM said:

I actually cant imagine spending the afternoon in the cabin.

There's so much to explore on the ships these days.

I was bored within 5 minutes. lol

Hard to people watch too sat in your own little room.

Ahhh, so now you have opened another can of worms :).  We completely agree which is why we have never bothered to book a really large suite.  I once calculated, that on a very long cruise (several months) DW and I averaged less than 3 hours a day, of waking time in our cabin.  It never made much sense, to us, to spend several hundred dollars per waking hour, for all that extra space.  

On our last HAL cruise, we became friendly with a couple who had the largest suite on the ship.  They told us how they spent most sea days in their suite because they needed to justify paying all that money for the big space :).  They would invite us to their suite, to play cards or just chat and we would always politely decline.  No way did we want to spend our time in a cabin...any cabin!  For us, part of the fun of cruising is to be out and about and socializing with other passengers.

Hank

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhh, so now you have opened another can of worms :).  We completely agree which is why we have never bothered to book a really large suite.  I once calculated, that on a very long cruise (several months) DW and I averaged less than 3 hours a day, of waking time in our cabin.  It never made much sense, to us, to spend several hundred dollars per waking hour, for all that extra space.  

On our last HAL cruise, we became friendly with a couple who had the largest suite on the ship.  They told us how they spent most sea days in their suite because they needed to justify paying all that money for the big space :).  They would invite us to their suite, to play cards or just chat and we would always politely decline.  No way did we want to spend our time in a cabin...any cabin!  For us, part of the fun of cruising is to be out and about and socializing with other passengers.

Hank

We like our large suite nice to have a separate bedroom if one of us want to watch some tv or read before going to bed . But totally agree , we get two liters of liquor of our choice and normally bring both home , it’s more fun to sit at a bar and listen to music. 

• Like 2