Jewel unable to return to Amsterdam today

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Excellent!  Enjoy!   We got a kick out of walking around the city.  So much activity...and I am not talking cars.   Many trains, huge train station, lots of canals with various types of boats/ferries...and a massive amount of bicycles of all sorts.  

I would like to visit there sometime. Does it look anything like Venice or very different?

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

It is about time the police ended this nonsense.

Yeah, the mayor of Amsterdam got involved also.  

I just can't figure out their total lack of security at the lock.  It's government property, and a tied up ship is a sitting duck.  That does not happen in ports.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would like to visit there sometime. Does it look anything like Venice or very different?

No...quite different.  But they do have a lot of canals...with lots of tours on them.  A few pics from our visit there.  We had lunch at an old tower turned restaurant.  They do a big business with Dutch pancakes.  🙂 

One boat was a floating "bar".   Should have snagged that one.  😉 

20240819_055803.jpg

20240819_055817.jpg

20240819_061312.jpg

20240819_070154.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Anxiously awaiting your arrival as we have been following this closely for the last 10 days. We can see cruise port from our 14th floor hotel room.  Truly sorry you had to miss the last day of your cruise but thankful you are bringing her back safe for ours. Just watched the ship do a 180 in the channel… welcome back Jewel of the Seas

Edited by RRTcruiser

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

Excellent!  Enjoy!   We got a kick out of walking around the city.  So much activity...and I am not talking cars.   Many trains, huge train station, lots of canals with various types of boats/ferries...and a massive amount of bicycles of all sorts.  

We spent 5 days here at the beginning of our Jewel cruise last year and only 3 days before this one. Was supposed to be 5 days again, but due to canceled flights it ended up being just 3. 😕

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is about time the police ended this nonsense.

My thought's exactly. Surprised they let it happen in the first place.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RRTcruiser said:

Anxiously awaiting your arrival as we have been following this closely for the last 10 days. We can see cruise port from our 14th floor hotel room.  Truly sorry you had to miss the last day of your cruise but thankful you are bringing her back safe for ours. Just watched the ship do a 180 in the channel… welcome back Jewel of the Seas

We will be on board for this one also. Are you at the Mövenpick Hotel or the Jakarta?

Edited by ReneeFLL

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We spent 5 days here at the beginning of our Jewel cruise last year and only 3 days before this one. Was supposed to be 5 days again, but due to canceled flights it ended up being just 3.

I'm not sure why cancelled flights should make any difference to someone who has a B787.🙂🙃🫠

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We will be on board for this one also. Are you at the Mövenpick Hotel or the Jakarta?

Actually, Holiday Inn Express…. Very nice and modern hotel…. adding a picture of your arrival from the hallway outside our 14th floor room.

My wife asked me if everyone will be allowed to stay on board one more day since you came back a day early… seems like that would be fair

IMG_5304.jpeg

Edited by RRTcruiser

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure why cancelled flights should make any difference to someone who has a B787.🙂🙃🫠

He didn’t get paid for those flights. 😁  I’m waiting on that cruise info if you’re so inclined. 🍹 🥂 🍸

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

He didn’t get paid for those flights. 😁  I’m waiting on that cruise info if you’re so inclined. 🍹 🥂 🍸

My cruise? Freedom, March 15. I'm looking to get something booked before that though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RRTcruiser said:

Actually, Holiday Inn Express…. Very nice and modern hotel…. adding a picture of your arrival from the hallway outside our 14th floor room.

My wife asked me if everyone will be allowed to stay on board one more day since you came back a day early… seems like that would be fair

IMG_5304.jpeg

Yes, we don’t have to depart until tomorrow. DH and I will be getting off to walk over to the Centraal Train Station to go look around. Otherwise we aren’t doing much ourselves today.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My cruise? Freedom, March 15. I'm looking to get something booked before that though.

Spring break! 😲  Maybe the other one.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

Spring break! 😲

I know. I didn't think about that when I picked it. However, 8 mights from PE and 4 ports with none of them a private island. DR is a new port for me and I haven't been to the other three in a few years now and two sea days at the end to relax. It seemed like a good pick. Hopefully the spring breakers will choose either newer ships or shorter cruises.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, the mayor of Amsterdam got involved also.  

I just can't figure out their total lack of security at the lock.  It's government property, and a tied up ship is a sitting duck.  That does not happen in ports.  

I think the pier is secure but the lock gates are used for pedestrian traffic as a means to get across the river.  People ride their bicycles and walk across the lock gates when they are closed. 

In this case the protectors fixed themselves where the two lock gates meet so if the lock gates were opened it would rip an arm off.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

In this case the protectors fixed themselves where the two lock gates meet so if the lock gates were opened it would rip an arm off.  

One or two protestors losing an arm would likely end this type of protest. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

One or two protestors losing an arm would likely end this type of protest. 

I have some thoughts and opinions on that but it would not likely end well for me so I'll stay on topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Its time for RCI to pull out of Amsterdam. Cruise ships not wanted by city council, locks are blocked. Enough of this nonsense. There are other beautiful port cities in West Europe with excellent facilities

44 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Its time for RCI to pull out of Amsterdam. Cruise ships not wanted by city council, locks are blocked. Enough of this nonsense. There are other beautiful port cities in West Europe with excellent facilities

My understanding is that Jewel is the last one and no cruises are scheduled for 2025.

6 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

My understanding is that Jewel is the last one and no cruises are scheduled for 2025.

Where do you get your information?  Pulled out of thin air?  Your understanding is wrong.  

There are many cruises departing from Amsterdam in 2025, including cruises with Celebrity Cruises, P&O Cruises, Holland America Line, and Viking River Cruises: 

• Celebrity Cruises
    The Celebrity Eclipse offers 7-night and 12-night cruises to Europe in 2025, including departures on June 16–23, July 27–August 3, and April 27–May 9. The Celebrity Xcel will also debut in the Caribbean in November 2025. 

• P&O Cruises
    The N513 cruise departs on June 10, 2025, and the N503 cruise departs on February 23, 2025. The N503 cruise includes an overnight stay in Amsterdam on February 24–25, 2025. 

• Holland America Line
    The Nieuw Statendam offers a 14-night cruise to Europe in 2025. 

• Viking River Cruises
    The Viking Eir and Viking Tialfi offer 9-night cruises to Europe in 2025. The Viking River Cruises also offers cruises from Amsterdam to Antwerp in 2025 and onward. 

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Where do you get your information?  Pulled out of thin air?  Your understanding is wrong.  

There are many cruises departing from Amsterdam in 2025, including cruises with Celebrity Cruises, P&O Cruises, Holland America Line, and Viking River Cruises: 

• Celebrity Cruises
    The Celebrity Eclipse offers 7-night and 12-night cruises to Europe in 2025, including departures on June 16–23, July 27–August 3, and April 27–May 9. The Celebrity Xcel will also debut in the Caribbean in November 2025. 

• P&O Cruises
    The N513 cruise departs on June 10, 2025, and the N503 cruise departs on February 23, 2025. The N503 cruise includes an overnight stay in Amsterdam on February 24–25, 2025. 

• Holland America Line
    The Nieuw Statendam offers a 14-night cruise to Europe in 2025. 

• Viking River Cruises
    The Viking Eir and Viking Tialfi offer 9-night cruises to Europe in 2025. The Viking River Cruises also offers cruises from Amsterdam to Antwerp in 2025 and onward. 

Sorry I should have said Royal has no cruises out of Amsterdam next year.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Its time for RCI to pull out of Amsterdam.

7 hours ago, njkruzer said:

7 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Sorry I should have said Royal has no cruises out of Amsterdam next year.  

Your response was actually accurate, based on the quote you were replying to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Your response was actually accurate, based on the quote you were replying to.

Thank you.  Leaving Amsterdam and about to go through the locks on our way to Iceland.  No problems anticipated. 

• Like 2