Dress code

We are sailing  Pride to Bermuda. I know that shorts are not allowed in MDR, but what about Bermudas with knee socks and a blazer?  I’ve worn such on previous cruises to Bermuda on other lines.

Posted (edited)

Let me direct you to the FAQ site: https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/133/~/what-to-wear

You will find this text:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - casual pants, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).
Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - dress trousers, dress shirts. We also suggest a sports jacket. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses. If you'd like to show off your evening gowns that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

With all that said, forty-six cruises since 1976, and shorts are plentiful every night. They have been for twenty years.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, josephmz said:

We are sailing  Pride to Bermuda. I know that shorts are not allowed in MDR, but what about Bermudas with knee socks and a blazer?  I’ve worn such on previous cruises to Bermuda on other lines.

No one is going to say anything to you. Even if you wear a tshirt, shorts and flip flops on elegant night...you will be allowed in. The only ones clutching their pearls will be here on CC.

• Like 4

You can wear shorts every night if you wish. The people on CC care more about what you wear than Carnival does. I used to pack jeans and tennis shoes for the 2 elegant nights and wore cargo shorts and a polo with sandals every other night. Over the past 8-9 years more and more people started wearing shorts every night including the elegant nights. Now I don't take any long pants or tennis shoes on cruises. If I am wearing shorts & a polo with sandals on elegant nights, my food taste the exact same. If a guy beside of me is wearing a suit and tie and all dressed up, my food still taste the same. 

Wear what you're comfortable with and enjoy your vacation. If you wear a suit and tie, you won't be alone. If you wear shorts and a t-shirt, you won't be alone. Many people wear shorts every night, including the elegant nights. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, john91498 said:

Lately, it's been anything is fine in MDR. Heck, I've seen shorts and flip flops on "elegant" nights.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make it right. Proper dress should be enforced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Dress code.

Chair hogs.

Loud bluetooth / portable speakers.

Smoking on the balcony.

Vaping inside.

All of these require the staff to confront the pax, and it seems that is just not done any more.  

People complain about a police state, and want a less-nanny-state overseer.  Then they complain about "other people" getting away with something (while they themselves are probably getting away with something different, but that's OK, their transgression is minor).

As long as society (in general) celebrates the rebel, the transgressor, the rule breaker, the obnoxious (xref 90% of TikTok, from what I've seen), then this will be the result.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I'm not saying it's right. It's just what I've been seeing in the MDR. 

1 hour ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

There are so many things that are more important for a Carnival cruise than what other people are wearing. That's like page 10 in the list of things Carnival needs to spend their energy enforcing in my view.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I don't think it is "required attire" on elegant nights. I think it is "suggested attire". I believe it even states that in the daily Fun Times if I am not mistaken.

• Like 2

I only wear long pants on elegent night and that is usually jeans with a long sleeve collared shirt. Every other night I'm wearing shorts and have been for a couple years. Seems about 50/50 between shorts and jeans especially in warm weather climate sailings. 

DH wears long shorts and polo-style shirt and Birkenstocks sandals to dinner on regular nights. On Elegant nights he wears long pants and laceup shoes, with either a nicer polo or a button down. He is comfortable and is within dress code.

• Like 1

I enjoy elegant night. I dress in jeans 99% of the time, so having an occasion to look and feel good is a treat.

I also look at those folks who show up in shorts and flip-flops on elegant night as showing a lack of respect to their fellow travelers. Invariably, those are the loud, self-absorbed "typical Americans" that give us a bad name overseas as tourists.

Just because you can get away with breaking "rules" and societal norms, doesn't mean you should.

(One exception I have sympathy for is lost luggage)

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 9:15 AM, mz-s said:

There is no dress code on Carnival in practice. Hasn't been for years. Wear whatever you want.

I believe it is time for the chain mail photo to be posted again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1