Mariner Number changed to Princess Circle Number

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We agree, brand loyalty doesn't play that big of a role for us any more in our decision-making process. Of course, it helps that we are now 4-star with HAL, Elite with Princess, and Elite+ with Celebrity, all levels that provide us free laundry! 

The thing for us about Princess is they also offer some unique itineraries. For example, we've always wanted to cruise to Brazil but without having to get a Yellow Fever vaccination. Princess has an 18-day itinerary in Jan 2025 from BA to FLL, with two stops in Brazil to include an overnight in Rio. Apparently, this itinerary is flying under the radar because right now you can still book a M1 Reserve Class mini suite for $185 pp/day, which is super cheap! We also enjoy searching for the Northern Lights and Princess has a NL cruise in October 2026 out of Southampton that also offers a follow-on TA back to the states.

However, HAL has their 28-day Alaska cruise to Nome that's got our attention for 2026. Then in 2027 we want to go to Alexandria to see the Egyptian pyramids (after the conflict is over), and HAL might be our choice for that one too. 

Then there is Viking that has a 14-day cruise from Reykjavik to Bergen with a 2-day stop in Longyearbyen, which we booked for Aug 2025. This will also be our first cruise with them to see if they are as "special" as some folks are saying.

What can I say. We're also in our early 70s, cruiseaholics, and enjoy cruising to places that no one cruise line seems to have a lock on. But at the same time, that free laundry perk we've earned on the various lines we cruise with does cause us to look at them first. 😀

We chose to go with Oceania for our South America cruise over HAL and Celebrity because of the Itinerary and the length of the cruise from Santiago to Bueno Ares. Both Celebrity and HAL had 14 night cruises but Oceania was 18 nights with 3 to 4 more port stops for very similar pricing on a per day basis. We leave Sunday for Boston to get on an 11 day cruise from Boston to Montreal. Oceania and Celebrity could not match the itinerary or pricing on this Volendam cruise. So, as I said earlier brand loyalty has hardly anything to do with where and how who we cruise with.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has had their Mariner number changed to be their Princess number.

Oddly - my husband's Mariner number seems to have changed and is now showing as his Princess number for our upcoming HAL cruise in 3 weeks. My Mariner number on our booking remains unchanged.

All our HAL and Princess bookings are for both of us, we myself (the unchanged) as the Primary passenger.

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Just resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has had their Mariner number changed to be their Princess number.

Oddly - my husband's Mariner number seems to have changed and is now showing as his Princess number for our upcoming HAL cruise in 3 weeks. My Mariner number on our booking remains unchanged.

All our HAL and Princess bookings are for both of us, we myself (the unchanged) as the Primary passenger.

Our Mariner numbers are totally different from our Princess numbers.  In fact, our Princess numbers are, basicially, the same with "A" and "B" at the end of them.

19 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Our Mariner numbers are totally different from our Princess numbers.  In fact, our Princess numbers are, basicially, the same with "A" and "B" at the end of them.

We have (had) totally different Mariner and Princess numbers (our Princess numbers are newer so each are unique and do not have the "A" or "B" at the end)

When we checked in for our upcoming cruise, my husbands Mariner number has been changed to now be his Princess number.

Like the OP,  his number in the Navigator app is still his original Mariner number, and says he has no cruises booked (although we are checked in for the one in 3 weeks assigned to his Princess number).

We'll call or do the on-line chat with HAL tomorrow to clarify what is going on with his account(s).

Our Mariner (4 star) and Princess (Elite) are now the same.

Earlier this summer on the Westerdam, our dining waiter asked me how I liked my last cruise with Princess.  I was a little confused since I had not told him we had been in a Princess cruise prior to boarding the Westerdam.  I said something to him and he told me that the system listed us as Elites on Princess along with our cruise history with them.  I thought it odd at the time—why would HAL have that information available to staff on board? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Our Mariner (4 star) and Princess (Elite) are now the same.

Earlier this summer on the Westerdam, our dining waiter asked me how I liked my last cruise with Princess.  I was a little confused since I had not told him we had been in a Princess cruise prior to boarding the Westerdam.  I said something to him and he told me that the system listed us as Elites on Princess along with our cruise history with them.  I thought it odd at the time—why would HAL have that information available to staff on board? 

Interesting. With my husband what is odd is now he is showing up as a "zero" star Mariner as opposed to being is 3*.

It sounds like there is some alignment of the numbers happening.though odd they are doing it to one of us and not the other for this cruise.

34 minutes ago, BuckGood said:

I just checked my account with HAL and instead of it showing 3* it says I’m Silver!🤔

Were/are you a "Silver" in Princess ?

Wondering if they just matched you over to a Princess equivalent or carried your Princess status over ...??

We are tier 2 in the HAL Loyalty program and have cruises booked on HAL next May and on Princess (for the first time) in July 2026. I assume Princess will do what most lines do, assign us a number after we complete one cruise. Should I be proactive and give Princess our Mariner numbers in hopes that the two numbers will be the same? 

56 minutes ago, BuckGood said:

I just checked my account with HAL and instead of it showing 3* it says I’m Silver!🤔

Yep, my HAL account said Gold for a while. That's my Seabourn level. It's a total mish-mash for sure.

I just checked my account, and it still says 4*. But I have only one cruise on Princess, and that was over 15 years ago, so I wouldn't think HAL would change my Mariner number to my Princess number.

It's really strange that @rodndonna had one account renumbered and the other left as is. Ahh, the joys of HAL's IT...

On 8/13/2024 at 1:01 PM, ChinaShrek said:

It would be nice if Carnival had one program for all of its brands. They could combine all of my points from HAL, Carnival, and Princess and give me my new status. Royal Caribbean is doing this with Celebrity.

Royal is not combining points with Celebrity.  Each branch is still keeping their own way of determining points.  However, status is sort of shared but not exactly equal.  A Celebrity Zenith becomes a Pinnacle and a Pinnacle becomes a Zenith but benefits are not equal. It's a program that needs some serious tweeking.

I just checked.  I still have my HAL number, one that I can actually remember.  We have 11  cruises with Princess but none in two decades.  

And what a laugh: "The Best Loyalty Program at Sea" but that is another debate.

OK - so did an online chat with HAL, and they said they can see 2 Mariner ID's for my husband (one is actually is Princess number). He then said he "merged" the two ID"s and to let Mariner Society know which ID we want use.

Have sent an email to Mariner Society now to clarify what that means now in terms of our Princess ID. Not sure if we now should just haveone ID going forward or will we still have 2 ID;s which are just merged (I guess so HAL and Princess can share loyalty info?)

On 8/14/2024 at 10:47 AM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This does not surprise me and I almost wonder if it is not a bit old fashion with placing the women as B and not A. I have cruised Princess quite a bit and we are now Elite but my name has always been first on the reservation and Tom was second but from the first cruise quite a few years ago I was assigned the number with the B at the end. But I also know of a couple the husband A and wife B and her husband passed and she remarried and new husband was given her number ending with C so I have no idea what their logic is. 🤷‍♀️

We received our Gold medallions on the Volendam this summer. When the cruise director called people up to the front, couples were called as ‘MR. JOHN DOE (and his wife jane)’. It was as if the husband was a person and the wife was a fashion accessory or pet. I’ve never seen that before, and I’ve sat and applauded my way through a LOT of those ceremonies over the years.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We received our Gold medallions on the Volendam this summer. When the cruise director called people up to the front, couples were called as ‘MR. JOHN DOE (and his wife jane)’. It was as if the husband was a person and the wife was a fashion accessory or pet. I’ve never seen that before, and I’ve sat and applauded my way through a LOT of those ceremonies over the years.

At least they used her first name. My husband was involved with a few local organizations and when the city had events for combined groups many years ago, wives had only the husband's name, as in Mrs John Doe. We would see friends at these events and she and I would say "Hello, Mrs. John Doe" and "Hello, Mrs William Smith." We called it being Mrs. His Name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/8/2024 at 10:11 AM, Maya_C said:

We are tier 2 in the HAL Loyalty program and have cruises booked on HAL next May and on Princess (for the first time) in July 2026. I assume Princess will do what most lines do, assign us a number after we complete one cruise. Should I be proactive and give Princess our Mariner numbers in hopes that the two numbers will be the same? 

If you are booked with Princess, you have a number assigned at the time of booking.  Whether it's the same as your HAL number, I have no clue.  For us, our Princess number is totally different than our HAL numbers which go back a fair number of years.

15 hours ago, Btimmer said:

If you are booked with Princess, you have a number assigned at the time of booking.  Whether it's the same as your HAL number, I have no clue.  For us, our Princess number is totally different than our HAL numbers which go back a fair number of years.

Thanks for the info. I checked my Princess account and the number is different from HAL's.