Security checks at Southampton

pennib

We have 2 cruises booked from Southampton. People have mentioned “going through security” to board the ship. Is this the same security checks when doing a fly cruise ie shoes off, 100ml bottles etc etc? It is 18 years since we last did a cruise from Soton (the old QE2) so things have probably changed a bit since then!!

• Haha 1

Not quite as bad as going through the airport - no restrictions on liquids (no plastic bags).

Shoes - that depends on the shoes but I have never had to take them off (even at an airport) but my wife sometimes has.

No metal in pockets, watches off, phones & laptops in a tray, coats off etc.

Walk through scanner (old style) collect belongings and get dressed and then on to the ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ladies with heels sometimes have to take them off and put them through the x-ray machine because a lot of high heeled shoes have metal strips to help to support the heel.  I usually wear flat shoes for travelling because I have had to walk through the security gate at airports and ports in the past.  My husband puts his loose change, phone, keys and watch in my handbag to go through security so that nothing is lost.

In the summer I noticed that quite a lot of American men had man bags or numbers that they were emptying their pockets into before security.

Edited by Josy1953

2 hours ago, pennib said:

We have 2 cruises booked from Southampton. People have mentioned “going through security” to board the ship. Is this the same security checks when doing a fly cruise ie shoes off, 100ml bottles etc etc? It is 18 years since we last did a cruise from Soton (the old QE2) so things have probably changed a bit since then!!

Apparently Marks and Spencer shoes have something in their construction which makes the buzzers go off. One of the ladies manning the machine told me if wearing M and S shoes take off just in case. As I buy all my shoes there I just automatically take them off now as I go through. 

Certainly at airports there have been lots of changes.  Our local airport now has a shoe checker you need to stand on.

I did so and it decided my shoes were suspicious, they were welted commando sole brogues.  I was there for about 10 minutes while I was asked to step on and step off, scan, rinse and repeat.  I then had to remove shoes and they were sent through the scanner,

After all that the security guy told me all the shoes of that type fail!

... and gents need to remove their belt if, like mine, it contains a metal buckle, so undignified shuffle past the scanner trying not to let my trousers fall to around my knees!

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2024 at 6:25 PM, Josy1953 said:

Ladies with heels sometimes have to take them off and put them through the x-ray machine because a lot of high heeled shoes have metal strips to help to support the heel.  I usually wear flat shoes for travelling because I have had to walk through the security gate at airports and ports in the past.  My husband puts his loose change, phone, keys and watch in my handbag to go through security so that nothing is lost.

In the summer I noticed that quite a lot of American men had man bags or numbers that they were emptying their pockets into before security.

Some of us Brits have man bags.🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbtablet said:

... and gents need to remove their belt if, like mine, it contains a metal buckle, so undignified shuffle past the scanner trying not to let my trousers fall to around my knees!

I'll go through in Speedo's and flip-flops. All ready for formal night.

• Haha 8

21 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

And if you were on Cunard it would be fur coat and no knickers!

Until you had to take your fur coat off to go through security then it would be ...

• Haha 2

Boarded last Monday. No taking shoes or light jackets off. Mobile phones in tray with all bags (man or not). My metal knee did not set the alarm off as it does in airports. Very easy. A word of praise for the assistance helpers here. Great people, couldn’t be more helpful. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

My smartwatch that I forgot to take off set the bells ringing.

So not smart after all. Didn't tell you ' take me off, take me off'.🤣

• Haha 4

On 8/14/2024 at 6:29 PM, Winifred 22 said:

Apparently Marks and Spencer shoes have something in their construction which makes the buzzers go off. 

Shoes have a stiffener in the sole which bridges across the instep.  Often made of wood if it shrinks can give rise to squeaky shoes. However sometimes the "shank" as this piece is known is made of metal.

Regards John

• Like 1