If you are a solo traveler, Celebrity still doesn't want you.

Sandy1975

I can see this both ways and there’s likely a middle ground.  Obviously, revenue/profit is the sole focus, however a company also wants to (typically) retain customers and build a customer base.  This is especially  important when economically there is a swing in the negative direction. Loyal customers are your revenue makers in hard times.  This is simply my opinion of course.

7 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I can see this both ways and there’s likely a middle ground.  

The middle ground is charge the full 200% when the ship will be full and offer solo discounts when you need to fill the room.  Many cruise lines used to charge 150% as the standard and then upped it to 200% as ships began to fill.  To now say "we don't want solo passengers" is a ridiculous business decision. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Buy cruise only and then drink package after - that way if it goes on sale you can reprice it.

I never buy AI I buy the package after - same with wifi

Not always true. I figure out the daily charge and decide at booking if the math works for me. It worked out to be $51 a day for the AI. The lowest that it have been for just the drink package was $57. As I was checking for price drops on the cruise the AI price was going up as well as the basic cruise price. I booked it 30 days before final payment. I sail the end of Sept and the price as gone up even more after final payment.

7 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

The middle ground is charge the full 200% when the ship will be full and offer solo discounts when you need to fill the room.  Many cruise lines used to charge 150% as the standard and then upped it to 200% as ships began to fill.  To now say "we don't want solo passengers" is a ridiculous business decision. 

Or, more specifically, we want you, but only in the few cabins we designed for you - or only if you're willing to pay for a suite.

• Like 3

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

Not always true. I figure out the daily charge and decide at booking if the math works for me. It worked out to be $51 a day for the AI. The lowest that it have been for just the drink package was $57. As I was checking for price drops on the cruise the AI price was going up as well as the basic cruise price. I booked it 30 days before final payment. I sail the end of Sept and the price as gone up even more after final payment.

AI is only classic drinks and basic wifi (which is terrible). I normally go with the premium of both, I've never had the AI be cheaper than booking separately as the premium drink package for me is $110 a day

6 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Or, more specifically, we want you, but only in the few cabins we designed for you - or only if you're willing to pay for a suite.

and unless it's a time when nobody else wants to cruise... then you can go wherever you want. haha. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'd be curious, are they adding a surcharge on those suites. Last time I looked at one they added a lovely $5,000 onto the price to make up for the second person.

Believe it or not there is a singles group on board the Eclipse on Nov. 16 and many have booked their own cabin including myself.  From what I've heard there's still plenty of cabins available.

6 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

AI is only classic drinks and basic wifi (which is terrible). I normally go with the premium of both, I've never had the AI be cheaper than booking separately as the premium drink package for me is $110 a day

I'm not doing anything special with the WiFi. We may have send or receive text but that's it. I upgraded to Premium drink package for $8.99 which was still cheaper than if I purchased it at the prices they were offering even with a discount. So basically I paid $60 for premium and the wifi was a bonus. Right now the Premium is $88.99 I have seen it as low as $74.99

8 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I'd be curious, are they adding a surcharge on those suites. Last time I looked at one they added a lovely $5,000 onto the price to make up for the second person.

That I haven't looked into. I really don't want to do a suite.

I'm currently deciding which Aqua Class room on Silhouette I want my TA to change my Feb 2026 cruise to so I can decide if I'll be happy sailing Celebrity when I'm restricted to non-Edge Class ships to get Aqua Class.

1 minute ago, breakiron said:

Believe it or not there is a singles group on board the Eclipse on Nov. 16 and many have booked their own cabin including myself.  From what I've heard there's still plenty of cabins available.

The problem is Edge Class during high cruising periods.

11 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Yowzer.  Maybe it’s just me but any time I look at suites they are like $22000pp 😂 So 5k seems like a bargain.  lol 

Just now, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Yowzer.  Maybe it’s just me but any time I look at suites they are like $22000pp 😂 So 5k seems like a bargain.  lol 

They added $5,000 not it was $5,000 😬

I think for 2 people it was 13k but for me it was 18k

12 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

They added $5,000 not it was $5,000 😬

I think for 2 people it was 13k but for me it was 18k

I get that people have lots of disposable income, but some of the suite prices are simply mind boggling.  I can only travel at the highest priced times and I see lower prices during other times but still.

5 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I get that people have lots of disposable income, but some of the suite prices are simply mind boggling.  I can only travel at the highest priced times and I see lower prices during other times but still.

I look at different rooms for fun - I've done a suite once but had a massive discount I got a Celebrity suite for $1,000 more than my original room in Aqua for a 12 night cruise.

But mostly I book solo rooms, I have more flexibility with traveling but its scary the prices out there they are really high. I know on here people say go to luxury lines but they are even more which makes no sense for just me.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Of course "We certainly don't want that to happen, but I do understand why you might feel forced to make that decision."

Yeah they're trained to say that

In reality with cruises sailing at full capacity I doubt they give a hoot if you go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I'm a long-time solo cruiser.  In January this year, before the status match, I booked 18-night Silversea Panama Canal transit in basic suite for April 2025 for $9800, all inclusive ($544/night).  Same itinerary on Summit for 16 nights in A2 (just an aqua cabin) is $750/night all-in. I don't think X is such a good deal these days for most categories, but obviously a lot of folks keep booking, probably assuming it's cheaper without actually price comparing.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Got a call back.

Pretty much what I expected - "Revenue has made the decision to restrict cabins to double occupancy or higher in all but the solo cabins or Retreat during the summer as it's our highest revenue time". She at least seemed to listen and said that she would pass along my feedback. I did express that this decision has caused me to take my vacation dollars elsewhere for next summer and could well result in my permanently taking my vacation dollars elsewhere. Of course "We certainly don't want that to happen, but I do understand why you might feel forced to make that decision."

So, yeah. They may be putting solo cabins on the E-Class, but they definitely don't want us cruising because we don't generate enough revenue for them. That message came through loud and clear.

They don't care. I know the work around but what stops them from moving a person if Celebrity wants the cabin. I don't want to play these games. And of course retreat is not an issue since it is expensive. 

Thanks for checking on this. Now we know why some are restricted and others are not

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

How are you getting these deals for Silversea? When I look for me it's like $20k and I still have to book airfare.

You have to book over a year out; better yet, when their cruises are first released.  That's when I've found solo supplements for cruises that work for me (min 14 nights, balcony, less that $10K).  All the cruises I currently have booked were made more than a year out.  At least now with Silversea, the deposits are refundable and with the status match, most folks get a 10% discount.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Anymore since we are not big drinkers it is by far less spendy  to purchase as we go. Since we do get the elite happy hour we primarily use that. On our last eight day cruise our 

Al Bacio coffee bill along with our drinks we purchased were less than $500 for both of us. We used our elite 90 min complementary internet and then just purchased for the few days we had left.  There is a much cheaper workaround then paying double for everything.  

Edited by mauimary

I do a lot of Solo cruises (my DW says3-4 a year is enough for her) but I always book cruise only + tips because I do not drink alcohol or surgery sodas.

I have tried high priced cruise lines like Silversea, Crystal and Azamara but to me a Stateroom is just a place to sleep and fancy (expensive) ones are a waste of money.

If I’m cruising somewhere Warm I get a standard Balcony and if it’s cold I do a window cabin.

i find being the Elite+ level of CC makes Premium WiFi affordable compared to NCL that will cost me $40 a Day on a Panama Canal cruise I will do in December .

like someone else mentioned I find when I book Early the price of a cruise Seldom goes Down. 
Cruises on the older ships or those with a lot of Sea Days seem to be less expensive and that’s fine with me as Like the older ships (less crowded) and Sea Days.

Celebrities Solo prices just reflect Supply and Demand. It’s a basic reality of Business.

If you find customers willing to pay your price then the price is Not too high.

• Like 2