Our FIRST Royal Caribbean Cruise since September 1999! What Have we Missed??

Greetings...  We just booked a four day cruise on the Navigator of the Seas!  We have cruised for the past 25 years, mostly on Princess.  BUT, our FIRST cruise ever was 25 years ago on Royal Caribbean's Viking Serenade!  I'm sure things have changed since then, because we have seen the changes on Princess over the past 20+ years.   

What have you experienced in the way of changes over the years?  And what can we expect on the Navigator??   AND, what are some things we should not miss during our four days??   We are in the SENIOR category and don't do much in the way of SLIDES and wild rides, but enjoy relaxing and good food!    This cruise is kind of a re-entry and test for us into the RC market.

THANKS!!! 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Google youtube videos... there are some great ones out there of Navigator

thanks...  I have looked at the videos.  looks like a great ship.  25 years ago, there was no attractions like there are today!   I was hoping for more "personal" insight and recommendations that might not be highlighted on the video.

Edited by mikjr

Our first cruise on Royal was Navigator.  Up till then, we had sailed a bunch on the older Celebrity ships. First thing that blew mw away was the Royal Promenade. You walk in and see this big open hall, form the front to rear elevator banks, several stories tall. THen up to the Windjammer (buffet) where you can see how wide it is. You can look at all of the picture, but nothing beats actually standing there.

Was our first B2B cruise, 10 day eastern Med followed with a 12 day TA.

WE have only done 1 Princess cruise , 1999 Alaska.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mikjr said:

Greetings...  We just booked a four day cruise on the Navigator of the Seas!  We have cruised for the past 25 years, mostly on Princess.  BUT, our FIRST cruise ever was 25 years ago on Royal Caribbean's Viking Serenade!  I'm sure things have changed since then, because we have seen the changes on Princess over the past 20+ years.   

What have you experienced in the way of changes over the years?  And what can we expect on the Navigator??   AND, what are some things we should not miss during our four days??   We are in the SENIOR category and don't do much in the way of SLIDES and wild rides, but enjoy relaxing and good food!    This cruise is kind of a re-entry and test for us into the RC market.

THANKS!!! 

Based on the limited information in your post, you would be a lot happier on Celebrity. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on the limited information in your post, you would be a lot happier on Celebrity. 

we've sailed several times on Celebrity and it's still one of our favorites.  But, I'm curious why you would make the comment you did?   We actually booked the cruise because our son and family are going and asked us to join them.   I just wanted a bit of PERSONAL feedback on the ship from someone who has cruised recently

44 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I love the Navigator!  But a 4N cruise on the Navigator, not as much.  Most of the short cruises are just party cruises.

YES, I realize that.  I've cruise for over 20 years and usually take 15+ day cruises.  BUT, our son asked us to join him and his family... so that's why we are going, and that's why I asked for a few personal opinions and recommendations on the ship.   Sounds like you've been on it, so what do you LOVE about the Navigator??  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikjr said:

we've sailed several times on Celebrity and it's still one of our favorites.  But, I'm curious why you would make the comment you did?   We actually booked the cruise because our son and family are going and asked us to join them.   I just wanted a bit of PERSONAL feedback on the ship from someone who has cruised recently

You stated you enjoy relaxing and good food. Those are two areas Celebrity has RCI beaten hands down in my opinion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikjr said:

YES, I realize that.  I've cruise for over 20 years and usually take 15+ day cruises.  BUT, our son asked us to join him and his family... so that's why we are going, and that's why I asked for a few personal opinions and recommendations on the ship.   Sounds like you've been on it, so what do you LOVE about the Navigator??  

Navigator is a great ship with the best slides on any RCI ship with the exception of Icon. It is also one of only two RCI ships that has the Bamboo Room, which is one of my favorite bars on any RCI ship. If you like a party ship, you will have a great time on Navigator. 

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You stated you enjoy relaxing and good food. Those are two areas Celebrity has RCI beaten hands down in my opinion. 

When we cruised RCL in 1999, I thought the food was great, but like all the Cruise lines, cut backs have taken place and I hear the food quality has suffered.  We shall see.   I realize the short cruises are party cruises.  Our son and his wife is 40ish so I'm sure they will enjoy themselves and we'll watch the grandkids!!    Thanks for the INFO. 

I haven’t sailed on Navigator for a long time but have continued to sail on RCCL. When we did sail on Navigator it was our kids first cruise and they had a blast. RCCL has a great kids program. I know that you say you will be watching the grandkids and I certainly understand the desire to spend time with them. However, I suggest you let them go to the kids program for a few hours a day and you can then spend time relaxing in the Solarium. You will get the relaxation you like and the grandkids will enjoy themselves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikjr said:

We love the water slides, they are our favorite.

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2024 at 9:43 PM, Tlbecker1 said:

I love the Navigator!  But a 4N cruise on the Navigator, not as much.  Most of the short cruises are just party cruises.

Agreed. This is not a good test for your satisfaction with RC. Changes over the years are probably My Time Dining, more specialty restaurants, a disappearance of the midnight buffet, and a more casual dress code- no need for formal wear, and star-bucks coffee available for a fee. What is special to this class of ship is the royal promenade of shops  and bars, with music in some places some of the time there. 

Edited by budmeister

On 8/16/2024 at 5:29 AM, mikjr said:

There is nothing really special about Navigator - so it will be hard to answer your question!

You just do you and you will be fine!

@mikjr After reading your posts, I am thinking that the focus of this cruise for you is a family vacation rather than what the Navigator offers you.

The ship has a lot to offer young families.Most likely, that is why your son and DIL chose it for a vacation.

If it was me, I would let them do the planning for restaurants and shows etc. Just go along with their plan. I also agree that the grandchildren get registered for the kids’club(s). You can spend time with them,of course, but they may enjoy the activities of the clubs and you can enjoy some time at the Solarium or activities of your choosing on your own time.

I would look at it this way- the cruise is 4days. If it is not to your liking, 4days is not a long time to deal with it. If it is a positive experience, you may want to book another longer RCL cruise for a future vacation.

Most important is that you spend time with your son and his family.

Hoping good memories are made for all on this vacation.

MJ

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@mikjr 

Most important is that you spend time with your son and his family.

Hoping good memories are made for all on this vacation.

MJ

MJ... thanks for your comments!   I also think the most important thing is making memories with our grandkids.  BUT, we also wanted to get reacquainted with RCCL since it's been 25 years.   I realize it's going to be much different than our usual 16 day to Hawaii on Princess, especially going during the Christmas holiday!!   but 4 days will go by fast.  

1 hour ago, mikjr said:

MJ... thanks for your comments!   I also think the most important thing is making memories with our grandkids.  BUT, we also wanted to get reacquainted with RCCL since it's been 25 years.   I realize it's going to be much different than our usual 16 day to Hawaii on Princess, especially going during the Christmas holiday!!   but 4 days will go by fast.  

I think the post you responded to hit the nail on the head…the most important thing is to enjoy time with your family. For what it’s worth, the name of the cruise line is Royal Caribbean International (RCI, not RCCL). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, George C said:

I always liked navigator , good entertainment, piano bar, pub with guitar player and great ice show . Ship is not too large or small.

I agree. Voyager and Freedom class ships are my favorites. Just the right size for me. I don’t need or utilize all the bells and whistles of the mega ships although I understand their appeal for many.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, voyager70 said:

I agree. Voyager and Freedom class ships are my favorites. Just the right size for me. I don’t need or utilize all the bells and whistles of the mega ships although I understand their appeal for many.

We're not MEGA ship people either, and probably wouldn't have taken this cruise if our kids hadn't invited us.   They're probably thinking... "OH GOOD...  built in babysitters!"   But we wouldn't have it any other way...  and we did want to try RC again.  

Edited by mikjr
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 12:38 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why keep pumping Celebrity ?

OP has stated they have Navigator booked . Helpful comments about Navigator might be more in line with the request !

Cheers

On 8/16/2024 at 12:42 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Navigator is a great ship with the best slides on any RCI ship with the exception of Icon. It is also one of only two RCI ships that has the Bamboo Room, which is one of my favorite bars on any RCI ship. If you like a party ship, you will have a great time on Navigator. 

Just catching up and reading you next post . 

I'm sure they appreciate this one a lot more !