Considering NCL Aqua Inaugural (to USA) Cruise Southampton to Boston

Hello all, We have never been on a Trans Atlantic cruise or an Inaugural cruise. Thought that we might try this on the Aqua ship. For those of you that have experienced a similar cruise, what are the positives, negatives and different things about a cruise with no ports (we understand the relaxation part) or a brand new ship sailing? Thank you in advance for your input. Happy sailing!

• Like 1

Looking forward to this cruise.  This will be the 2nd time I have been lucky enough to bring a brand new across the Atlantic.  The last one was The Getaway in mid January 2014.  This one I suspect will be much different just because of the number of passengers on board.  There has been no information released yet as to the entertainment being offered.  Neither has there been anything being said yet as to any of the staff members on board.

No matter, as always, a cruise is what you make it and not about someone else thinks.

Come aboard and enjoy

• Like 5

The only negative is a more northern route, we sailed the Prima TA - the outside areas were closed or just too cold to do anything, The Viva TA, a more southern route enjoyed the infinity pools and lounging in the sun. 

Hope to see you aboard, there is a roll call but it's very very quiet which is surprising, the Prima and Viva both had active roll calls

Jim

• Like 3

We did the Epic inaugural cruise from Southhampton to NY.  It was a late June departure from Southhampton with an arrival in NY on July 3.  Spent a couple of days in London and had absolutely wonderful weather.  The day we boarded the ship was gorgeous too. Thereafter, weather was terrible..........foggy and quite chilly and rainy.  Pool deck was closed off the majority of the trip.  The day we arrived in NY was lovely.  Would I do another crossing.......no, never.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I like TA seadays.  May not apply to you, but:  (1) I bring a Kindle loaded with books; and (2) I play duplicate (competitive) bridge.  NCL usually offers a bridge lesson and a game on each TA seaday…makes them pass quickly.  I will be joining you on the Aqua TA.

Edited by FLAHAM
  • Like 1

For any inaugural cruise, don't be surprised about a delayed (or canceled) sailing and/or selected venues and features of the ship not being fully operational.  Pretty sweet "new car smell" though.

If you book it, have a wonderful time!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Aqua is a clone of the Prima. The Prima is widely known as a ship that isn't conducive to cold weather sailing, since if the outside areas are closed (or nobody is out there because of the weather), the inside is very packed. TA weather can be very iffy to begin with...but in March, I wouldn't count on it it being warm.

So you need to consider if you want to spend a week (with no port stops) rubbing elbows and confined with a couple thousand of your new friends. We did a TA on the Escape in November, but we had a ton of port stops before crossing, so we enjoyed it.

Having said that, if the price was right, it could be worth it. YMMV...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

The Aqua is a clone of the Prima. The Prima is widely known as a ship that isn't conducive to cold weather sailing, since if the outside areas are closed (or nobody is out there because of the weather), the inside is very packed. TA weather can be very iffy to begin with...but in March, I wouldn't count on it it being warm.

So you need to consider if you want to spend a week (with no port stops) rubbing elbows and confined with a couple thousand of your new friends. We did a TA on the Escape in November, but we had a ton of port stops before crossing, so we enjoyed it.

Having said that, if the price was right, it could be worth it. YMMV...

The Aqua is a larger version of the Prima and Viva, think of it as Breakaway + ship. I hope NCL and its partners have learned from their mistakes and will make improvements to the Aqua design. They have already made some changes to Viva, so that gives me some hope.

#Schmoopiefest2026

Jim 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

The Aqua is a larger version of the Prima and Viva, think of it as Breakaway + ship. I hope NCL and its partners have learned from their mistakes and will make improvements to the Aqua design. They have already made some changes to Viva, so that gives me some hope.

#Schmoopiefest2026

Jim 

Curious as to what changes have been made to the Viva?

On 8/16/2024 at 8:43 PM, www3traveler said:

Looking forward to this cruise.  This will be the 2nd time I have been lucky enough to bring a brand new across the Atlantic.  The last one was The Getaway in mid January 2014.  This one I suspect will be much different just because of the number of passengers on board.  There has been no information released yet as to the entertainment being offered.  Neither has there been anything being said yet as to any of the staff members on board.

No matter, as always, a cruise is what you make it and not about someone else thinks.

Come aboard and enjoy

Thank you so much for this. We will see you on board.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:57 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

The only negative is a more northern route, we sailed the Prima TA - the outside areas were closed or just too cold to do anything, The Viva TA, a more southern route enjoyed the infinity pools and lounging in the sun. 

Hope to see you aboard, there is a roll call but it's very very quiet which is surprising, the Prima and Viva both had active roll calls

Jim

Hi! Thank you for your input. We will be sure to bring our cool weather clothes. See you on board!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:58 AM, LadyBerard said:

We did the Epic inaugural cruise from Southhampton to NY.  It was a late June departure from Southhampton with an arrival in NY on July 3.  Spent a couple of days in London and had absolutely wonderful weather.  The day we boarded the ship was gorgeous too. Thereafter, weather was terrible..........foggy and quite chilly and rainy.  Pool deck was closed off the majority of the trip.  The day we arrived in NY was lovely.  Would I do another crossing.......no, never.  

Ha! That's funny... No, never! We appreciate your honesty and will be prepared with lots of books to read and not expect to swim or sunbathe. Thank you

Giving just a little thought to this for my husband and me, as our whole family is scheduled to sail Aqua in late May '25. It seems like it might be a nice way to make a memory - taking a ship across the Atlantic!

Other reasons we'd think about this:

We love London (well, at least I do...)

We're originally from Boston

Even though we live in FL now, we are ok with cold and rain (after living in New England for decades...)

It would be a 70th birthday present 🙂

A BIG reason not to:

I tend toward seasickness (but generally am OK with the scop patch) - the North Atlantic in March  sounds like it could be quite rough...

What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, mooline said:

Giving just a little thought to this for my husband and me, as our whole family is scheduled to sail Aqua in late May '25. It seems like it might be a nice way to make a memory - taking a ship across the Atlantic!

Even though we live in FL now, we are ok with cold and rain (after living in New England for decades...)

A BIG reason not to:

I tend toward seasickness (but generally am OK with the scop patch) - the North Atlantic in March  sounds like it could be quite rough...

What do you guys think?

Since you asked, I would skip the Inaugural Cruise and save the money for excursions or/and something special on your May cruise and make family memories.  

• Like 1

Thank you www3, yes, I did ask because I wanted candid opinions and I’m grateful for yours.

Guess I'm suffering from CAS (cruise anticipation syndrome). Wish I could make May come faster!

Looking forward to hearing the reports from all of you on the inaugural!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 1:17 PM, mooline said:

A BIG reason not to:

What do you guys think?

So we also love London and that is a good perk for this cruise. We also are still thinking of the novelty/memories of the cruise. Having on our list of trips taken that we did an Inaugural cruise across the Atlantic would be cool! I get just a little sea sick during very rough weather but 1/2 of a Dramamine has always been just enough for me. Even if it's crazy, could we look back and laugh at the amazing time we had? I am polling everyone I come across and it's really a 50/50 split!!! UGH!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

So we also love London and that is a good perk for this cruise. We also are still thinking of the novelty/memories of the cruise. Having on our list of trips taken that we did an Inaugural cruise across the Atlantic would be cool! I get just a little sea sick during very rough weather but 1/2 of a Dramamine has always been just enough for me. Even if it's crazy, could we look back and laugh at the amazing time we had? I am polling everyone I come across and it's really a 50/50 split!!! UGH!

I had the joy and pleasure of doing The Getaway's Inaugural in mid January 2014 from Southampton to New York City.  It was a great cruise in spite of the cold ugly weather.  Can not wait to repeat the experience on The Aqua. 

• Like 1

I am looking forward to the Aqua inaugural TA so I can post the first unreasonably rotten review on CruiseCritic.  I notice that the Club Balcony premium over Balcony is much larger than usual.

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2024 at 8:43 PM, www3traveler said:

Come aboard and enjoy

Creative Studios by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is seeking singers and dancers for REVOLUTION, an original production celebrating the music, legacy, and spirit of Prince through his diverse, chart-topping body of work starting from the 1970s through the present day. This theatrical tribute is set to debut on Norwegian Cruise Line’s newest ship, the Norwegian AQUA. Cast members will also participate in another mainstage production onboard: ELEMENTS. Select cast members will also participate in other various entertainment offerings such as a cabaret evening, live game show, and/or pop-up events.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:41 PM, mjcatlvr said:

Hello all, We have never been on a Trans Atlantic cruise or an Inaugural cruise. Thought that we might try this on the Aqua ship. For those of you that have experienced a similar cruise, what are the positives, negatives and different things about a cruise with no ports (we understand the relaxation part) or a brand new ship sailing? Thank you in advance for your input. Happy sailing!

It is literally just a repositioning cruise. There are no port calls. You have to love sea days. In the “old days”

we loved crisscrossing the Atlantic on Cunard. Those were true ocean liners built for the North Atlantic. Modern cruise ships are a bit less stable for the rough seas. 

Book the cruise. Have fun!