Hotels through HAL

I have been on 3 cruises with HAL, but I have never booked accommodations through them.  I know the 2026 Alaska schedule hasn't been released yet, but when it does, would I be able to book pre-cruise accommodations for 4 days prior to the cruise?  If so, would it be guaranteed?  I ask this because in case you didn't know, both Seattle and Vancouver are hosting World Cup games, and it's going to be absolute madness.  TIA.

• Thanks 1

Probably not.  They will have a one night package with transfer to ship.  You could always start your cruise in Anchorage (Whittier) or do a land package starting in Alaska.  Look at what HAL offers for 2025 for precruise.  It should be similar.  

Posted (edited)

Your hotel price will be much lower by booking it yourself.  Book it as early as possible to hopefully avoid the conflicts with sporting events. Go to the hotel website directly.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

Even if HAL was to offer multiple nights, their prices are always higher than if you book it yourself.

For the full eclipse earlier this year, there were many complaints from people who had booked hotel rooms well in advance in cities in the direct path of the eclipse, paying the going rate for the rooms. But many had their reservations cancelled when the hotels realized later how popular the event was becoming and how much more they could get for the rooms.

There are numerous companies through whom you can make hotel reservations. It might be worth your while to enquire what their policies are with respect to hotels wanting to cancel reservations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

But many had their reservations cancelled when the hotels realized later how popular the event was becoming and how much more they could get for the rooms.

Exactly.  Which is why I asked if HAL would guarantee the rate.  I'd pay what HAL asked because it's going to be cheaper than what the market will dictate.

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

In case anybody is wondering, I believe all 6 matches Seattle is hosting are during the second half of June.

I have a feeling that the typical HAL passenger is going to be caught with their pants down when they book their 2026 Alaska cruises...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

In case anybody is wondering, I believe all 6 matches Seattle is hosting are during the second half of June.

I too am waiting for 2026 schedules.

Already published!

image.png.98baf59b6ecf8ef3d22977ec60edafc9.png

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, srsurman said:

Exactly.  Which is why I asked if HAL would guarantee the rate.  I'd pay what HAL asked because it's going to be cheaper than what the market will dictate.

At the startup I had booked a hotel in  Anchorage for 2022 with them in 2021. The going rate doubled but I enjoyed the rate I had originally booked. Funny thing was when my agent misread my instructions I had almost cancelled that reservation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Probably not.  They will have a one night package with transfer to ship.  You could always start your cruise in Anchorage (Whittier) or do a land package starting in Alaska.  Look at what HAL offers for 2025 for precruise.  It should be similar.  

Is this only for Alaska? Other embark/debark port cities have 1, 2, and 3 night packages available.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roz said:

Is this only for Alaska? Other embark/debark port cities have 1, 2, and 3 night packages available.

I booked an extra night in Anchorage, 1 came with the tour and 1 extra.  I always see at least two nights offered on my sailings.  Likely you could book more

@srsurman  I have been in cities with big events and there are always suburban and airport hotels with availability.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srsurman said:

I have a feeling that the typical HAL passenger is going to be caught with their pants down when they book their 2026 Alaska cruises...

I wondered about this.  

Don't forget about the hotels across the water in downtown Bellevue: there's W, Westin, Hyatt Regency, and the Intercontinental just opened. All four/five star.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Already published!

image.png.98baf59b6ecf8ef3d22977ec60edafc9.png

Thanks.  I actually meant the Alaska sailing schedules which I believe is what OP was referring to, but this is really helpful to have too.

Edited by atexsix

5 hours ago, atexsix said:

Thanks.  I actually meant the Alaska sailing schedules which I believe is what OP was referring to, but this is really helpful to have too.

Silly me!  I just presumed it was the World Cup schedules you were referring to.  I had overlooked the fact that Alaska 26 cruises are not on sale yet, mainly because we have no interest in Alaska cruises.  Don't need cold, damp, miserable.....we have enough of that here, already 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Roz said:

Miami is holding six or eight games towards the end of the cup

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Silly me!  I just presumed it was the World Cup schedules you were referring to.  I had overlooked the fact that Alaska 26 cruises are not on sale yet, mainly because we have no interest in Alaska cruises.  Don't need cold, damp, miserable.....we have enough of that here, already 🙄

Not silly at all, it really is good to have them, it's going to be a major impact to the region.  

• Thanks 1

I’ve sailed Alaska cruises out of Seattle a couple of times.  I’ve always booked through HAL and extended my stay to the number of days I wanted.  The rates have stayed at what I booked, eventhough they went up on the HAL website.

• Like 1

As with everything you should shop around and compare rates.

The Vancouver hotel rates are very expensive before our Alaskan cruise in September. I had never booked a pre cruise hotel with HAL before and someone on our roll call suggested it. The HAL rate for this trip, was much cheaper at the Fairmont than booking direct, when I booked it in March. It includes transfers from the airport and to the ship - although they aren’t a big deal for us. 

I am still tracking the rates direct with the hotel to compare, out of curiosity, and while they have come down slightly, the room rate with HAL still works out cheaper. 

You can always book the hotel package with HAL as a backup so you don’t miss out, and cancel it if you find something better.

• Like 3

I have also booked a well-located, very nice pre cruise HAL hotel which included transfers and found it to be slightly LESS expensive than booking the same hotel direct. Since airport/hotel and hotel/ship transfers were included, and transfer staff was excellent, it was a very good value. 

Agree with the OP, that the WC is going to cause real hotel/restaurant issues in both Seattle and Vancouver.  DW and already made it clear that we will be gong nowhere in the Northwest around that time (good time to head back to Europe).  I would not count on HAL for hotels,  As mentioned, they usually only have a 1 night package and you will generally pay about double what it costs to book the same/comparable, or better on your own.  That being said, getting a room during the WC will be ridiculous.  You might be OK if you book a year in advance, but I would assume the prices will be inflated.

Speaking of the WC, just head yesterday that Brazilians are already complaining because of the difficulty and long lead time to get a US Visa.

Hank

• Like 1