Bring wine on board?

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

It’s pretty common here if you want to bring a birthday cake. My friend was told a 2 tiered cake for 50 would be $750, she happily paid the cake fee for the $50 cake she brought.

That is interesting. 

If you don't mind, can you clarify where "here" is?  No big deal if you care not to.

I would not be surprised if I had never heard of such an idea before because I suspect that there are multiple laws (municipal, county and state) regulating the bringing of food into a restaurant in my here.

11 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I definitely bring on more than 2 bottles.

This was a few years ago when we did the HAL Voyage of the Vikings which was about 30 days with some friends of ours who liked their wine.  The brought 2 cases (cases - not bottles) of wine on boards.  I think at that time HAL did not charge a corkage fee but if they did our friends would have been glad to pay it.

DON

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I interpreted your comment about restaurants trying to recover missed revenue as a negative.  Rereading your comment, I can see that I put my own spin on your words.

I apologize.

However, restaurants also do justify charging a corkage fee by citing the fact that they provide clean stemware for the table--not just open the bottle.

I had never heard of a cake fee.  Very interesting.

Read this article from the NY Times that was printed several years ago on cakeage - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/dining/cakeage-restaurants.html

DON

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XBGuy said:

That is interesting. 

If you don't mind, can you clarify where "here" is?  No big deal if you care not to.

I would not be surprised if I had never heard of such an idea before because I suspect that there are multiple laws (municipal, county and state) regulating the bringing of food into a restaurant in my here.

NJ, NYC metro area. Many non chain restaurants, mostly independent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This was a few years ago when we did the HAL Voyage of the Vikings which was about 30 days with some friends of ours who liked their wine.  The brought 2 cases (cases - not bottles) of wine on boards.  I think at that time HAL did not charge a corkage fee but if they did our friends would have been glad to pay it.

DON

HAL used to allow you to bring wine aboard for cabin consumption at every port. It was a really nice feature for European cruises. Sadly, they no longer allow it. 

10 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

NJ, NYC metro area. Many non chain restaurants, mostly independent.

Several Italian and some Chinese restaurants in Dallas on byob. I believe my favorite Chinese restaurant in New York City is still byob , Peking house on Mott street which has a fantastic Peking duck . Some upscale charge 50 a bottle for corkage, many are no charge. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

Several Italian and some Chinese restaurants in Dallas on byob. I believe my favorite Chinese restaurant in New York City is still byob , Peking house on Mott street which has a fantastic Peking duck . Some upscale charge 50 a bottle for corkage, many are no charge. 

I'm not a beer drinker but I never have wine with Chinese food. Tsingtao beer is it for us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George C said:

The vast majority of restaurants are byob in my area, liquor licenses are limited and very expensive. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

I'm not a beer drinker but I never have wine with Chinese food. Tsingtao beer is it for us.

FYI, the popular wines with Chinese (or Thai or Indian) food are Gewurztraminer or Riesling.

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

FYI, the popular wines with Chinese (or Thai or Indian) food are Gewurztraminer or Riesling.

Thanks. Good recommendations. I'll try that. I wonder if our fave dim sum place even has wine.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2024 at 4:37 PM, MCC retired said:

The answer is right there on your chosen cruise line website.

No corkage fees on wine bottles that do not leave your cabin .

Pour your wine in a yeti cup to take around with you on the ship ( by the pool. etc). Ask  at any bar for wine glasses to take to your cabin. Pour a glass before dinner and take it with you to the MDR or buffet:  as long as you don't carry the Bottle around, you will not have to pay a corkage fee.