Plastic zip ties to prevent reclining?

You know, it just dawned on me, this would be a perfect question to ask the Captain at the Captain's Q&A session they usually hold onboard.  "Why are there plastic ties being used to prevent me from turning my balcony chair into a recliner?" 

I'll have to check our chairs when we sail on Solstice to see if they are configured like this or not. 

49 minutes ago, cruisetime5 said:

Just off the reflection. Our balcony chairs indeed had zipties.🤣20240824_144245.thumb.jpg.a3afa355d804653536c4b7477cfb5066.jpg

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You know, it just dawned on me, this would be a perfect question to ask the Captain at the Captain's Q&A session they usually hold onboard.  "Why are there plastic ties being used to prevent me from turning my balcony chair into a recliner?" 

I'll have to check our chairs when we sail on Solstice to see if they are configured like this or not. 

I'm trying to remember if we've had that style of chair. I can kind of see the safety problem without even needing to measure it. The center of gravity of the chair is under the seat "cushion" and if reclined the weight distribution shifts beyond the feet of the chair. One very nice fulcrum. Have people had them tip over getting out of a reclined chair? They look almost designed to tip over!

The loungers have weight distributed throughout the length of the lounger; on most of them the frame is a long as the surface. Not on those chairs.

I can kind of visualize the meeting between the contracting department and the vendor rep on this one. "They're tipping over!" "They're only supposed to be flat to ship and store." "Well people are reclining them all the way back. What do we do?" "Use something that keeps them from reclining." "Zip ties!" And the vendor doesn't have to replace the chairs (for now).

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 4:15 PM, whitbob said:

Here are the balcony chair/footstool currently on Silhouette.  AQ room.  No zip ties, but they have the ‘safety’ notice.  

The room steward didn’t mention the balcony chairs, but he took the time to show us the step up to the bathroom and repeated a cautionary message twice about being careful not to trip.  

IMG_6668.jpeg

IMG_6669.jpeg

We are still on the Silhouette.  Just noticed today that our 2 balcony chairs have been Zip Tied.  

I guess the issue is the chairs are designed to have 3 reclining positions non of them are to lay flat.  But people are raising the bar completely and laying the back flat.  Boy that seems very uncomfortable to me if there is no foot rest!

They have been using these chairs for years so I wonder what instigated the big safety issue now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

They have been using these chairs for years so I wonder what instigated the big safety issue now.

I have the same question and keep waiting for someone to say they brought it up at the Captain's Q&A session but I guess no one has bothered to do that so far. 

On 8/24/2024 at 10:44 AM, phoenix_dream said:

apologies - I forgot that.

Interesting that so far only the Reflection is reporting this.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it is that ship that is starting the 3 and 4 night sailings which attract an entirely different (and likely rowdier) crowd, as well as a lot more kids.  Hmmm.  So tens of thousands all need to suffer because a few people can't behave themselves.  

I will be on Reflection at the end of the month. Sailing in Concierge class so I should have the reclining lounge chairs. Will report back on the Zip ties, rowdier crowd and tons of kids.🙄

• Like 1

Are passengers even allowed to bring zip ties on the ship?  For various reasons I know they are prohibited in some places.    

A recent nice resort hotel we stayed at had at their pool a small number of similar chairs with one major difference.  The legs were not crossed like these are.  Rather they were not collapsible. The back reclined all the way down and to different positions based on the selected groove.  These chairs are used in a high traffic area and seemed as stable as any other pool lounger.  

Edited by Cap_D

11 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Are passengers even allowed to bring zip ties on the ship?  For various reasons I know they are prohibited in some places.    

A recent nice resort hotel we stayed at had at their pool a small number of similar chairs with one major difference.  The legs were not crossed like these are.  Rather they were not collapsible. The back reclined all the way down and to different positions based on the selected groove.  These chairs are used in a high traffic area and seemed as stable as any other pool lounger.  

Yes passengers are allowed to bring zip ties on the ship. Zip ties are not a prohibited item.

We were on Summit for the August 16 sailing. I can confirm there were zip ties on the chairs on both balconies. I also didn't feel the need to take a picture. In addition, the chairs were positioned at such an angle that it was very uncomfortable to even try to lean back so we had to sit upright, without even using the backrest portion of the chairs. The zip ties were so tight around the chair frame that the small clippers I had with me were of no use. 

1 hour ago, desertlily7 said:

We were on Summit for the August 16 sailing. I can confirm there were zip ties on the chairs on both balconies.

The zip ties were so tight around the chair frame that the small clippers I had with me were of no use. 

Balconies associated with which class cabin?  Looking to see if there's a trend developing related to the amount of space on a veranda.

Next time, grab a big steak knife from Tuscan. 😉

We were in 8146 and 8161 - so a little bit of a larger balcony than standard… I’m not going to remember the stateroom category. And you’re right! Something sharper/larger would’ve done the trick. I have to say the thing that struck me was how close and tight the zip ties were to the chair frame. It would’ve taken “sawing” vs. “clipping” to get them off. I think.🤔 

Just an FYI I'm on Royal's Wonder of the Seas now and our chair are as have been described and have both a sign on top back bar "do not lay flat" as well as having the zip ties.

So I don't think it is exclusive to Celebrity, but something happened with that design of chair and RCG made a safety decision 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Just an FYI I'm on Royal's Wonder of the Seas now and our chair are as have been described and have both a sign on top back bar "do not lay flat" as well as having the zip ties.

So I don't think it is exclusive to Celebrity, but something happened with that design of chair and RCG made a safety decision 

Wait, what??  It's not a conspiracy against Celebrity cruisers??

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Liao said:

Wait, what??  It's not a conspiracy against Celebrity cruisers??

Just reporting what I just experienced.

After reading this thread for a while, I'd say No to conspiracy against Celebrity 

• Like 1