Live: Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean Aug 25

Kids went to teen club so I’m all alone. Figured I would try stand by for Grease (we have reservations later in the week). Got in. While waiting in line, lots of folks just breezed on in without getting scanned…

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

No idea! My card says 8:30 deck 3 table 385. Which implies same time and table each night. Except I don’t want that. At all. I selected MTD and then made reservations for different times each night to fit in with our plans.

Yeah not sure how that happened but you have late traditional dining.  When you have MTD, that’s what the card says “MTD”.  Guest services?  The podium at the MDR during the day so it’s not busy?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Kids went to teen club so I’m all alone. Figured I would try stand by for Grease (we have reservations later in the week). Got in. While waiting in line, lots of folks just breezed on in without getting scanned…

We did a couple of shows stand by and noticed the same thing... if more than one person were "together", only one sea pass card would be scanned and the rest would be waved through.  

• Like 1

Sorry I was MIA last night. Wifi went out!

It seems I was not alone with the dining snafu. A bunch of folks in our group said they also had their reservations disappear or switch to different times. I will go to the desk at some point today to try to get it sorted out!

• Like 8

Grease!

Disclaimer : I work in the arts/entertainment sector and spend a lot of time working at the theatre. I’ve seen a lot of shows, and musicals are my favourite live entertainment. I must have seen Grease about 30 times - from high school productions to professional broadway shows. They would have to do something REALLY bad for me to not like it. I liked this show just fine..,

The singing and dancing get a solid 10/10. Those kids are talented and I smiled at every bit of nostalgic memories. The acting…ouch. That’s where things went south for me! I get it - it’s tough to find a triple threat. I imagine finding one willing to work on cruise ships is even tougher. But then I question why the cruise lines go this route? Personally, I would have preferred an hour of all the singing and dancing (which truly was fantastic) and just skip the spoken storylines. Not saying I didn’t enjoy it, but the forced accents and bad emphasis was almost painful at times. Having said that, I will watch it again with the kids in a couple of days…

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

• Like 13

After the show let it out, I was planning on going to balloon drop but really needed water. This is when the wifi crapped out and I couldn’t check in on DS (I assumed he would be done with teen club by this point). I stopped in at boot and bonnet and there were almost shenanigans…iykyk 

The seats at the bar were all taken so I just stood behind a couple of guys and tried to get the attention of the bartender. I just wanted to grab a bottle to go. The four guys were so sweet and one got up for me to have his seat. I actually didn’t need a seat. Just a water. No dice with getting the bartender to notice me. So then I got chatting to the guys. I think they must have barely been drinking age but were so fun. Suddenly, two bottles of water appeared and one of them joked that it was in them. These kids were raised right. Now I had a tough decision to make…hang out for shenanigans or be responsible and go check on my kid (stupid wifi). I was a model mom and said my goodbyes. 

DS was in bed (it was almost midnight) when I got back and didn’t want to do the balloon drop so I called it a night too. DD rolled in at exactly 1am (teen curfew). 

What a fabulous first day!!!

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that I’m trying out a new “hangover prevention “ this trip. It’s tough (and expensive) to find the popular ones most folk post on here, so I found a Canadian brand that had good reviews. It’s a pill form (I prefer that to powder) and I forgot to take it before I started drinking yesterday. I did grab one before dinner. Not sure how effective it was, but I do feel fine this morning!

IMG_4619.jpeg

• Like 12

GM. Hope you're having a wonderful cruise despite some hurdles.  That's so frustrating about your dining.  Seems like they switched you to late traditional for some reason.  When we get our sea pass cards, the first thing we do is check out our table in the MDR.  If any issues, we talk to them right away as they are always at dining when you board.  (We like to sit at a table with just our party).  I guess for next time, it's good to know.

For Grease, that's disappointing.  If you are in theatre, obviously you have a real eye for this stuff.  You mention that you would have preferred just the singing and dancing.  Sadly, Royal seems to be stopping performing Broadway shows and just keeping their own  in house shows + headliners.  I love their Broadway so am sad about this, but I can see it be not as enjoyable if the bad acting stuck out.  We saw Grease on Independence years ago and loved it, and look forward to it on Harmony a year Dec.  Of course, it will be a different cast by then so hopefully better.

Hoping no more disappointments for you. Overall, it seems like you're having a good time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

After the show let it out, I was planning on going to balloon drop but really needed water. This is when the wifi crapped out and I couldn’t check in on DS (I assumed he would be done with teen club by this point). I stopped in at boot and bonnet and there were almost shenanigans…iykyk 

The seats at the bar were all taken so I just stood behind a couple of guys and tried to get the attention of the bartender. I just wanted to grab a bottle to go. The four guys were so sweet and one got up for me to have his seat. I actually didn’t need a seat. Just a water. No dice with getting the bartender to notice me. So then I got chatting to the guys. I think they must have barely been drinking age but were so fun. Suddenly, two bottles of water appeared and one of them joked that it was in them. These kids were raised right. Now I had a tough decision to make…hang out for shenanigans or be responsible and go check on my kid (stupid wifi). I was a model mom and said my goodbyes. 

DS was in bed (it was almost midnight) when I got back and didn’t want to do the balloon drop so I called it a night too. DD rolled in at exactly 1am (teen curfew). 

What a fabulous first day!!!

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

I hope columbus the musical is on your list of must sees. I have a musical background and know all these Broadway plays and imo grease isnt a favorite. On the other hand I loved columbus the musical. There are so many set changes if its rocky it will be cancelled so be sure on get in to see it. Its surprisingly cute. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

OK I need input from RC cruisers here. I always sail with the drink package and sample all the cocktails. On every other line, I would say alcohol content is low as I can drink all day and not feel drunk. After 3 on this ship, I was buzzed. I’m now on 5. Definitely drunk. Do they just add more alcohol? Or actually make the drinks as they should be made?

Stop the extra tipping. 😄

• Haha 3

DD had booked a hair blowout for 9am this morning, so we were up early. The ship feels empty! Where does everyone go??? 

We hit up Johnny rockets for breakfast. It was fast and easy and the food was ok. Then we headed to the spa to drop DD (I wasn’t sure if I needed to sign anything given she is still a minor - I didn’t). While there, I grabbed a chai latte (happy it’s covered with the drink package).

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4645.jpeg

• Like 8

If I’m understanding correctly, the breakfast is complimentary but delivery for the American breakfast is $7.95? Not that I think we will do the room service, but nice to have the option.

IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4647.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

If I’m understanding correctly, the breakfast is complimentary but delivery for the American breakfast is $7.95? Not that I think we will do the room service, but nice to have the option.

IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4647.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

IMG_4649.jpeg

Continental breakfast is complimentary. Anything else is 7.95 for as much as you want to order. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I obviously didn’t research well enough. I didn’t bring any body wash/shampoo etc. I’m not sure how this will work out…

I would not use body wash on my hair. Hope it works out for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

So the pool bar has a smoking area right next to it. I don’t love that.

There is also pool on the starboard side, with a bar there on deck 15.  No cooking on that side of the ship.

20 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I feel like I’ve never cruised before. I’m so overwhelmed. Everything is new. I’m constantly lost. I keep getting distracted. I’m sure I haven’t even found a portion of the ship!

You have 7 days onboard the ultimate escape room, Harmony of the Seas. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They make drinks as they should be made.

Once you find your "regular" hang out and get to know the bartender(s) they will take good care of you.

Sorry noone mentioned about combo shampoo/bodywash.   I always pack my own products wherever I go so I forget to mention to people cruising on Royal ships.

It's nice once you hit 340 points because then you get the individual shampoo, conditioners, bath gel and lotions.    I do carry on only always, so don't take things like that.

• Like 2

This morning we had our gift exchange with the group. It was well attended and everyone gave and got three gifts. There were some very creative gifts and it was lots of fun!

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4658.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4660.jpeg

• Like 12

DD got her blowout this morning (she treated herself to the 3 blowouts for $149) and was very happy with the result! DS and I went to ride The Abyss (remember he rode it yesterday and told me it complete darkness and super fast?) I didn’t have that experience at all. One section was dark but the rest had lights, and I didn’t find it particularly fast. DS went down after me and confirmed that side of the slide was completely different. Hmmm. Now I’m going to have to try the other side!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Lunch was at Hibachi. We all love this experience so pre-reserved ahead of time. It was a rough start - we sat for about 15 minutes with zero interaction from waiters. Finally, our waiter came over - I think he was new, and he also had a LOT of difficulty understanding us and us him (I’m speaking for the whole table). It took a long time to order as we had to repeat everything several times. I asked if I could get drinks (that hadn’t happened either) and he looked confused until he realized the drink menu was in his hand and not with us. When the drinks came, he gave DD (17) the cocktail and me the coke. Oops.

Thankfully, our chef was outstanding, the performance was fun, the food delicious! It was the longest lunch in the world, though…we were in there for two and a half hours!

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4680.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

IMG_4689.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

IMG_4691.jpeg

IMG_4692.jpeg