New to Royal Advice Please!!!`

Hi all!
I am a Celebrity Elite cruiser coming over to Royal for a family vacation with the 8 of us total. My kids and their SO's are all in their mid-20s. We got connecting balcony rooms on Icon of the Seas for the Caribbean in April 2026. ANY advice or tips is greatly appreciated as the last time we sailed Royal was in 2009 in Alaska.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?  It would be easier to answer your query.

You will be Diamond on RCCL.  

What are the free dining rooms?

is the ice skating or water slides extra?

If someone has sailed both celebrity and rc what would be the main differences

also any ideas on what to suggest my 20 yr olds to do and what would a old lady and guy (early to mid 50s) could find fun?

i usually sail in upper level suites in celebrity so I’m used to everything being in the cruise price.

I realize it won’t be that way in a balcony on royal so trying to budget so nothing gets missed due to $$.

Edited by samplecd02

Wait until Black Friday week to book things like drink packages and dining because they'll likely go on their best sales during that time.

If you want to purchase internet, select the Internet package for just 1 person, and then buy the number of devices you want to use (so for example, if all 8 people want internet, buy internet for 8 devices for 1 person....if 8 devices is even an option, I'm not sure if it goes up that hight). It will be cheaper this way than buying 1 device for all 8 people individually. 1 person will set up the Internet account and then share their login and password with the other 8 (or however many) people too use. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You may want to check out prices for the Surfside Family Suites (sky class), as this is one of the cheapest full suite options. Icon has a very nice suites only neighborhood where you and your whole family could go if you book these suites. If you choose a Jr suite, there are some that are just regular and some that are "sky" class with the included suite perks, so choose wisely. We'll be in a Surfside Family Suite in November of next year and can't wait! Good luck in choosing the best rooms for you and your family!

Oh and go on U-tube and watch several of the recent videos/tours for the Icon, as some are very informative. I prefer to watch JJCruise and Harr Travel to watch the tours! Enjoy!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

You may want to check out prices for the Surfside Family Suites (sky class), as this is one of the cheapest full suite options. Icon has a very nice suites only neighborhood where you and your whole family could go if you book these suites. If you choose a Jr suite, there are some that are just regular and some that are "sky" class with the included suite perks, so choose wisely. We'll be in a Surfside Family Suite in November of next year and can't wait! Good luck in choosing the best rooms for you and your family!

Oh and go on U-tube and watch several of the recent videos/tours for the Icon, as some are very informative. I prefer to watch JJCruise and Harr Travel to watch the tours! Enjoy!

Thanks so much

i have to put everyone in their each set of rooms or they will bicker even at 20 something years old 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samplecd02 said:

Thanks so much

i have to put everyone in their each set of rooms or they will bicker even at 20 something years old 🙄

Ah yes, I remember those years. Have a great family cruise! We're taking our adult kids and their significant others in February, 2026. Very much looking forward to that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samplecd02 said:

If someone has sailed both celebrity and rc what would be the main differences

I cruise 1-2 times a month on both RCI and X, although I cruise more often on RCI. These are the biggest differences I consistently see:

1) A LOT more kids on RCI ships. 

2) Food is better on X, although keep in mind food is subjective. 
3) You have to “checkout” pool towels on RCI, unlike on X ships. 
4) There are more late night entertainment options on RCI ships. 
5) X ships tend to be more laid back and relaxing while there is usually lots of things going on around RCI ships from early morning to late at night. 

In general I think you will find a lot more similarities than difference between RCI and X. Going on Icon should be a great experience for your family. I am in my late 50s so Icon wasn’t exactly my favorite ship/cruise, although I have it booked again later this year so it wasn’t that bad. But your kids are right in RCI’s target zone for Icon cruises.  

• Like 3

** Enjoy the Central Park area, in the day or night -- does Celebrity have anything like that (?!).

It's beautiful, with trees, bushes, flowers, and even bird and cricket noises piped in! You have to be quiet and listen closely. And eat at the Park Cafe, which is included in your basic cruise fare. The roast beef sandwich is delicious!! I also enjoyed just popping in there for an easy breakfast, as opposed to fighting the crowds at the Buffet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeedToVacation said:

** Enjoy the Central Park area, in the day or night -- does Celebrity have anything like that (?!).

It's beautiful, with trees, bushes, flowers, and even bird and cricket noises piped in! You have to be quiet and listen closely. And eat at the Park Cafe, which is included in your basic cruise fare. The roast beef sandwich is delicious!! I also enjoyed just popping in there for an easy breakfast, as opposed to fighting the crowds at the Buffet.

Celebrity does not have anything like that as far as I know for the Central Park type area

Eden which is only on edge class and a specialty restaurant probably comes the closest but that’s still a big difference

5 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

any ideas on what to suggest my 20 yr olds to do and what would a old lady and guy (early to mid 50s) could find fun

My husband and I are mid to late 50's :  we LOVED the water slides on Symphony of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas -- HA!!

I thoroughly enjoyed doing the Zipline across the back of the ship! I rode the Carousel at the Boardwalk. (Didn't enjoy the dry slides, "Ultimate Abyss", as much just because they're so tight that I come out of them very dizzy!!)

Make sure to book a reservation early for the show at the Aqua Theater - it's AWESOME!! Look up the schedule on the app on the first day you board. They only can seat so many people at each show. And maybe don't sit in the first 3 or 4 Rows, they are "the Splash Zone"!

And show up early for seating at the Ice Skating Show of your choice. Those shows are spectacular!! Maybe wear an extra layer of clothing, or bring a blanket because it gets chilly in there, just waiting for the show to start. You won't get seats together (or maybe at all) unless you get there about 30-40 minutes in advance - although they did reserve the best seating areas (on Symphony of the Seas) in the venue for certain levels of frequent cruisers... Not sure how high Diamond Level is.

I haven't sailed Royal  in a long time, what is the dress code on the ships.I am sailing the Odyssey of the Seas January 16th. Also I am Elite on Celebrity. What does that give me as far as perks!

8 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

I realize it won’t be that way in a balcony on royal so trying to budget so nothing gets missed due to $$

The next time, pick something other than the most expensive ship in the fleet. Your Icon fare would likely get you a suite on most other ships in the fleet.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The next time, pick something other than the most expensive ship in the fleet. Your Icon fare would likely get you a suite on most other ships in the fleet.

I chose it for the kids and me but thank you for your input.

i understand as on the upper level suites on edge class on celebrity that  I normally get would prob buy me 2 cruises in an upper class on the older ships

Edited by samplecd02

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, samplecd02 said:

I chose it for the kids and me but thank you for your input.

They would have probably enjoyed one of the newer Oasis class ships just as well. Heck, a 20-year-old might like Quantum class even more. 

Edited by Biker19

Posted (edited)

Celebrity cruiser here (although we do like to try other lines).  We are just off the Oasis of the Seas with our family of 15 (7 of which kids from 3 to 13) on a Med cruise.    

Your Elite status on Celebrity puts you at Diamond on RC.  Each day your sea card will be loaded with 4 free drinks.   Our adult kids enjoyed getting one drink per day free from us.   

The Diamond Lounge on Oasis was in a terrible area (no windows) but a nice place for some quiet (our cruise was packed with kids as expected). The lounge had a nice breakfast spread, afternoon snacks and cookies.  

Shows were amazing and while we booked them all in advance, the only one that they were turning non reserved people away was the Aqua Show.   GO!  

We all had a ball.  Having said that, for us RCI is the way to go with family groups as there was a ton of fun things for the kids to do.       

Edited by Mimiya11
  • Like 2

Waterslides, Flow Rider, mini golf, and ice skating are free.  I believe the only attraction that costs extra right now is the Crown's Edge.  If they have the escape room or laser tag up and running there may be an additional cost for those as well.