The Retreat - What is NOT included...?

Sunseeker7

We have just booked two sky suites for 2025 on Ascent having not cruised before on Celebrity. But despite wading thought The Retreat FAQs on the website and T&Cs, I am finding it really difficult to understand what extra charges there will be, especially for drinks. I know it includes the Premium drinks package (up to $17 - in most places??) but then I read no drinks are included in the main dining room assigned to The Retreat - Luminae. Really? Are the coffee shops not included, even though coffees are - so confused! Are gratuities for coffee shops if pre-paid these? If anyone can clarify what is NOT included I think that would make it much easier. If we want a true all inclusive experience do we need to buy an additional drinks package? (I am not bothered about paying a supplement for certain drinks over the $17 but I do love a cappuccino first thing!). Thank you!

If you have a Premium drinks package then your drinks up to the limit stated are included at all bars and the coffee shop and all restaurants including Luminae.

I think what is confusing you is Sky Suite guests without a drinks package only get free drinks in the Suite Lounge. They would pay for drinks in the suite restaurant, suite deck area and elsewhere around the ship.

We always cruise with the premium package and the only thing we ever pay for is an occasional up charge for a better wine. In this case if you choose a glass of wine at $20 and your package covers you for $17 then you would have $3 +20% added. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I didn't realise the suites could be accessed without the premium drinks as part of the retreat and then premium drinks not be included - but I guess that could happen if you got an upgrade?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunseeker7 said:

Thanks. I didn't realise the suites could be accessed without the premium drinks as part of the retreat and then premium drinks not be included - but I guess that could happen if you got an upgrade?

Exactly. I have seen a few posts also where guests have managed to book suites without a drinks package (perhaps last minute?). I think they have then been surprised and disappointed that they cannot get ‘free’ drinks outside the Retreat Lounge, they were expecting to be able to get beverages in all suite areas.

Minibar inclusion is a bit of a grey area for Sky Suites. Some reporting that their bar is stocked with their preferred sodas, beers and water and others not so. I would suggest as you board you check with your butler. If they say the minibar is not included then ask them to empty it then simply next time you visit a bar stock it up with what you want…This is common practice in all rooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a ‘normal cabin’ (ex infinity veranda) without ordering the drink and Wifi and ‘win’ a Upgrade to a Sky Suite you will not have any drink pkg unless you pay for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sunseeker7 said:

The only Sky Suite Guests who would not have a Premium Drink Package (and Premium WiFi) are those who acquired a Sky Suite through "MoveUp" and had not purchased either with their original booking - they might have bought "Classic" or nothing. That said, they would likely be served Premium Drinks in the Retreat Area.  When we did MoveUp from Aqua Class to a Sky Suite we maintained our Classic Drink Package, and outside of the Retreat had to pay an upcharge for any drink costing more than $10.  Our Suite Stateroom Key stated - Classic Drinks.

An "Upgrade" is not the same as "MoveUp".  With an upgrade you rebook, pay the difference from your original booking and receive all Sky Suite benefits as if you had booked a Sky Site originally - including the full Captain's Club Benefits that doesn't come with MoveUp.  We have done that as well, and our Classic Drink Package and WiFi was replaced with Premium.

Edited by Andy_P
  • Like 3

Havent cruised Celebrity since 2001, but have a Sky Suite booked for 2026.  I note that the Premium package includes all drinks up to $17, but the Luminae specialty cocktails are all $18.  I'm sure this is intentional, but it seems like a bit of a slap in the face for them to feel they have to nickel and dime their suite guests out of an extra buck.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sunseeker7 said:

We have just booked two sky suites for 2025 on Ascent having not cruised before on Celebrity. But despite wading thought The Retreat FAQs on the website and T&Cs, I am finding it really difficult to understand what extra charges there will be, especially for drinks. I know it includes the Premium drinks package (up to $17 - in most places??) but then I read no drinks are included in the main dining room assigned to The Retreat - Luminae. Really? Are the coffee shops not included, even though coffees are - so confused! Are gratuities for coffee shops if pre-paid these? If anyone can clarify what is NOT included I think that would make it much easier. If we want a true all inclusive experience do we need to buy an additional drinks package? (I am not bothered about paying a supplement for certain drinks over the $17 but I do love a cappuccino first thing!). Thank you!

Up to the $ max per drink, all of your beverages are included.  Booking Retreat also means you have ALL of the gratuities included and already paid.  Nothing else is required so anything additional is totally at your discretion.

We are on the Beyond and the Luminae dinner menu doesn’t have any noticeable changes with the exception of the Daniel Boulud  Signature dishes that changed a year or more ago.  

We have only gone to Luminae once in 4 nights and didn’t look at the Signature cocktail but if we go there tonight I’ll check the prices 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sailed in a SS on the Ascent in January of this year..was never asked for an upcharge (we didn't order any wine above the premium package wine)...service on the two Retreat Pool decks was great.  Nice outdoor lunch is offered there too..

What is not included are your room gratuities.. we just let them accrue on our account and they go on the CC we have on file when disembarking...

We requested ICE and some water in our room, we got it..the retreat lounge was good for picking up cokes, etc and taking them back to the room.  But any bar will give you an unopened coke, water etc to take to your room if you request.  The retreat lounge vibe was not our thing...we only went in there 2-3 times...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liao said:

Up to the $ max per drink, all of your beverages are included.  Booking Retreat also means you have ALL of the gratuities included and already paid.  Nothing else is required so anything additional is totally at your discretion.

Gratuities? Not any more.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Liao said:

Booking Retreat also means you have ALL of the gratuities included and already paid.  

I do not believe this to be correct at this time.  The room would have to have been booked long ago..wasn't it before October of last year?  Or the year before?  

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I do not believe this to be correct at this time.  The room would have to have been booked long ago..wasn't it before October of last year?  Or the year before?  

Correct.  And OP said they just booked.  Changed October 2023.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You are indeed correct!  Sorry about that OP.

3 minutes ago, 39august said:

I don't see Elegance chardonnay on the list. Has that been priced out of the premium package? And I didn't know La Crema was covered. 

By the glass, now $25.  By the bottle, $80.

If you want to drink it, the better deal, is of course to take your hits $8 at a time by the glass.  No way you'd get 10 glasses out of a bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Exactly. I have seen a few posts also where guests have managed to book suites without a drinks package (perhaps last minute?). I think they have then been surprised and disappointed that they cannot get ‘free’ drinks outside the Retreat Lounge, they were expecting to be able to get beverages in all suite areas.

Minibar inclusion is a bit of a grey area for Sky Suites. Some reporting that their bar is stocked with their preferred sodas, beers and water and others not so. I would suggest as you board you check with your butler. If they say the minibar is not included then ask them to empty it then simply next time you visit a bar stock it up with what you want…This is common practice in all rooms.

We do a music charter every year on celebrity, on that sky suites can only get free drinks in retreat , since it’s a M class no bar in outdoor retreat . But Royal suites get the premium drink package included, plus normal royal suite perks.

2 hours ago, Sunseeker7 said:

Thanks all. Yes SJC - I noticed that too! I would be interested to see the latest menus if anyone has them as I understand they have been refreshed very recently.

Penny wise, pound foolish IMO.