Does a U.S. citizen flying back from Europe through London need an ESTA?

JHUNTGOLF

I originally posted the question below on the British Isles Port of Call forum.  The answer I got was an ESTA isn’t needed.  However, it was suggested that I also post it on the Cruise Air forum to see what others have experienced.

I’m hoping someone on this forum can help me.  I’m on an upcoming Celebrity Cruise (the Ascent) departing from Barcelona, Spain on September 2, 2024, and returning to Barcelona on September 14..  I’m flying on British Airways from Atlanta, Georgia through London Heathrow to Barcelona and returning from Barcelona through London Heathrow back to Atlanta.  I’m a U.S. citizen traveling with a valid U.S. passport.  On British Airways website, I completed all required preflight information.  I then had this pop up on the website:

All passengers require a valid visa or ESTA to enter the USA

Who should apply for an ESTA?

An ESTA is the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. You should apply if you're a citizen of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program, and don't already have a valid visa.

You must now apply no later than 72 hours before your flight's departure time. If you don't have an ESTA or valid visa you may not be able to board your flight to the USA.

As a U.S. citizen traveling with a U.S. passport, I don’t think I need an ESTA to enter the USA.  However, I’ve tried to get a definitive answer from the U.S. Customs and Border Control and British Airways, and all I get from them is a bureaucratic “nonanswer.”  I thought this was a simple question, but it doesn’t appear to be.  I’m hoping the Cruise Critic community may have the answer for me.  Does a U.S. citizen traveling with a valid U.S. passport on British Airways need an ESTA to fly back to the U.S. from London?  Thanks so much for your help.

John

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

No - as by fbgd

But from 2025 you’ll need a ETIAS when entering Europe (Schengen Area).

So here's a question- we have a cruise in 2025, at which point ETIAS should be up and running.  The cruise leaves from and returns to Southhampton, and since the UK isn't Schengen, we won't need ETIAS to fly into the UK.  The cruise visits ports in ETIAS-required countries, but as cruise passengers we won't officially "enter" those countries.  Am I correct in thinking we won't need ETIAS for that trip, or will we?  I can't find a link to anything that addresses this specificallly.

16 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

The cruise visits ports in ETIAS-required countries, but as cruise passengers we won't officially "enter" those countries. 

Correction....as cruise passengers you most assuredly enter those countries.

My passports have been filled with entry/exit stamps from dozens of cruise ports.  So get the ETIAS....it's not like it's a huge inconvenience or cost.  (Unlike some cruise ports where a single entry visa costs upwards of $75 for one day).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

So here's a question- we have a cruise in 2025, at which point ETIAS should be up and running.

You will not need ETIAS for entering UK but be aware of UK implementing a similar system - (UK ETA).

Am I correct in thinking we won't need ETIAS for that trip, or will we?

- you’ll likely need an ETIAS for cruise stops in Schengen Area 

It is not yet certain when and how ETIAS will be implemented during 2025 and it is also expected that there will be transitional arrangements. This is the general expectations in connection with cruises to the Schengen area.

For one-way starting from a foreign port cruises including UK with a final disembarkation port in Schengen: 

Carriers to check visa / ETIAS information before embarkation.

Need to register in EES (Schengen Entry - Exit system)

Round-trip starting from a foreign port including UK:

Carriers to check visa / ETIAS validity before embarkation.

No registration in EES required for transit stops at Schengen Ports.

Edited by hallasm

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Correction....as cruise passengers you most assuredly enter those countries.

My passports have been filled with entry/exit stamps from dozens of cruise ports.  So get the ETIAS....it's not like it's a huge inconvenience or cost.  (Unlike some cruise ports where a single entry visa costs upwards of $75 for one day).

I think it depends on the itinerary; we've done loads of cruise ports without showing passports.  It does make sense that if our cruise leaves from the UK and then visits Schengen ports we would have to show passport at the first one but not every single one.  I have no opposition to getting ETIAS, just finding the info to be very vague since it's not active yet. 

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

You will not need ETIAS for entering UK but be aware of UK implementing a similar system - (UK ETA).

- you’ll likely need an ETIAS for cruise stops in Schengen Area 

It is not yet certain when and how ETIAS will be implemented during 2025 and it is also expected that there will be transitional arrangements. This is the general expectations in connection with cruises to the Schengen area.

For one-way starting from a foreign port cruises including UK with a final disembarkation port in Schengen: 

Carriers to check visa / ETIAS information before embarkation.

Need to register in EES (Schengen Entry - Exit system)

Round-trip starting from a foreign port including UK:

Carriers to check visa / ETIAS validity before embarkation.

No registration in EES required for transit stops at Schengen Ports.

Thank you, this would have been my guess, just couldn't find the info anywhere.  And I do recall the UK preparing to do something similar to ETIAS but couldn't recall what it was called to find details on it.

4 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Thank you, this would have been my guess, just couldn't find the info anywhere.  And I do recall the UK preparing to do something similar to ETIAS but couldn't recall what it was called to find details on it.

I'm not sure about this, but in some (many? few? none??) ports, don't the local immigration officials work with the cruise ship staff to sort of pre-clear everyone from the paperwork on file with the ship?  In some places, I think the local officials come on board, but I also think in some... they don't.

And, of course, I also think I could be entirely wrong about this! 😲

GC

37 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

It does make sense that if our cruise leaves from the UK and then visits Schengen ports we would have to show passport at the first one but not every single one. 

I do not expect passport control - except for ETIAS there will be no change in border control when traveling from UK to Schengen area - today you only register your passport when boarding in UK - not when you reach the first Schengen Port. That will not change. 

36 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

And I do recall the UK preparing to do something similar to ETIAS but couldn't recall what it was called to find details on it.

Today UK ETA is required for few nationals but it will be expanded in the future.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-an-electronic-travel-authorisation-eta

4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I do not expect passport control - except for ETIAS there will be no change in border control when traveling from UK to Schengen area - today you only register your passport when boarding in UK - not when you reach the first Schengen Port. That will not change. 

Yeah, I misspoke; they would want to see it when we board in Southhampton, not wait until arrival in whatever the first port is. 

I think it depends on the itinerary; we've done loads of cruise ports without showing passports.

Most all of my cruising has been with ships that take your passport at boarding and return them at the end of the cruise.  They do all of the clearance work with the local authorities, processing all of the passports.  Some countries will require a face-to-face with immigration authorities - most recently, had that with Japan and some other Asian countries.  In India, everyone had to leave the ship and go through immigration ashore - passengers and crew.

So, yes....it depends.  Caribbean pretty much doesn't care - just bring money to spend.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

but as cruise passengers we won't officially "enter" those countries.

As someone who lives near a very active international border this comment truly gave me a chuckle.   We occasionally do see "cruise passengers" jump out of boats on the beach near were we live without officially entering the US.  🙂

I hope you are not offended by my sense of humor

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, SelectSys said:

As someone who lives near a very active international border this comment truly gave me a chuckle.   We occasionally do see "cruise passengers" jump out of boats on the beach near were we live without officially entering the US.  🙂

I hope you are not offended by my sense of humor

Funny enough (well, not really...) that "cruise" was probably more expensive than most people on this site are willing to pay. Less chance of an inside cabin, though...

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:01 AM, fbgd said:

No.

US Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents or those travelling on a valid visa do not require an ESTA.

Thanks for the response back.

• 3 weeks later...

I do think the OPs post might cause some confusion about an "ESTA" vs an "ETIAS."  The latter, still to be implemented at some time in the future, will have a major impact on US citizens traveling to Europe (Schengen countries).  But predicting when ETIAS will actually take effect, and the final rules, seems to be akin to playing roulette.  Anyone taking bets on whether ETIAS will actually be required in 2025?

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Anyone taking bets on whether ETIAS will actually be required in 2025?

I am aware that ETIAS has been delayed several times: technical complexity, interoperability requirements and legal and regulatory delays in the 30 Schengen member states. I find the ETIAS rules quite clear.

I am pretty sure that ETIAS will be introduced in 2025, albeit with some transitional arrangements.

I do not understand that it will have a greater impact on US citizens traveling to Europe than on Europeans traveling to the US and therefore needing an ESTA.

An ETIAS costs €7 for three years as opposed to ESTA which costs $21 for only 2 years. Furthermore, ETIAS will be free for persons under 18 and over 70.
Next year the UK will also introduce ETA which will cost £10 for two years.