Why was my cabin changed “due to operational guidelines”

RandS

I worry about this.  I check my app almost every day to see if I am still in the cabin that I chose.

I chose an obstructed OV with as little obstruction as possible, made sure it only held 2 people, (as I am travelling solo), made sure it was in a quiet location,and picked the date of my cruise based on that I could get this cabin. 

If they changed cabins before final payment I may very well have cancelled the cruise, but now..less than 2 weeks out...they got me right where they want me 😞

If they can change our cabins willy nilly whenever they want...why do they bother asking us to pick our our cabin??? I know they have the 'right' to based on fine print.. but come on... if it is just to juggle inventory I do not see that as fair. 

Anyway...for most people it may not be a big deal, and if I got a suitable replacement or OBC that made it worthwhile, then maybe it would not bother me so much. But...if they moved me to a 'similar' or 'better' in their eyes... but not so in my eyes...I wish there was compensation. I really wish they wouldn't do it at all.

i thought I was safe... being 2 weeks out, being a cabin for only 2, and non connecting cabin... but now I see that is exactly the same boat(pun..haha) the other poster was in!!!!

Oh I really hope they do not change my cabin!!!!

I do realize that I am being whiny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

Who did you go through to resolve this?

On my third call to the main number I got a different agent who said they would submit a request to have my original cabin reinstated. I thought it would be another dead end but I received the email with the second new cabin assignment which as I mentioned is acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, travelloverontario said:

I worry about this.  I check my app almost every day to see if I am still in the cabin that I chose.

I chose an obstructed OV with as little obstruction as possible, made sure it only held 2 people, (as I am travelling solo), made sure it was in a quiet location,and picked the date of my cruise based on that I could get this cabin. 

If they changed cabins before final payment I may very well have cancelled the cruise, but now..less than 2 weeks out...they got me right where they want me 😞

If they can change our cabins willy nilly whenever they want...why do they bother asking us to pick our our cabin??? I know they have the 'right' to based on fine print.. but come on... if it is just to juggle inventory I do not see that as fair. 

Anyway...for most people it may not be a big deal, and if I got a suitable replacement or OBC that made it worthwhile, then maybe it would not bother me so much. But...if they moved me to a 'similar' or 'better' in their eyes... but not so in my eyes...I wish there was compensation. I really wish they wouldn't do it at all.

i thought I was safe... being 2 weeks out, being a cabin for only 2, and non connecting cabin... but now I see that is exactly the same boat(pun..haha) the other poster was in!!!!

I agree it seems unfair but the cruise companies are all about optimizing for profit. And I say that as a shareholder.  I also wonder if being a solo cruiser is part of it. And I know that does sound whiny. I’m still grateful to be able to cruise even if I now am on my own. I will continue to check my app just in case.

1 hour ago, RandS said:

I agree it seems unfair but the cruise companies are all about optimizing for profit. And I say that as a shareholder.  I also wonder if being a solo cruiser is part of it. And I know that does sound whiny. I’m still grateful to be able to cruise even if I now am on my own. I will continue to check my app just in case.

IMHO...not whiny.  I book early and pay extra just to pick the cabin.  Although I generally got decent guaranteed cabins....I once got the worlds smallest cabin with just about no storage space on NCL.  Never again!

• Like 2

If I booked a suite on the Sun at current prices I would be very irritated.

I have been upgraded without notification which turned out to be a downgrade in my opinion and got stuck with it.  I had my TA mark no upgrade on that booking.  So, they can make changes, at will.

Posted (edited)

It is very annoying when Princess changes your cabin. Last December a week before my cruise I was upgraded from my carefully chosen cabin that I had booked nine months earlier and had marked "No Upgrade". While it was an upgrade it was to a cabin that I would never have chosen, I lost my large balcony and I would have preferred to stay in the cabin I had chosen. When I rang Princess I was told that my original cabin had been allocated to someone else and that as it was an upgrade and the ship was full nothing could be done. No apology and no explanation as to why we had been moved. We were moved from a two berth cabin to another two berth cabin, neither were adjoining or handicap accessible and I happened to find out that the new occupants of my original cabin were passengers. I know it is in the contract that Princess can change your cabin but it still isn't a pleasant Princess experience.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 2

Given that when selecting own cabin we pay a bit more than if selecting guarantee, does any-one know if the difference is reimbursed if they change your cabin like his?  Otherwise they are taking money for a service they don't provide.

Also just to comment that as suggested by another poster, I found the chat feature very good to get a matter resolved promptly.  After having previously left messages which went unanswered, the chat feature allowed me to join a queue, know how long it would take in the queue (where I was in the queue), and the chat was in real time.  I also found it easier to articulate my problem easier in writing than verbally trying to make some-one understand.Problem solved.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dreamin'ofthesea said:

Given that when selecting own cabin we pay a bit more than if selecting guarantee, does any-one know if the difference is reimbursed if they change your cabin like his?  Otherwise they are taking money for a service they don't provide.

I don't know about anyone else but I didn't receive anything but maybe it was because my change of cabin was an upgrade by Princess even though I didn't want it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

To add insult to injury it costs more to pick your own cabin. I would want a refund of the difference in price if they pick it in the end. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dreamin'ofthesea said:

Also just to comment that as suggested by another poster, I found the chat feature very good to get a matter resolved promptly.  After having previously left messages which went unanswered, the chat feature allowed me to join a queue, know how long it would take in the queue (where I was in the queue), and the chat was in real time.  I also found it easier to articulate my problem easier in writing than verbally trying to make some-one understand.Problem solved.

Re chat- they answered my first question but then started trying to sell me packages and ignored my second question. So, not for me.

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

To add insult to injury it costs more to pick your own cabin. I would want a refund of the difference in price if they pick it in the end. 

That's a very good point that I hadn't thought of before.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would not hold my breath waiting for a refund of the difference. The reality is you are NOT going to get it.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would not hold my breath waiting for a refund of the difference. The reality is you are NOT going to get it.

No doubt but I'm not about to accept a down grade if that's what it would be without a fight. That's called bait and switch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

No doubt but I'm not about to accept a down grade if that's what it would be without a fight. That's called bait and switch. 

The problem becomes what happens when they consider it an upgrade, but you do not. For them it is a higher, more expensive category while for you it is a location you do not want. As an example, they once "upgraded" us to a cabin below a bar where we only want cabins with other cabins above and below us.

Semi-related question:

Do I need a new medallion now that my cabin has changed?

I had already received my medallion before the cabin reassignment. 

In the Princess app it now says to pick up my medallion at check-in.

2 minutes ago, RandS said:

Semi-related question:

No, you use the same Medallion.  App just doesn’t update correctly.  

You go through the green lane with your Medallion and documents. Print out your travel summary also.  That should have your new cabin number.

Have fun!

• Like 2

I would myself contact the Princess executive team..you will have to jump through hoops but be patient and ask for some obc because of the cabin switch. Most times, they will give you $100 bucks or so as goodwill for putting you through distress so close to your cruise date. Princess very amenable usually. Be nice with them is the key. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure your having a cabin that fits 4 landed you ripe for a move. And in the contract, yes, they have the right to change your cabin for operational reasons which cover a myriad of reasons of which you will never be told which one but a simple ask for some obc might make you feel better. In over 30 years of cruising, there have been many operational changes o us and we always get some money given to us.

12 minutes ago, pink845 said:

I would myself contact the Princess executive team..you will have to jump through hoops but be patient and ask for some obc because of the cabin switch. Most times, they will give you $100 bucks or so as goodwill for putting you through distress so close to your cruise date. Princess very amenable usually. Be nice with them is the key. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure your having a cabin that fits 4 landed you ripe for a move. And in the contract, yes, they have the right to change your cabin for operational reasons which cover a myriad of reasons of which you will never be told which one but a simple ask for some obc might make you feel better. In over 30 years of cruising, there have been many operational changes o us and we always get some money given to us.

See OP post #21.  Not a 3/4 cabin...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandS said:

Semi-related question:

Did you pay to have the medallion sent to you? If so, I would ask for some OBC for that and for the fact that you were moved involuntarily. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Teechur said:

Did you pay to have the medallion sent to you? If so, I would ask for some OBC for that and for the fact that you were moved involuntarily. 

OP can use the Medallion that was mailed. NP

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

OP can use her Medallion that was mailed to her. NP

According to the author:

11 minutes ago, Teechur said:

According to the author:

That’s the great program of PCL IT at work. 🙄 

We’ve had last minute cabin changes and you don’t have to get a new one.

They can just use that one, it will pick up the new cabin info automatically.

Princess is very transparent with their ability to make cabin changes at their discretion without having to provide for any compensation.  It's among one of the first statements made in the Travel Summary.

I know many on here have their cabin preferences.  As someone who always books guarantee, the way I look at it is I can never be disappointed because I never chose my cabin number to begin with.  You can choose your cabin all you want, but if you have bad neighbors that slam doors, slam drawers, turn up the volume of the TV too loud, etc., choosing your cabin isn't really going to help you.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 133601.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2024 at 11:09 AM, memoak said:

They might not want to put a paying passenger there but might use it for a guest entertainer 

Gee... that makes ME feel SSOOO much better. 😁