Howl at the Moon

Just curious, what’s your favorite song to request when you’re at Howl at the Moon?  Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline is everybody’s favorite, but my personal favorite is Don McLean’s American Pie.  So what’s your request?

1 hour ago, mcmomny said:

Piano Man, Billy Joel

Back in 2011, we were cruising on the Carnival Valor and one evening we were sitting in the piano bar enjoying the music.  That is, until someone requested the piano player play Piano Man.  Wow, the piano player refused to play that song and got into a shouting match with the passenger.  They were still going at it when we walked out.

• Haha 4

I will tell you that they don't appreciate Gordon Lightfoot's Canadian Railway Trilogy (all 6 minutes and 22 seconds) or, in fact, any Lightfoot song.

• Haha 1

hey cruiser2015

by the time dion recorded runaround sue, he had already split from the belmonts.

as an aside, since i have never seen this show, do they actually know all these different songs?

16 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Yes they do! Very fun show!

and if they don't know the whole song, they will at least attempt the chorus and a verse or two.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline is everybody’s favorite

12 hours ago, richg35 said:

Pro tip - nobody wants to hear sweet caroline

When I was on the Escape a couple years ago the songs requested the most were probably Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believin' Oh, I believe one of the cast members actually commented that Sweet Caroline is THE most requested song and is the song she hates playing the most.

I was blown away by the talent among those four, everyone did everything - piano, guitar, drums, singing and having a personality.  I followed one of the cast members on SM, though I don't live in the area where she normally plays.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Never tried, but it wouldn’t be difficult. There are millions of songs.

There are, but they use a tablet with an extensive library and the players are excellent music sight readers.

Sure you could pick something entirely obscure but anything that ever had commercial airtime should be fair game and they’ll usually handle it well even if they’ve never played it before.

4 minutes ago, ryarger said:

There are, but they use a tablet with an extensive library and the players are excellent music sight readers.

Sure you could pick something entirely obscure but anything that ever had commercial airtime should be fair game and they’ll usually handle it well even if they’ve never played it before.

I’d agree that most of the stuff that the average person is likely to ask for is fairly easy to find online.

My son plays guitar and I have been quite surprised at how many songs he hasn’t been able to find tabs for online.

The question was whether anyone had tried to stump them. You aren’t going to do that by requesting the Beatles. It would have to be something that wasn’t particularly commercially successful but there are millions of songs that would do it.

1 hour ago, ryarger said:

That reminds me of a story that happened more than 40 years ago.  My wife and I along with her brother and his wife were in a bar with dueling pianos.  They were excellent.  My brother-in-law must have thought it was "stumped the band."  He put 2 dollars with his song request note and put it on the piano.  About 10 minutes later one of the piano players picks up his note, puts the money in his jar, and reads the song request which no one had heard of.  Then the piano player says, "what the Heck, what an idiot," crumbles up the request and throws it away, and moves on to the next request.  We laughed and laughed at my brother-in-law for wasting his 2 dollars.

• Haha 3

hey schmoop!  any baby boomer that had kids growing up in the 70's who let them watch sesame street, would immediately know that song.

if youre looking for ducks, try disco duck.

if someone really wants to hear "dion and the belmonts" try teenager in love, where or when, or (inho) one of the all time great doo wopp songs,  "i wonder why"

if you want to attempt to stump them

with 4 seasons, try the song "soon" or "tell it to the rain"  remember when you were discussing your cruise, and i suggested the doo wopp cruise. if youre a true fan, see if they know pizza pie by norman foxx and the rob roys, and if any cc posters remember that song, my hat is off to you .

as a final note "rubber duckie, i'm awfully fond of you"!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, complawyer said:

Love "Disco Duck".

Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots (greatest group name ever).

Edited by schmoopie17

I got to know the 3 players on one of my cruises really well.  They required requests be placed in a jar so they could sift them.  Here's what they did:

* spread out popular songs, saving things like piano man for later

* declined long songs (especially American Pie and Bohemian Rhapsody)

* favorited those with recurring sing-along choruses 

* And yes, when a request they didn't know intrigued them, the one rotated off would go learn it fast behind the scenes and when they came back they would lead on it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Love "Disco Duck".

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

And they can play Howard the Duck in the theater as the night's main entertainment.

• Haha 1

SING by My Chemical Romance

Popular by Ariana Grande/Mika

Why Why Why by Shawn Mendes

Hmm...I'm thinking I could stump them since no singers onboard seem to know anything after 1989 (must be something about the Berlin Wall timeframe). 

I suppose one could request an early Ricky Nelson song, like Travelin' Man or I'm Walking.

• Like 2

or poor little fool, hello mary lou ( for trivia fans, this one was written by gene pitney) im walking was originally a fats domino song.

fyi, for us very old baby boomers, we probably wouldnt recognize the 3 songs you mentioned  personally, i barely recognize the names of the artists you included.   remember in a prior quote,  a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, i posted i wouldnt  recognize any song by taylor swift if she sat  on my lap and serenaded me (lol) 

actually, this is  one of the reasons i dont care about the entertainment on board. anything after about 1980, doesnt really interest me, nor can i relate to it. donna show, disco in general, meh! had it's day, its run, and should be left to rest  in peace. this is only my opinion, no need to bash me in response.

most of the game shows also dont interest me, being the grumpy old curmudgeon that i am, i'd rather get a scotch, retire to my cabin, and read my kindle. 

except out next cruise in 30 days leaves from reykjavick, and i'm bound and determined to see the northern lights

3 minutes ago, complawyer said:

or poor little fool, hello mary lou ( for trivia fans, this one was written by gene pitney) im walking was originally a fats domino song.

fyi, for us very old baby boomers, we probably wouldnt recognize the 3 songs you mentioned  personally, i barely recognize the names of the artists you included.   remember in a prior quote,  a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, i posted i wouldnt  recognize any song by taylor swift if she sat  on my lap and serenaded me (lol) 

actually, this is  one of the reasons i dont care about the entertainment on board. anything after about 1980, doesnt really interest me, nor can i relate to it. donna show, disco in general, meh! had it's day, its run, and should be left to rest  in peace. this is only my opinion, no need to bash me in response.

most of the game shows also dont interest me, being the grumpy old curmudgeon that i am, i'd rather get a scotch, retire to my cabin, and read my kindle. 

except out next cruise in 30 days leaves from reykjavick, and i'm bound and determined to see the northern lights

I threw the Ricky songs in there for you! As you know, I do have eclectic taste - unfortunately, for me, this does not include most any songs from the 70's or 80's. That was my mom's music and I just cannot tolerate it. Give me 60's and before, or my music (late 90's through today) and I'm good! 

As such, I've determined Howl at the Moon is just not for me, which is fine. I also don't really care about the entertainment. If there is something I like, great. If not, I'll spend some time snuggling on my balcony or sweating it out in the sauna or sun deck! 

Best wishes with the northern lights!! If it doesn't work out, might I suggest a week stay in Fairbanks. It's not a cruise, but you'll have a good shot at seeing them with all the services of a city. 

I really do hope my retirement turns out like yours and Mrs. complawyer! Curmudgeonly and all!

ironic, that you would like music from the 60's or earlier, but not the 70's. how can you ignore songs like low spark of high heeled boys by traffic,  anything by bad company or the allman bros, how can anyone not love dickie betts  ramblin' man, or bad co. ready for love? just touching the very tip of the iceberg. Some of the stones best works were inthe 70's.

all that being said, i'm like my parents. the music i listed to, they hated. next generation, my kids/grandkids  what they have listed to, i absolutely despise, passionately!!!!!* 

* my daughter is 53, my son is turning 50 in oct, and my grandson 25 in nov.