Aurora - A Bear, Sweep and Others Go Baltic!

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

To anyone reading this does anyone know the relevance of the charming ceremonies we saw everywhere today with the children receiving bouquets and flowers at their various schools?  We really wanted to ask someone but felt we would be intruding on what were clearly very special and personal family occasions.

It's traditional - first day of the new school year.

https://news.err.ee/116611/school-s-back-it-s-knowledge-day-in-estonia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks for doing this @Megabear2.  I think you are making comments on an ad hoc basis so I thought I'd tell you how much I enjoy reading your (and others') live reports.

I've nothing to add really, since I have never travelled on Aurora and never will, since low beds are a no-no for me, and I stored this fact up from Selbourne's trip, although at the time, I wondered if it was only adapted cabins that had low beds, but clearly it is not.

Thanks again - I hope you are all really enjoying yourselves.

I have been on Aurora 3 times and never found the beds to be any lower than any of the 4 other P and O ships I've been on. In fact Aurora is my favourite ship, being very traditional, adult only with very friendly and happy crew. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

To anyone reading this does anyone know the relevance of the charming ceremonies we saw everywhere today with the children receiving bouquets and flowers at their various schools?  We really wanted to ask someone but felt we would be intruding on what were clearly very special and personal family occasions.

Apparently it is a tradition in that part of the world (Latvia, Lithuania and Russia too) that children bring flowers to give to their teachers on the first day of the new school year (which I believe was the day you saw them). The number of flowers should be odd, as an even number indicates a funeral gift of flowers, but perhaps no-one really minds nowadays. So perhaps the children weren't receiving them, but instead were holding them in preparation for giving them to their teachers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 6:15 AM, Megabear2 said:

I would agree with a standard of clothing being maintained under normal circumstances but as this was boarding day and we were passing through not looking to stop and on a ship we have no knowledge of so were unaware it even was Andersons. It was 5.45pm and we were also wearing in my case linen full length trousers and in my OH's case smart chinos and the tshirts were high quality plain affairs from Crew so not exactly scruffy leisure wear.  

Disappointed to read, given your prediction a few months previous, that your t-shirts didn't have on them the slogan, "D'ya like dags"? 🤭

Thank you for the informative posts.👍🏻

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you for your kind comments. On this trip as I'm with my husband and family I am just popping in and out.  

I can confirm you are right about the beds they are indeed low and in our case a bit saggy making it more so - must be all my extra weight from the food!

We are once again blessed with glorious weather after the bucket loads Helsinki threw at us on both mornings.  However both afternoons were lovely and sunny so we had good fortune on that front too.

We are just leaving Tallin where we arrived last night at 11.00pm.  Again a beautiful place full of marvellous architecture and history.

No idea about the flowers...perhaps a harvest festival at a guess. Tallin is my favourite city with all its attractions in the old quarter and the two churches are beautiful. I always pair it with Brugge as to me they are very similar in layout. Visiting the Baltic again next year and hope the Russians behave themselves so as not to prevent a Tallin visit. I never realised they were so close! One place I miss on these Baltic cruises is St Petersburg as, despite 3 visits, I still haven't seen all I want to. Hope the rest of your cruise is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Funboy said:

No idea about the flowers...perhaps a harvest festival at a guess. Tallin is my favourite city with all its attractions in the old quarter and the two churches are beautiful. I always pair it with Brugge as to me they are very similar in layout. Visiting the Baltic again next year and hope the Russians behave themselves so as not to prevent a Tallin visit. I never realised they were so close! One place I miss on these Baltic cruises is St Petersburg as, despite 3 visits, I still haven't seen all I want to. Hope the rest of your cruise is good.

I agree that Tallin is a lovely place to visit and I would hate to see the Russians to start moving in on more of the Baltic States.

Like you we have done 3 cruises that took in St Petersburg and we also did a land tour during the Gorbachev era that gave us 3 days in St Petersburg before taking the Trans Siberian Express to go to Lake Baikal for a week.

I am just glad that we got to see these places when we could.

I hope you get to go back to Tallin next year on your Baltic cruise.

• Like 5

Huge excitement ... we have food in The Glass House!!!!!

We shall be giving it our full attention tomorrow evening. It is a new menu, sadly the scotch eggs are no more but the scallops and prawns should morr than make up for it.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Any update on the pineapple?   🍍

Oh yes! Did your BiL actually go and investigate, MB?  If he doesn't know, it's three rapid knocks, followed by a gentle single knock, then two more rapid knocks; or so I'm told by a friend! 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

A very good morning from Lithuania where we arrived yesterday afternoon.  Things with us going well, unfortunately not for some of the family.

Three of our party have become very unwell with a flu like virus. Thankfully no one is testing as having covid but one of them is very unwell indeed and is due to see the ship's medical team this morning. Luckily I am a walking chemist so have been able to provide cold capsules, paracetamol, cough sweets etc.  There is general concern whether more of us are going to be struck down so I'm also using First Defence as I find it can help prevent and reduce these types of illness.

In other news my BIL has had his cabin condemned after the toilet leaked and overflowed again last night. They have been given another cabin at the opposite end of the deck.  No help with moving was offered and we have all had to help packing it up and trundling up and down the corridor.  Some of their shoes etc are soaked unfortunately.

Disappointingly P&O have little interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kittyonions said:

If it’s not too much trouble Megabear, is there any chance you could post the new menu for the Glass House. How fortunate that it has opened in time for your anniversary.

I will take photos later today and post.  The tapas etc are now by the Spanish food hero.  Sadly the salmon scotch egg, my personal favourite, is no more.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

A very good morning from Lithuania where we arrived yesterday afternoon.  Things with us going well, unfortunately not for some of the family.

Three of our party have become very unwell with a flu like virus. Thankfully no one is testing as having covid but one of them is very unwell indeed and is due to see the ship's medical team this morning. Luckily I am a walking chemist so have been able to provide cold capsules, paracetamol, cough sweets etc.  There is general concern whether more of us are going to be struck down so I'm also using First Defence as I find it can help prevent and reduce these types of illness.

In other news my BIL has had his cabin condemned after the toilet leaked and overflowed again last night. They have been given another cabin at the opposite end of the deck.  No help with moving was offered and we have all had to help packing it up and trundling up and down the corridor.  Some of their shoes etc are soaked unfortunately.

Disappointingly P&O have little interest.

Sorry that some of your family are feeling unwell, it is fortunate that you are a walking chemist, my sisters call me the travelling pharmacy but I find it easier than trying to buy over the counter meds in foreign ports.

Poor response from P&O following your BiL's cabin problems.

I hope things are better today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

P&O's response to the necessary cabin move is disappointing to say the very least!  Really poor.

I hope that all those affected by illness make quick recoveries so that you may continue to enjoy your family holiday.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 5:11 PM, Selbourne said:

I’m pleased to hear it. We were surprised to find that the MDR food was disappointing during our 65 nighter, as we’d had no issues on our 8 previous cruises on Aurora. Although it seems illogical, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Executive Chef makes a big difference.

Not illogical at all, we’ve said the same for years. In particular we remember Carl Withers menus just not being to our taste when he was EC on P&O for many years. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Three of our party have become very unwell with a flu like virus.  There is general concern whether more of us are going to be struck down so I'm also using First Defence as I find it can help prevent and reduce these types of illness.

Many thanks for the tip - I have not heard of this product before. Looked it up and ordered on ebay straight away - it will arrive in time for my upcoming cruise - just hope we don't need it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

Many thanks for the tip - I have not heard of this product before. Looked it up and ordered on ebay straight away - it will arrive in time for my upcoming cruise - just hope we don't need it!

I find paracetamol is a great first defense against colds, flu, upset stomach as well as headaches and general pain relief. It may well be a placebo effect, but it works for me, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than proprietary medicines.

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I find paracetamol is a great first defense against colds, flu, upset stomach as well as headaches and general pain relief. It may well be a placebo effect, but it works for me, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than proprietary medicines.

My now retired G P told me that years ago. Don’t waste money on fancy packaging , names and unnecessary extra ingredients. Plain old paracetamol will do the job. 30 years later I still follow that advice and like you find it works just as well. 

Good morning on another glorious day here in Bornholm.  It is our wedding anniversary today and we were delighted to receive a huge tray of food and a bottle of champagne from my P&O contact.  It took two people to carry and the amount of food would feed an army.  

My BIL is now confined to his cabin with what is being described as full blown 'flu.  As he has a very serious history of double pneumonia and chest problems he is under regular monitoring as a precaution.

The other two wounded are far better today after dosing themselves with paracetamol and cold capsules from my medical chest.

Cabin gate has had a weird but good outcome.  After being moved yesterday a call was received for a meeting with a senior staff member down at reception.  This person was concerned at the list of problems experienced by my BIL - 4 toilet breakdowns, three water leaks, four lock failures and a flood in total.  Apparently they had only just become aware of this long list and by way of apology have sent them a huge bouquet of flowers, two good quality bottles of wine and  the best bit moved them again into a deluxe balcony cabin on B deck.

The original flooded cabin has been almost gutted yesterday afternoon and a broken pipe has been found.  To effect repairs the occupants of 15 other cabins have been told they cannot use their cabins for an unspecified time as their ceilings are to be removed to allow the pipe repairs.  Apparently some unhappy people as a result

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We use First Defence as recommended by our GP.  Both my husband and I take the maximum allowed dose of paracetamol in our other medications. The recommendation is made as it is a barrier defence rather than a treatment for an illness already embedded. 

Boots actually make a generic version of the spray which is quite effective.  The branded bottle is £7.65 and taken at the first sign of a cold/virus such as a scratchy throat or a runny nose.  It's purpose is to help your body fight the development and we find it works extremely well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Cabin gate has had a weird but good outcome.  After being moved yesterday a call was received for a meeting with a senior staff member down at reception.  This person was concerned at the list of problems experienced by my BIL - 4 toilet breakdowns, three water leaks, four lock failures and a flood in total. 

I wonder if there is some concern that these problems have caused your BiL to be ill and that there may be repercussions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning on another glorious day here in Bornholm.  It is our wedding anniversary today and we were delighted to receive a huge tray of food and a bottle of champagne from my P&O contact.  It took two people to carry and the amount of food would feed an army.  

Wishing you both a very happy anniversary.  Enjoy the food, bubbles and the rest of your cruise. 

Hope your BIL gets better soon so that he too can enjoy the cruise and the well deserved cabin upgrade. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, @Megabear2 ❤️ 

Good news on the cabin move and other compensatory items for your BiL. At least he'll be able to get some fresh air instead of suffering in an inside cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1