Half Moon Cay

Half Moon Cay is one of our stops this spring on the Rotterdam. I have had skin cancer, so I avoid exposure to the sun. I have read there is not much shade on the island. I considered a clamshell but heard they can be very hot. The cabanas must be sold out, none are available. Another thing I read was if you walked all the way down the beach close to where they rent horses, shade can be found and there are lounge chairs around. We are not really beach people but would enjoy sitting in shade if we can find it. I also read that when here all restaurants are closed for lunch on the ship as they provide a barbecue on the beach. We also considered just staying on the ship with everyone gone. How much luck will we find looking for shade? 

• Like 1

If you are willing to walk several hundred yards from the main swimming area of Half Moon Cay, you will find shade from the trees that are at the perimeter of the sand areas.  While I have never had skin cancer, I am very fair skinned and must be careful about exposure to the sun.  In short, you won't have any difficulty finding shade.

• Like 2

Yes, there is a BBQ ashore, but the Lido and Dive In will be open on the ship. I can't speak for the Deli, but would expect it to be open as well. The MDR is never open in any port for lunch.

The cabanas are listed as shore excursions. No cabana shows on the excursions pages? That would be unusual this far out. Closer, I might expect the cabanas to be sold out.

• Like 2

We, too, need to look for shade. Clam shell really doesn't do much because the sand will reflect the sun. Lots of sun block before we get on the tender and keep re-appying  while ashore. DH, now under the watchful eye of Dana Faber Dermatology, said no baseball hat, wear a wide brim safari type hat. We only plan a few hours on Half Moon [it's not a long day for our cruise], and then head back to the ship and chill out in the solarium. The cabana cost on Half Moon seems $$ for such a short time, but our full day at Amber Cove will see us in one of their cabanas. 

Darcy

There is a "pirate ship" a couple of hundred yards down the beach.  Easy to see.  It is also a bar inside.  It is shaded and they have fans.  Sometimes it can get hot.  Just FYI if you are on HIA beverage package it is not accepted on HMC.

DW has had so many skin cancers removed she has no desire to expose herself to the sun.  We usually stay on the ship and the already mentioned places are open for lunch.  Since you are on the Rotterdam they have a Grand Dutch Cafe and it will also be open.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 8:01 AM, Astromaid said:

Another thing I read was if you walked all the way down the beach close to where they rent horses, shade can be found and there are lounge chairs around.

This is what we do.....and we head out early in the morning and find the lounge chairs that are under the trees at the beach....pleasant....Also, it's been a 1.5 years since last at HMC but there were also some hammocks (w/no surcharge, LOL) under the trees at that area (Please do not tell anyone). Shady. 

My suggestion, go early, walk down the beach to the shady spots, go to lunch BBQ when it first opens and then head back to the ship....For us, it's too much of a visual paradise to miss...And you can manage/minimize the sun.

Enjoy Half Moon Cay!

• Like 2

There are areas for shade on the island.  Next to some buildings, you can tuck away, or find a palm tree to get some shade. It would be a real shame to stay onboard.  It's one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and I am one who loves, loves, loves going there. Cover up, use sunscreen, and enjoy paradise.

• Like 2

I may be quirky but for me the highlight of HMC is visiting the sting rays. You book it as an excursion but it's ridiculously cheap. The young people manning the pen couldn't be more upbeat and congenial. They are gorgeous animals and have personalities like dogs. It's one of my happy places.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I may be quirky but for me the highlight of HMC is visiting the sting rays. You book it as an excursion but it's ridiculously cheap. The young people manning the pen couldn't be more upbeat and congenial. They are gorgeous animals and have personalities like dogs. It's one of my happy places.

We did the stingray snorkel excursion at HMC a couple years ago and LOVED it. You're right - they're incredibly docile creatures w/unique personalities and the handlers were terrific.