Required entry documents for Barbados

I have cruised to the Caribbean many times from the US and visited Barbados a handful of times. My Daughter and her husband are accompanying us on a 9-Day closed loop out of Miami in Jan 25. They are both US citizens with no passports. I highlighted the required documents section from NCL website to reassure them that their BC along with a valid Gov ID will suffice for our cruise because it is closed loop from Miami, not traveling to Panama and not traveling to Colombia. Of course they double checked me and found that Barbados requires cruise ship passengers to be in possession of a valid passport. I did a quick Google search and found this to be true. Is this new?  Last time I cruised to Barbados was pre-covid and this was not a requirement. The official Barbados.gov website isn't too clear about visitors arriving via cruise ships for a day visit. Can any recent cruisers to Barbados shed some light on this?  There is time for both of them to get a passport book or card but they don't want the added cost. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

I have cruised to the Caribbean many times from the US and visited Barbados a handful of times. My Daughter and her husband are accompanying us on a 9-Day closed loop out of Miami in Jan 25. They are both US citizens with no passports. I highlighted the required documents section from NCL website to reassure them that their BC along with a valid Gov ID will suffice for our cruise because it is closed loop from Miami, not traveling to Panama and not traveling to Colombia. Of course they double checked me and found that Barbados requires cruise ship passengers to be in possession of a valid passport. I did a quick Google search and found this to be true. Is this new?  Last time I cruised to Barbados was pre-covid and this was not a requirement. The official Barbados.gov website isn't too clear about visitors arriving via cruise ships for a day visit. Can any recent cruisers to Barbados shed some light on this?  There is time for both of them to get a passport book or card but they don't want the added cost. 

If Barbados says you need a Passport, then I wouldn't question them.  

They have enough time.  Get the passport.  

There is no way, no how I would risk the cruise because of no passport.  Even any advice here (including mine) would make me go against what the official Barbados requirements that are published.

I can't even find the Barbados.gov WEB site you referenced to find any info.

It's just part of the cost of traveling internationally.  Plus, having a Passport will open a whole new avenue to travel a lot of different places they would not have been able to previously.

Personally, given the way things can change, I would always have a Passport with me regardless of the foreign country I'm visiting.  It's a small price to pay to provide iron clad proof of U.S. Citizenship in case something goes sideways in a foreign land.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 9

The answers received were not helpful. I always travel with  passport but the other couple does not. I don't need a lesson on the  value of having a passport as I've been all over the world and have had both an official US Passport and a Tourist passport for about 45 years. I always s present a passport at cruise check-in so not sure if this was a requiement for that particular destination or not. I was inquiring from others on CC who have cruised a closed loop which included a Barbados stop with a birth certificate and driver's license. Thanks again

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

The answers received were not helpful. I always travel with  passport but the other couple does not. I don't need a lesson on the  value of having a passport as I've been all over the world and have had both an official US Passport and a Tourist passport for about 45 years. I always s present a passport at cruise check-in so not sure if this was a requiement for that particular destination or not. I was inquiring from others on CC who have cruised a closed loop which included a Barbados stop with a birth certificate and driver's license. Thanks again

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal. On cruises that begin and end in the same US port and do not sail through the Panama Canal or to any South American ports, you are required to carry one of the below documents:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (enhanced driver’s licenses are only issued in Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington)
  • A valid passport card

Photocopies or pictures of documents will not be accepted.

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

A valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one US port and end in another US port.

Posted (edited)

According to information I found from Allianz Travel, although you might not need a passport to board a closed loop cruise, you would need a passport to enter a country which requires it.  And YES, Barbados does require a passport for entry.

Here is the article I found...

Which Cruises Don’t Require a Passport?

Not all cruises have the same passport requirements. If you’ve heard about an international cruise where a passport isn’t required, that’s most likely a “closed-loop” cruise. A closed-loop cruise is one that starts and finishes at the same U.S. port and only sails to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or the Bahamas.1

For these cruises, you do not need a passport for re-entry into the United States. American citizens do, however, need:

• Proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate, a passport card, or a passport.
  • Proof of identification, such as a driver's license or official picture ID.

Get more information on the documents needed for a closed-loop cruise.

Keep in mind that, while you may not need a passport to embark on a closed-loop cruise and return home, you might need it to enter certain countries along the way. It’s best to check the specific entry requirements for each foreign port you’ll be visiting before leaving your passport at home.

Edited by vince_g

Posted (edited)

OP...so our answers were "not helpful".  You asked.  We answered.  You didn't ask for only answers you would like.  

Barbados requires the passport.  They are definitive about it.

https://www.visitbarbados.org/plan-your-trip/visa-and-entry-requirements

Even if you believe the answers aren't clear, do you really want to take the chance of being left at the pier (and forfeiting your cruise fare) because you didn't have a Passport?  

But, do what you want.  You asked if anyone has sailed to Barbados with just a Birth Certificate and a Driver's License.  I never have.  I sail a lot, and have sailed to Barbados more than a few times.  I know of no one who has had any other ID but a Passport. 

Again, you have plenty of time to get one.

Edited by graphicguy

No doubt the web page cited by  @graphicguy is addressing travel to Barbados by air. it's not  uncommon for such sites to not address exceptions to passport rules for cruise ship passengers. The website is published by Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc. and should not be relied upon as an official government document.

@BirdTravels has correctly cited NCL's requirements, which clearly allow WHTI alternative documentation for US citizens on a closed loop cruise. Further, the US Department of State agrees with NCL's version, clearly stating the cruise exception to the passport requirement:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Barbados.html

"Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport to enter Barbados. No visa is needed for stays up to 6 months.

NOTE: Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Barbados, as well as proof of anticipated departure from Barbados. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel. Those traveling to Barbados on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air."

@razor7_us : While I certainly recommend that all international travelers have a passport, and your family members certainly have enough time to obtain them, based on the above both your cruise line and the US government are stating that a passport would not be required for a US citizen taking this cruise. An official birth certificate and government issued photo ID will suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Again, doesn't matter to me.  

But, the web site I linked made no mention of traveling by sea, air, or any other means.  Only that a Passport is required to enter Barbados.

Not sure what would make any person comfortable with the requirements, but here's another link to them....

https://barbados.org/docs_requirements.htm

https://immigration.gov.bb/pages/visitor.aspx

Edited by graphicguy

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Again, doesn't matter to me.  

But, the web site I linked made no mention of traveling by sea, air, or any other means.  Only that a Passport is required to enter Barbados.

Not sure what would make any person comfortable with the requirements, but here's another link to them....

https://barbados.org/docs_requirements.htm

Again, the US Department of State says that although passports are required to enter Barbados there is an exception for cruise passengers. This is a very, very common exception in the Caribbean due to the agreements reached between the US and most Caribbean countries under the WHTI.

When your cruise line and the Department of State agree on the requirements, I would not rely on a tourism marketing corporation site that has contradictory information as it is not an official government site. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Again, the US Department of State says that although passports are required to enter Barbados there is an exception for cruise passengers. This is a very, very common exception in the Caribbean due to the agreements reached between the US and most Caribbean countries under the WHTI.

That's what the U.S. says.  Not what Barbados says.

And even accepting what the U.S. states (again, not what Barbados has published), it's STRONGLY suggested to have a Passport for all the obvious reasons they state.  

But, OP...go with the answer you want.  It really doesn't matter to any of us here.

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That's what the U.S. says.  Not what Barbados says.

And even accepting what the U.S. states (again, not what Barbados has published), it's STRONGLY suggested to have a Passport for all the obvious reasons they state.  

But, OP...go with the answer you want.  It really doesn't matter to any of us here.

You're missing the point that it is NOT a government of Barbados website that is saying a passport is required, it's a tourism marketing organization. Huge difference.

I also suggest always using a passport when undertaking international travel, and said so in my first post of this thread in my comments directed to the OP.

Further, "STRONGLY suggested" is not the same as REQUIRED.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Barbados requires the passport.  They are definitive about it.

But isn't that true of most/all countries? If you are crossing their borders (other than a close loop cruise), you need a passport to go through an airport point of entry (POE), sea (private yacht landing) or land POE.

The snip below shows the entry requirements for the Bahamas. But, you can get on a closed loop cruise and land in Nassau or GSC without whipping out a passport. 

PASSPORTS

Passports are required by all persons entering The Bahamas.

There are exceptions for certain types of entry. Folks need to follow the exact requirements of their carrier (in this case NCL) which may (are) different that something you find surfing the internet. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to an article from US News and World Report.  Be sure to scroll down to the section that tells you which closed loop cruises require a passport.  Barbados definitely is mentioned in that section.

Here's When You Need (and Don't Need) a Passport to Cruise (usnews.com)

If for some reason, one of the travelers needed to fly home from Barbados, that would require a passport.  It is always better to have a document you know will work.  Why take the chance it won't???

Just posting what the section regarding closed loop cruises says.  Note that it says passport would be required despite the WHTI exception...

When you need a passport for closed-loop cruises

Some cruise itineraries include foreign ports that require a passport for disembarkation. This is most commonly an issue for travelers on a closed-loop Caribbean cruise. Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barts, and Trinidad and Tobago all require U.S. citizens to present a valid passport to disembark and enter the country, despite WHTI regulations not requiring a passport for these destinations. Labadee, Royal Caribbean's private island, is an exception and does not require a passport despite its location in Haiti.

If your itinerary includes a country requiring a U.S. passport, your cruise line will require you to have the passport at check-in. Note that your passport must not expire within six months of your arrival in a foreign country or else it won't be considered valid for international travel.

Edited by vince_g

Another example of a country's tourism agency omitting mention of the exception to passport requirements for US citizens on a closed loop cruise, and it's a biggie...Bermuda.

Thousands of US citizens cruise to Bermuda every week, and no doubt hundreds do so without a passport...but here's what Bermuda's tourism agency says"

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bermuda-arrival-card

"Getting to Bermuda has never been easier!

All you need is your valid passport and the Bermuda Arrival Card"

No...sorry...US citizens on a closed loop cruise do not need a passport and no cruise passenger, regardless of citizenship, has to complete a Bermuda Arrival Card...it's for airline passengers and those arriving by private yacht.

Well…you might not have to worry about it. NCL is cutting ports from itineraries and replacing them with a sea day for “fuel optimization as part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts”. 

Happened to us on Breakaway in June with Tortola being cut. And now in December on Viva with Bonaire getting cut and on Joy with Ensenada being cut. 

image.png.248f70988e599c7b0ce29fe55857f930.png

BUT ... it is highly advisable to obtain passports for overseas travel, in case things go wrong (examples are: falling ill or be involved in accident and need to be hospitalized ashore, miss the ship, be kicked off ship, ship gets into trouble that require passengers be flown back to the US) and you're stuck in a foreign country and need to travel back to the USA. Passport books, not passport cards.

• Like 2

I'm amazed at the number of US people that don't have passports and yet want to travel! Yes, I know you can go to lots of places without one, but for heaven's sake... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2