Confusion over dress code...Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and Manhattan

Let me preface this by saying we have been on several NCL cruises. However, for the life of me, I don't recall which restaurants require long pants and collared shirts. (NCL's website is no help. It says collared shirts and long pants are required in some restaurants, but doesn't specify which...at least not that these old eyes can see).

From experience, I'm pretty sure Le Bistro requires them. I seem to recall Manhattan having this requirement, since it is the primary, more "elegant" MDR. But recently I have seen discussions where this is not the case. Not sure about Ocean Blue (I'm pretty sure not, but want to verify).

I'm asking because in a couple weeks we're doing a Med cruise on the Escape with a couple who are cruise virgins. We are all taking carry-ons, so packing space is at a premium and would like to not have to pack more than necessary.

Grazie (boning up on my Italian)...

• Like 1

Technically, it is Le Bistro (who will call to remind you to show up with long pants). 

On ships with an Ocean Blue/ Bayamo/ Palomar, they are supposed to enforce a long pants policy. 

On ships without an Ocean Blue/ Bayamo/ Palomar, long pants are required in the aft main dining room (small ships and the Epic). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

BUT- if you dine al fresco at any of them, no dress code at all (my personal choice)!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that in my original post.

Thanks for the other info,

• Like 1

Never had an issue dining at Ocean Blu while wearing shorts.  LeBistro is the only restaurant where I got pushback.  I had to remind their hostess that I was dining outside, and long pants were not required.

Silly rule.  I can dine outside (which I prefer) in shorts.  And, 12" away, at a window I'm sitting next to, they require long pants.

I say, quit the facade.  There is no difference between LeBistro or Cagney's.  They're both specially restaurants with different cuisines.  Actually, the atmosphere at Cagney's is probably a little more upscale than LeBistro.  Yet, one requires long pants and the other doesn't.  

NCL, who began to bury all the "formal" stuff to begin with, should just be done with it, once and for all.

(stepping off soapbox)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You will see all kinds of dress in every restaurant, as it has been stated some require nicer clothes.  The ladies usually dress well some guys not so much. We saw a guy turned away because he wore a muscle shirt and ragged shorts his better half was dressed well. He made a fuss of course and was eventfully let in. Some wear their ball caps sideways or backwards to look more formal.  

Haven't done Ocean Blue or Le Bistro yet - but the Manhattan dining room seemed to have a wide array in how people were dressed. Some people were totally dressed up, others were EXTREMELY casual. I didn't see anyone dressed in anything truly ragged and no one looking like they came in straight from the pool or a beach. 

I would suggest having at least one nicer looking "smart casual" with a collared shirt outfit in case you happen to be on a cruise who's crew pays more attention to dress code, and just double check dining room dress codes when you get to the ship. You could always wear the same nicer outfit just for dinners in which the dress code is adhered to. I think the freestyle daily listed some dresscode info where it was required. 

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Let me preface this by saying we have been on several NCL cruises. However, for the life of me, I don't recall which restaurants require long pants and collared shirts. (NCL's website is no help. It says collared shirts and long pants are required in some restaurants, but doesn't specify which...at least not that these old eyes can see).

From experience, I'm pretty sure Le Bistro requires them. I seem to recall Manhattan having this requirement, since it is the primary, more "elegant" MDR. But recently I have seen discussions where this is not the case. Not sure about Ocean Blue (I'm pretty sure not, but want to verify).

I'm asking because in a couple weeks we're doing a Med cruise on the Escape with a couple who are cruise virgins. We are all taking carry-ons, so packing space is at a premium and would like to not have to pack more than necessary.

Grazie (boning up on my Italian)...

I have dined at every specialty dining on every ship I have sailed.  I ALWAYS wear Levi blue jeans and a t-shirt and have NEVER had an issue.  Some may SUGGEST a collared shirt but NONE actually require it.

28 minutes ago, armwinder said:

You will see all kinds of dress in every restaurant, as it has been stated some require nicer clothes.  The ladies usually dress well some guys not so much. We saw a guy turned away because he wore a muscle shirt and ragged shorts his better half was dressed well. He made a fuss of course and was eventfully let in. Some wear their ball caps sideways or backwards to look more formal.  

One should NEVER wear a cap while dining, verey bad manners.  Also wearing a cap sideways/backwards not only look very silly, it is quite juvenile to say the least.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Never had an issue dining at Ocean Blu while wearing shorts.  LeBistro is the only restaurant where I got pushback.  I had to remind their hostess that I was dining outside, and long pants were not required.

Silly rule.  I can dine outside (which I prefer) in shorts.  And, 12" away, at a window I'm sitting next to, they require long pants.

Ridiculous rule.

Due to your minimalist packing from the Joy Bermuda cruise, you owe me one Le Bistro dinner as we were denied seating.

Next time pack a pair of yoga pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ridiculous rule.

Due to your minimalist packing from the Joy Bermuda cruise, you owe me one Le Bistro dinner as we were denied seating.

Join me on the Getaway on December 1, and LeBistro dinner is on me!!!!😎

• Haha 1

dont know if this was mentioned in the discussion over long pants, but le bistro, definitely

requires collared shirts.

never had a problem getting seating in sweat pants or jeans

@schmoopie17 I was on the Escape in May. Le Bistro was the only specialty dining restaurant that had a dress code unless dining al fresco, requiring men to wear pants, collared shirts and closed-toe shoes. I did not dine at Manhattan so do not know whether there was a dress code.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Join me on the Getaway on December 1, and LeBistro dinner is on me!!!!😎

How clever of you to book the Getaway for that week when clearly you were aware I would be out of the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

we were sent back to our room to change after showing up to Ocean Blu on Breakaway last year with my 15 year old son wearing nice linen shorts. He only had track pants- and they said they preferred he change into those. So he did but it made no sense. He had a button down shirt on and real shoes. The shorts were much dressier.

So YES the dress code is enforced at least sometimes!

There is always confusion about this. Five years or so ago, I was another passenger's guest at a platinum dinner in Cagney's. (Platinum certificates are for two.) He insisted that I had to change to long trousers, but the information in the Freestyle Daily did not say that.

53 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Never understood the big deal about shorts in a dining room. You are sitting at a table. If somebody walks by and looks down there....well that's just weird!

I've never understood why some feel compelled to crawl around under tables to check whether some are wearing shorts.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

we were sent back to our room to change after showing up to Ocean Blu on Breakaway last year with my 15 year old son wearing nice linen shorts. He only had track pants- and they said they preferred he change into those. So he did but it made no sense. He had a button down shirt on and real shoes. The shorts were much dressier.

So YES the dress code is enforced at least sometimes!

In 2022 we witnessed a confrontation at Le Bistro where the matre'd would not seat a man wearing shorts.  The man became quite upset but the matre'd stood firm.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

One should NEVER wear a cap while dining, verey bad manners.  Also wearing a cap sideways/backwards not only look very silly, it is quite juvenile to say the least.

We were on the Prima a few months back and a family of four entered the main dining room all wearing ball caps. They were asked to remove them and they did so and immediately put them back on. Nothing could be done apparently. Some think Freestyle refers to the lack of any kind of dress code. In fact it is all about dining time options and choices. It matters little I suppose in the big scheme of things, etiquette is becoming lost.  It sure is nice to have dinner with others who are dressed respectfully though and not like slobs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

How clever of you to book the Getaway for that week when clearly you were aware I would be out of the country.

No sympathy on this end.  I’ll

b e dodging vendors in Cozumel trying to sell t-shirts.  You’ll be touring historically significant western civilization  sights!

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I say, quit the facade.  There is no difference between LeBistro or Cagney's.  They're both specially restaurants with different cuisines.  Actually, the atmosphere at Cagney's is probably a little more upscale than LeBistro.  Yet, one requires long pants and the other doesn't.  

NCL, who began to bury all the "formal" stuff to begin with, should just be done with it, once and for all.

(stepping off soapbox)

On our Joy cruise in June, T was called and told long pants were required in Ocean Blue. 

And I agree...make it consistent across the board. I'd rather see @graphicguyin his shorts than long pants anyday...IYKYK.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Ridiculous rule.

@graphicguyYou owe me one too! 

And while you didn't invite me to go on the Getaway, I am respectfully declining due to lack of vacation days and money. 🙂 

• Haha 2